CrazyBoards.org

And I've read some information on depersonalization/derealization. Which is my spectrum. 

I still don't know how I feel about this. I almost feel"Super" crazy. Like I'm worse off than I first thought.

Any replies are welcome

You are still you.

Dissociation is very severely under-researched - even more so than trauma, which is really only researched in war vets and so doesn't reflect the many ways that people can be traumatized out in the real world. I don't think that you're "super crazy" just for dissociating. All people dissociate - it's called daydreaming, or highway hypnosis, when the non-crazy do it.

• Like 5

Hi

i was dx with depersonalization disorder. It was not a total surprise, i went to a pdoc that works with trauma and dissociative disorders. I know i dissociate, i get startled when it stops, but i did not know it was enough to be a disorder.  And, we discussed some childhood trauma, just so he would have background and it shook me how all the things that i minimize add up.

mine is wose when i am anxious, so any stress management, or things that relieve anxiety help.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I can really relate. Stress does bring it on for sure!

One time I was having sex with my ex bf and left my body for a brief moment. It was actually kind of cool. But my therapist said not to try to make it happen again.

1 hour ago, WinterRosie said:

All people dissociate - it's called daydreaming, or highway hypnosis, when the non-crazy do it.

Thank you so much for that. My therapist even said other mental health professional s don't even think it exists.

I would advise that you seek out your own personal research on dissociation for the sake of your sanity. Dissociation is a typical response to traumatic events, especially those that occurred in childhood. It may be worth exploring how long you have noticed it for, and if it is in fact some kind of alert that your brain and nervous system are reacting to something it perceived as a threat. 

I have various types of dissociation myself and at this point no professional considers it a problem, and none have really been able to grasp what I am talking about. For me, I have it because I got stuck in a freeze response during childhood trauma that persisted for my entire childhood. My brain thinks it is a normal skill to use and it got stuck in it. 

I also have it for other reasons that I won't go into here. For me it is not scary and I don't think I am super crazy because of it, but that's just because it has been there for so long. It would be a problem for me if it somehow went away because its basically part of my life. 

If relevant, perhaps some research on complex PTSD would be useful. Most articles and books about it discuss dissociation and why it happens if you have complex trauma in your past. I won't say any specific resources because I don't know if that is relevant to your dissociation. 

How you deal with it will depend on why it is there and how it effects your life. Not going to say how I deal with mine because I have a very poor skill set and am adapted to it being there every day. 

• Like 5

On 9/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, Hopelessly Broken said:

I would advise that you seek out your own personal research on dissociation for the sake of your sanity. Dissociation is a typical response to traumatic events, especially those that occurred in childhood. It may be worth exploring how long you have noticed it for, and if it is in fact some kind of alert that your brain and nervous system are reacting to something it perceived as a threat. 

I have various types of dissociation myself and at this point no professional considers it a problem, and none have really been able to grasp what I am talking about. For me, I have it because I got stuck in a freeze response during childhood trauma that persisted for my entire childhood. My brain thinks it is a normal skill to use and it got stuck in it. 

I also have it for other reasons that I won't go into here. For me it is not scary and I don't think I am super crazy because of it, but that's just because it has been there for so long. It would be a problem for me if it somehow went away because its basically part of my life. 

If relevant, perhaps some research on complex PTSD would be useful. Most articles and books about it discuss dissociation and why it happens if you have complex trauma in your past. I won't say any specific resources because I don't know if that is relevant to your dissociation. 

How you deal with it will depend on why it is there and how it effects your life. Not going to say how I deal with mine because I have a very poor skill set and am adapted to it being there every day. 

This!

I don't get scared either because it's how my body has coped since forever. I'm in EMDR to process the original traumas and let the parts kind of talk to one another and learn to not dissociate at bad times--like driving.

• Like 1

I started having trouble with dissociation after an ex beat me; we'd been together for 14 years, and it had never happened before, so it was shocking, as well as scary, because I didn't know how far he'd go. Anyway, I had therapy for PTSD (I know it wasn't much trauma, but trauma seems to be really individual), which made my dissociation better, but I still have it. The first few times it happened, I felt like I was going crazy, I couldn't figure out what was happening. Now, when it happens, I know what is going on, and I've found that touching solid objects helps me ground myself.

• Like 1

I've had chronic Depersonalization for 9 years. Yes, dissociation is quite normal, but only to a certain extent. When you can't "come back to reality" and are "stuck in a dream"... that's when you have a problem. When it gets that bad (as in my case) you need medication management and adjunct therapy. As for now try getting some rrt done to deal with your past traumas. 

• Like 1

@DividedMind, I'm curious to know what meds you've found useful for dissociation, as I've long been under the impression that no meds exist to treat the dissociation directly. What're you on that works so well for you, if you don't mind?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, WinterRosie said:

@DividedMind, I'm curious to know what meds you've found useful for dissociation, as I've long been under the impression that no meds exist to treat the dissociation directly. What're you on that works so well for you, if you don't mind?

I don't mind at all. 

Nothing specifically works for dissociating but some meds help prevent or decrease feelings or thoughts that can lead to dissociation. They can also help you feel less dissociated.

The university of London Depersonalization research institute recommends - 

An ssri in combination with klonopin.

They found that adding lamictal (not because its a mood stabilizer, but because of something due to glutamate in the brain... I forget) people have a 65% success rate of decrease in symptoms.

Since inheriting chronic Depersonalization in 2008 I take 

Luvox (an ssri, my psychiatrist chose this because its great for obsessive thoughts which can lead or cause dissociation)

Klonopin

Lamictal

I currently take all 3.

Now, I will say it took me almost a year to titrate up my doses and get everything right. As severe as my symptoms were I had to take my time.

Not sure if I mentioned this but I have a blog (I don't actively use it, I haven't used it in years). But it's like a web site with info on chronic Depersonalization since its such ass rare misunderstood condition.

Take a look at it. It's got info on treatment optioons, books, etc.

MydepersonalizationExperience.wordpress.com

• Like 1

So I was unaware I dissociate. My therapist gave me a really long questionnaire and we were both surprised to see that I scored high for DID

I have been looking back on my life to examine the patterns of dissociating. I have many years that I don't remember. AS far as different personalities...

there are times that I am outgoing and talkative, others that I'm sullen and withdrawn and many times I act out sexually and regret it afterwards.

My kids say that I'm  forgetful and last week I forgot 5 different events that I had previously committed to! My forgetfulness is the hardest for me.

• Like 1