CrazyBoards.org

Cyclingsarah

Which makes you feel more flat? AP’s or lithium

Ceremony I have the same combo and your right it's so helpful...I feel like a human...just a tired human 

Rispedal hands down. I only take it for acute episodes for that reason.

Geodon is the worst med I’ve even taken. It knocked me out of the human race for a couple of years. Lithium also flattened me out intolerably. But Lamictal doesn’t do it, and neither does Seroquel, as long as the doses are correct. So in my opinion you can’t rule out a whole class of medication. You need to make sure you’re on the right one. 

• Like 2

So different for everyone. Lithium keeps me within reason calm. Not flat, although not bouncing off the walls (which is my preferred mood). 

Loved risperdal, it kept me from insanity. Damn prolactin levels! 

Seroquel rocks. 

• Like 1

Im glad to hear about your successes with Lithium.

I have tried a lot of meds already:

lamotrigine (still taking, 75 mg)

gabapentin (still taking, 900 mg)

Trileptal (still titrating, up to 300 mg)

Zoloft (still taking, 25 mg)

remeron (still taking, 37.5 mg)

lyrica

abilify

thinking next would be either lithium or depakote. I’m done with AP’s. 

But Abiilfy is the only AAP you've tried, unless you've left something off your list. Just because you have trouble with one med from a class doesn't mean that you will have trouble with all of them. Abilify and Geodon made me manic, but when I took Latuda, I felt the best I had in over a decade. I couldn't afford to stay on it, but if I could, I'd start it again.

Also, I take Risperdal to stomp on mania for the duration of the mania plus one month.

On 31/10/2017 at 7:27 PM, crtclms said:

But Abiilfy is the only AAP you've tried, unless you've left something off your list. Just because you have trouble with one med from a class doesn't mean that you will have trouble with all of them. Abilify and Geodon made me manic, but when I took Latuda, I felt the best I had in over a decade. I couldn't afford to stay on it, but if I could, I'd start it again.

Also, I take Risperdal to stomp on mania for the duration of the mania plus one month.

I’m done with AAP’s because i started twitching around my mouth and my tounge pushed towards my teeth on 1.25 mg abilify. I’m too scared of TD. Off course - you couldn’t know that. Every drug working on dopamine gives me horrible side effects such as skin numbness, uncontrolled movement, etc. Even lamotrigine. 

Of course it's up to you, but that is exactly the kind of side effect that you might have with one AAP, but not another. 

Some AD's made me flat.........

My pdoc actually just told me when i asked if lithium and seroquel were gonna make me flat, he said no, no pill takes away happiness, and that an AD is more likely to flat line u than a mood stabilizer, take it for what its worth

• Like 1

I think that's not entirely impossible but I feel like it is  impossible to generalize 

I'm curious why you're on such low doses of lamotrigine and Zoloft since you're below standard therapeutic levels for both of them. If you haven't been on higher doses of these, I would try raising them, since, at such low doses, you are likely to be getting more side effects than benefits. If you have been higher and lowered them because of negative side effects, I would consider going off them completely before adding more meds so you're not keeping around ineffective meds that may still be adding side effects. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 0:00 AM, crtclms said:

Of course it's up to you, but that is exactly the kind of side effect that you might have with one AAP, but not another. 

Thank you. I will think about it if everything else fails

On 5/11/2017 at 0:36 AM, thunder said:

I'm curious why you're on such low doses of lamotrigine and Zoloft since you're below standard therapeutic levels for both of them. If you haven't been on higher doses of these, I would try raising them, since, at such low doses, you are likely to be getting more side effects than benefits. If you have been higher and lowered them because of negative side effects, I would consider going off them completely before adding more meds so you're not keeping around ineffective meds that may still be adding side effects. 

Well zoloft makes me hypomanic, which is why the dose is low. The plan is to increase it when i’ve been stabilized - If, of course, im still depressed.

Doses above 75 mg of lamotrigine made me very, very depressed and made my anxiety a lot worse. Also I got rapid eye blinking, numbness in my face and increased swallowing. 

But you are absolutely right about staying on ineffective meds. Not a good idea. 

Thank you!