CrazyBoards.org

Wife

Husband take 1200 mg lithium carbonate and abilify

My husband takes 1200 mg lithium carbonate, abilify, Xanax, antidepressants, three blood pressure meds, and few others for acid reflux and he drinks alcohol. Over the counter sleep aids too. He was smoking marijuana every 2-3 hours before starting the abilify. I have filed for a divorce and he stopped smoking because I am fight for custody of my son. 

He is manic, bipolar and I think possibly schizophrenic. I have been reading the side effects of these drugs and wonder if anyone else has taken this type if cocktail and what their experience has been. 

The last time I saw him he was shaking and look “wild eyed” and was red faced (flushed). Is it likely that at the level of his meds is he walking around in a “fog” and with this regiment how long until his health is affected? He has been on blood pressure meds for 16 years, a history of 5 years on lortab, followed by a 3 year history of suboxone use and  Seroquel

he has been on Xanax for 10+ years 

alcohol addiction 20 years with varying degrees of use

what is his mental state likely to be with this many drugs?

he insists he does not have a problem 

please help me understand his mind and what is the most likely state he is in

Hello, Wife.

I’m glad you’re reaching out for help, but CrazyBoards is a first-person site. That means that if your husband wants to make an account and talk to us we can do that, but we make it a policy not to try to interpret the mentally interesting, not to speak for or about them. 

We have complied a list of resources I hope may help you:

Good luck to you and your husband. 

If you feel unsafe, please don’t ignore your intuition. Call 911 and have your husband taken to the hospital. Leave your home. Do what you need to do to protect yourself.

Gearhead (admin)

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By PingWire
      I've taken Abilify for almost 10 years. I was originally put on it for anxiety, which was rather unwise. I havn't felt good from doing exercise since being on it. However, It did seem to help with OCD. My OCD used to center around cleanliness, now I don't care much. Now my OCD involves intrusive, repetitive thoughts.
      I am on 10mg Abilify 300mg Luvox, 50 mg Lamictal, 500mg Depakote, and 50mg hydroxyzine as needed.
      5 months ago my Abilify does was increased from 5mg to 10mg. Everything was great for a month or 2, not anymore.
      I've been told that the intrusive, repetitive thoughts are part of OCD and not schizophrenia. However, I'm wondering if I have schizophrenia anyway since the thoughts are related to my daily activities.
      Has anyone heard of intrusive thoughts being linked to schizophrenia? If so, would a different antipsychotic be more effective?
      To complicate things, I am a slow metabolizer. Geodon knocked me out for 18 hours! A prior doctor put me on perphenazine after that because he found an article showing the same problem in someone else, and success with perphenazine.  I found an article that stated that perphenazine is metabolized by three enzymes while Geodon is metabolized by one. Unfortunately I don't have those articles now. The downside to perphenazine is that it made me depressed at high doses. I tried risperdal, but It made me anxious. I'm willing to try anything again as long as I'm not asleep for 18 hours.
      Any ideas?

• By AyYiYikes
      This is something I’m thinking about a lot lately. People without a mental illness don’t understand the costs we have: broken relationships, lost jobs, and poor spending episodes (putting it mildly). Add in all the costs of meds, doctor visits, therapy appointments - I didn’t choose this, but it is what it is.
      Staying on meds, for me, has created some stability after years without any. But now I face homelessness in a couple days unless a miracle occurs. I’m pissed off at myself for HAVING this, although I can’t control that I do.
      I’ve been depressed for quite a while, but still able to get to work. Over a year ago, when first diagnosed, I was off a few months, a total wreck, and am still crawling out from the financial fallout.  Last month the pdoc added a new med. Within a week, I was hearing voices (not something I do) and was terribly depressed and had suicidal ideation. I quit the med and felt better within a week. During that time I took two days off work and hibernated, feeling hopeless and majorly depressed the first day. The next day I went to the pdoc and told her the effects of the new med I’d stopped. I went because my work demands a dr note to return to work. Telling her I felt like crap but have to work because I’m alone and have no back-up for money, I needed the note. She refused and said I’d get no note until I went through IOP.  I went and after week 3 I told a dr there I’m ok and can’t continue because I must work. Got the note, no problem. They said they wanted me to stay off at least 2 more weeks, maybe more, but gave me the release. *sigh*
      Been back at work a couple wks and doing pretty well. The first of the month came and I had no way to pay my rent. A small disability pymt was expected but hadn’t arrived (not enough for rent anyway). The way our pay works, and since I was gone 3 wks, no pay for me until the end of the month.
      Yesterday I came home to a 3 day notice on my door. The property management is a big corporation and not willing to even give a few days and see from my dr release I’ve been out, doctor’s orders. I’ve asked a couple of people but they can’t help. I’m sad that I’ve failed. Loathing myself and my illness at all right now, I’m just hit in the face how much having this sucks. 
      The costs go way beyond buying something one doesn’t need. Even when doing things the way they’re supposed to be done, it still can bite ya in the butt. Tired. Exhausted. Fed up.
      Rant over.

• By Dewey
      I didn't realize this until I was reading another post, but here it is again, the first day of Fall in the US in two days.  Already leaves are turning colors, falling, and the light outside is changing. Usually every change in season, I have one or two manic episodes. Last night had what I believe was my first manic episode in a long time.  But last evening was scarier, all the typical symptoms of mania along with visual disturbances and sensations I had never experienced before.  Left a vmail message on my psych docs line this morning thinking this is the smart thing to do, it usually takes alot for me to bother him in between sessions, but he does encourage this, fortunately. I left him the data and left it up to him if he feels he needs to call me back next week.  I see him in two weeks.
      So, I remember my psych doc telling me once in a mood change, one can take a little extra medicine to help.  I only take Seroquel as needed, so took 1/2 of a 25 mg of Seroquel and nothing happened.  Thirty minutes took the next 1/2 of the 25 mg and finally sleep arrived.  I slept 14 hours straight and when I woke up, I woke up to a totally different person.  That scary weird out of control mood was no longer there (thought I was going to have to call 911 for help), the cycling was almost gone and slowly drifted away throughout the day. 
      I am 67 and finding that my brain is functioning differently lately.  It's beginning to scare me, of course the aging process is very scary.  I have addressed this with my psych doc many times, even my neurologist and they do not seem concerned. I had an MRI and all was normal there for someone my age. These are all new symptoms to me, or maybe the same but more dramatic, I think. 
      I have had more than my share of significant triggers last 9 months.  I tried therapy last two weeks and actually ran out of the therapists room last week due to a panic attack. I warned her not to push. I even had it all written out for her to read, but oh no, she wanted me to verbalize it and then she swung into asking me about bodily feelings, that was when I ran out of her room in a blind panic.  She wanted me to reveal too much stuff too fast and I kept warning her. Will not go back to her.  So, now I have to get up the courage to seek out someone else.  My psych doc will not refer me to anyone, as is his way, which makes it harder on me.  
      Okay, will close for now. 
    • By Pixelish
      Second post on this forum (woohoo!), but, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for smoothing out a relationship between two bipolar people. My fiance and I have been together for nearly three years now, engaged for almost two of those years, we're both under the age of 25 (but over 18), we live together, and we're both bipolar. She has Type I and I'm just recently diagnosed Type II. Both our diagnosis(es?) have been in the past year, and we've both been trying medicines (her first, then me as my dx came months after); she is presently unmedicated. We both see the same psychologist but different prescribing doctors/GPs. We do not presently do any sort of couples therapy, our therapy sessions are separate and confidential. Our relationship in all it's years has always had very rough spots that we stick out because we genuinely love each other and care for one another, and want to see each other grow/be apart of each other's lives. However, our MIs (bipolar, ptsd, possible schizo-spect disorder on our end) have nearly ripped us apart for good many times. We took an almost month long break after our most recent big falling out, out of desperation to try and amend ourselves and our relationship. Being apart for a bit seemed to help, but we seem to have fallen right back into the "cycle" of our relationship. The extreme highs and lows that are no doubt also attributed to our bipolar. Does any have any words of wisdom or advice to think about/keep in mind when trying to keep the relationship afloat? We genuinely do love and care for one another and want to make what we have at our best work. It just seems to get more and more difficult. Hopefully meds will help even us out, we know we need to work on ourselves to help the relationship.

Anything is much appreciated!
      -P
    • By themechanist
      Hi guys, 
      ive been on inVega sustenna for three months and my side effects are terrible on this drug. Blanking out, bad memory, lack of creativity, bad focus, slow mind and worse of all, anhedonia. Both sexual and emotional alike. It’s been three months and these things still have not lifted. I know it’s not my illness because my schizophrenia gives me heightened emotions and gets me high, and these side effects all started for the first time since I took the drug. 
      Maintena is coming out in my country this December and I was thinking of asking my pdoc to switch to it. I heard that abilify can cause blurred vision and if you’re unlucky td, I’m scared of this. I’ve taken abilify tablet form before for around a week to a month or so at five milligrams, and didn’t get blurred vision or td, would anything change with the injection form? And also what is your experience on this drugs injection form? 

Regards.