CrazyBoards.org

I'm a female and I've on a very small dose of Lexapro. I've only been on it 4 days and already it's virtually impossible to orgasm and if I do it's a disappointment as it's such a dull orgasm. The doctor thinks I should stay on it for a month to see if there are improvements. Has anybody tried this and have the sexual problems decreased once your body gets used to the Lexapro? The doctor has said it is my decision whether I continue with it.

Edited by Unburdened
medication name

I take citalopram which has the same psycho-active molecule as Lexapro (es-citalopram). Citalopram killed my libido dead. Also, yes, it was difficult to reach orgasm and yes orgasms are dulled. In my experience, citalopram - and by extension Lexapro - are the worst SSRIs for sexual side effects, although of course, I realize that we are all different in our reaction to meds.

Did it go away? It maybe got less bothersome but only after quite some time on the med. My libido never did fully recover, but the other SSEs did seem to improve. I found that adding Remeron helped with the delayed orgasm though it did not help my libido. The only thing that has helped my libido is Abilify and that is only because it helps me in general with anhedonia.

I wish I had better news. It's a tough choice when we have to choose between our mental health and giving up part of what makes us human or suffering mentally just to hold onto it.

By the way, I am male and it doesn't matter. The effects are the same in both men and women.

Celexa and Lexapro were both libido and orgasm killers, and no, for me the SSEs never went away. We always tell people to be patient and give a med at least a month, but that was my experience. I've had better luck with Cymbalta (duloxetine).

Actually, Lexapro was recommended for me early on for its relative lack of problem with sexual side effects. Unfortunately, for me it lacked antidepressant effects. It didn't exactly va va my voom, either. Wellbutrin is another option some people try if mainline SSRIs cause sexual problems. Wellbutrin makes me wiggy, but some people think it's great.

Hmm....I don't think I had huge problems with Lexapro concerning orgasms. It was more difficult on doses like 15 and 20 mg.
When I was on 5 mg (I took this dose for about 2 years) I didn't have trouble reaching an orgasm at all. Libido was another matter, but this was also due to being in a longterm relationship.
Zoloft did kill my libido though.

• Like 1

Escitalopram and citalopram both decreased my libido and gave me erectile dysfunction. Orgasms were kind of boring too and for that reason I sought out sex a lot less thus a compounding problem. Fluoxetine on the other hand didn't cause erectile dysfunction but killed my libido far worse than escitalopram. So far the only serotonergic antidepressants I've found that didn't have sexual side effects were Viibryd and Trintellix (which I'm on now and love). I think with Trintellix I seek out sex less perhaps. But for example, even though I don't initiate sexual intimacy that often, when my partner initiates, I don't have much of a problem "getting into it" and I don't have erectile dysfunction. Definitely a win.

2 hours ago, browri said:

Escitalopram and citalopram both decreased my libido and gave me erectile dysfunction. Orgasms were kind of boring too and for that reason I sought out sex a lot less thus a compounding problem. Fluoxetine on the other hand didn't cause erectile dysfunction but killed my libido far worse than escitalopram. So far the only serotonergic antidepressants I've found that didn't have sexual side effects were Viibryd and Trintellix (which I'm on now and love). I think with Trintellix I seek out sex less perhaps. But for example, even though I don't initiate sexual intimacy that often, when my partner initiates, I don't have much of a problem "getting into it" and I don't have erectile dysfunction. Definitely a win.

Thanks Browri. I've been on Trintellix/Brintellix and it was terrible for me sexually. It made my vagina completely numb. I will discuss Viibryd with my Dr although I have no faith in SSRIs. Interestingly I just read that it only causes sexual problems in males. Not sure if that's true. 

47 minutes ago, Unburdened said:

Thanks Browri. I've been on Trintellix/Brintellix and it was terrible for me sexually. It made my vagina completely numb. I will discuss Viibryd with my Dr although I have no faith in SSRIs. Interestingly I just read that it only causes sexual problems in males. Not sure if that's true. 

That would be true. At least in the numbers from the clinical trials. Sexual dysfunction was very low for the Trintellix treated groups but still performed far better than other antidepressants and those who did experience sexual dysfunction on Trintellix were almost if not all men.