CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
theforest

Did not expect asthma

I have been berating myself for years about how out of shape j thought I was. I kept getting short of breath. Thought maybe it was some weird manifestation of the BP or the anxiety. 

Turns out I have asthma. All that self-punishment and it's effing asthma. 

Being crazy sucks sometimes.

Well, I'm glad you're getting it treated now. I probably would have been too embarrassed to bring it up, thinking it was just because I am fat.

I'm so glad you got a diagnosis that will help you address your breathing problems! 

Don't bad -- we have so many physical and emotional side effects from both Bipolar Disorder and the meds we take to handle it that it's easy to attribute almost any symptom to our illness. You've done well. You advocated for yourself. Good job! 

• Like 1

I have asthma too! Mine started as a never-ending cough. So they gave me a maintenance inhaler for 2 puffs a day. Then after a year or two I started not being able to exercise well, so they gave me an emergency inhaler and said to use it before I do my workouts. Then it got so bad the inhalers didn't seem to be helping so now I ALSO take Singulair, this pill that helps reduce inflammation in your lungs. Good greif. Sorry to hear you have it too but it is good you know what is wrong now!

• Like 1

Same happened to me. I kept telling my doctor I Could Not Breathe, and even went to the emergency room for it. Not one clinician thought to hand me a damn peak flow meter to check! Between that and my abusive ex-husband aggressively telling me I was just attention-seeking, it took 5 years to be diagnosed. And that's if you don't count the wheezy spells I was having for 10 years before that. Every time I had a cold it went onto my chest and I genuinely thought I might die in my sleep because without my accessory muscles I just wasn't shifting enough air. One time on holiday I was coughing so badly that I was vomiting and delirious, and something cartilage-y around my left collarbone tore and still feels weird now - but when he eventually came to check on me my ex made it clear he couldn't care less, and I felt like such a pathetic loser for having even told anyone. Even when my doctor finally believed me that I couldn't breathe, she just handed me a prescription for a reliever inhaler and couldn't be bothered to test me for asthma or even tell me what symptoms to be worried about. It got worse and worse and worse and nobody cared. One day I was struggling to keep up with my family on a day out and I grudgingly decided to seek medical attention because it had been three nights since I had slept for breathlessness, and I was worried that it might get worse over the bank holiday weekend. That doctor examined me properly and had kittens because I was having a medium asthma attack - not even a mild one! I was too ashamed to tell her that I had had worse symptoms a LOT of times during the previous few months. Now I'm on a preventer and a reliever, and it's finally under control.

I was supposed to go to the asthma clinic last month but all that's going to happen is the nurse will tell me off for being on propranolol, which is hardly my fault. I would absolutely love it if my pdoc changed my medication to something that works properly and doesn't make my asthma worse, but all he does is call me in every 4 months to check that I still haven't killed myself :( There is no tdoc service available, and even if I could get on the waiting list it would just be 6-8 sessions of CBT which has caused me severe harm in the past. All I can do is wait to see whether I magically get better by myself and then one day maybe I can come off some of these medications.

tl;dr: Doctors are useless to the point of negligence when it comes to patients with multiple conditions. SHOUT until they hear you.