TakeAChillPill

Congentin for restlessness caused by Abilify?

5 posts in this topic

I think I know a thing or two about Congentin even though I have not taken it. It can help those who experience side effects from their antipsychotics.

Sleeping is not my thing right now.  I have been on a low dose of Abilify for almost two years now.  I've been on 7 mg.  I feel the lower dose is activating to me.  

Also, I recently got a cpap and am having a rough time getting accustomed to it.  

I feel like right now would be a great time to try Congentin.  

Does anyone have experience with this drug?  Did it help you?  Was it bad?

I took Cogentin once. I think 1mg. My doctor gave me a short course of them because I was experiencing some intolerable akathisia from loxapine when we overshot the dose. I have to say that I definitely won't take it unless I really can't tolerate the restlessness. It really affected me cognitively. I was really foggy. Was trying to count something and found I couldn't do basic addition until I really though hard about it once or twice. I also had trouble focusing my eyes. I was pretty confused and felt rather stupid. I still have them. I didn't throw them away but I'm definitely reserving them for when I have to increase the loxapine to deal with an episode and just can't tolerate the restlessness. 

I had a similar experience to browri. I had issues with memory recall (more so than usual) and also had trouble piecing together sentences (my thoughts were disorganized). That said, YMMV. There are other meds out there that aren't anticholinergics like Cogentin or Artane, such as propranolol.

No side effects for me 

But I'm not sure it'll help u sleep unless you can't sleep from akathisia or other side effect 

Propranolol is the first line med for akathisia, provided your blood pressure does not drop too low. Doses of propranolol to treat akathisia are around 20-60 mg a day with 3 times a day dosing. There is a once a day pill for propranolol that works well, propranolol er. Propranolol will slow heart rate some to little at these doses.