Iceberg

Xanax XR

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry this is kinda of a duplicate but the second half of my other post seemed more appropriate here and I didn't think of it before. Apologies to meds if this gets moved or combined or whatever. So question is what are your experiences with Xanax XR...dosing, how long does it last, is it strong enough? It's the only common benzo I haven't tried. Right now I'm on 1 mg PRN x3. We also talked about muscle relaxers (which I didn't mention in the other post) like extended release flexaril with PRN Xanax Ir. The Xanax it is definetly doing better than my klonipin, but it only covers the acute symptoms and leaves me anxious in between. Also Xanax 3 times a day I don't wanna get hooked. I don't think my doc will use serax either. Let me know if you have any ideas 

Edited by Iceberg

I am curious too. I just switched from IR to XR because of how long my anxiety has been lasting, and the IR was wearing off... I just didn't want to take more, so I would let it slide and just stay anxious the rest of the day. Pharmacy is supposed to have my script filled this afternoon. Dosing guidelines say to take Xanax XR in the morning, and peak absorption is 9h, although it's relatively steady from 4 to 12 hours, with a half-life of 10.7 to 15.8 hours. I'll try it this weekend and see how it goes.

Xanax XR was like placebo to me. It did absolutely nothing, but that's just me.

38 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Xanax XR was like placebo to me. It did absolutely nothing, but that's just me.

I'm with you on this. I didn't last long on it. 

So I tried it Friday and Sunday, and while it does have some effect, I find it to be more like Klonopin than Xanax IR. I don't see it being very useful in panic attacks, or in sudden bouts of anxiety, more so for a generalized level... which is usually what Klonopin is used for, but with a substantially reduced half-life. It didn't sedate me, or make me hungry, both of which Xanax IR do. I guess if I was dosing IR twice a day, I might try 1-2mg XR in the AM and use IR for breakthrough anxiety if there was any, but everybody is real sensitive about prescribing Xanax these days, so that prolly wouldn't happen.

I'm going to have to give this a longer study, because with the increase in my Rexulti, my anxiety level has tapered off greatly. I only had mild anxiety on those days, and it knocked it right out, with nearly zero side effects, but that's not typical of my anxiety. I was also looking at the side effect profile, which I do find favorable to the IR version. I think this may be another odd use-case scenario drug, that unfortunately tends to get abused.