CrazyBoards.org

philosophin

DBT skill of the day!

Used opposite action to load my dishwasher even though I really didn't want to.

Also managed to engage in balanced eating from PLEASE today.

Trying for radical acceptance but not quite getting there.

In the New Year, I’m starting with the foundation of DBT—mindfulness.  My goal is to practice at least 3 minutes of meditation every day this year, which I think is entirely realistic.  Of course, I’d like to do longer, but I’m not going to hold myself to it.

• Like 1

Nice :) 3 minutes sounds like a really doable goal.

Lots of anxiety provoking transitions for me right now - working ACCEPTS today.

FAST—recognizing that it would not be good for me mental health wise to visit a friend in the hospital today given past hospital trauma (it helped that I had visited yesterday)

mindfulness of current emotions - this is a really hard one for me, but I’m trying

accumulate positive experiences - football time!

On 1/2/2018 at 10:04 PM, philosophin said:

In the New Year, I’m starting with the foundation of DBT—mindfulness.  My goal is to practice at least 3 minutes of meditation every day this year, which I think is entirely realistic.  Of course, I’d like to do longer, but I’m not going to hold myself to it.

I would like to try this as well. Tough part is dedicating a certain time of day - mornings are bad for me...I have no time during the daytime and at night when I'm home, I try to meditate and I just get really sleepy and zone out. I've learned in meditation class that meditation is not supposed to be a "relaxation" exercise it is like a disciplined way to train your mind and become aware of thought patterns before they start to control your emotions.

Lately, I've been working on Appreciating the Moment and Effective (getting things done, doing what I need to do)

Opposite action: With the rain/cold/dark skies, i just want to stay in bed but i really can't. I went to work on time, I went to the gym, did laundry....yet I still feel MEH. So how long do you need to do these skills before something clicks and you start to feel noticeably better? I know the skills help you from becoming worse - but when do you see a positive impact?

I just signed up for an online class because I need to start actively looking for ways to increase personal Mastery and accomplishment.

*** I really want to be able to Accumulate Positive Experiences (every other day at least) AND attain Radical Acceptance about some current difficult situations that I cannot fully control. ***

I just signed up for an online course also!  What are you taking?  I'm just doing an intro psych because I figure it won't be too taxing on my brain if I am struggling during the course of it.  I hadn't thought of it as a building mastery situation, but it seems like it could be.  It's also a positive experiences one for me...separate and apart from anything else I might do.

I don't know when things start to feel better after forcing your way through them.  I wish I knew. 

• Like 1

I just used TIP - the temperature one with an ice pack to my forehead and bridge of my nose - for the first time in a while.  I was in trauma land and needed to be snapped out of it and my brain needed to chill out.

• Like 1

Check the facts- to go to an appointment yesterday because I was feeling really worthless & like they didn't want me there.

• Like 1

Radical acceptance, my physio told me today that I need to take a break from the gym for a while, I'm upset, but I know it's for the best and I need to let my body heal

• Like 1

@dancesintherain i'm taking a writing course. It's nearly free, so why not? There are so many short/inexpensive online courses. I already have a degree (many moons ago) but I've been meaning to start up a variety of classes for awhile now, including some personal development stuff. I never follow through, because I'm constantly obsessing about the concrete outcome "finish line" before I commit to something (which we cannot always predict!!) I am hoping this will be a positive experience that will build momentum.

Question to all here: Have you found any ways that you are able to give yourself praise? I am trying to build more self-validation (versus seeking validation from other people, comparing myself). What are things that make you feel successful? How do you note/celebrate your achievements? I always gloss over things and in general, feel like I'm never good enough.

Nice!

i struggle with self-validation...years of teasing and bullying and abuse win out a lot of the time.  I’m trying to buy into the whole positive affirmation approach, but it’s hit or miss whether I actually do it.

ill follow because hopefully someone else will have an actual answer.

Opposite action. I really didn't want to go to the doctor, but I went anyway.

Radical acceptance (which usually I hate).  This shit is just going to get time to get better.  All I can do is keep trying and doing what I can.

Also, the website that CB shows after I enter my login information is not likely to ever revert back to only being the intro page.

Yes @dancesintherain Those positive self-affirmations are useless. They have never worked for me...CBT is not helpful for me either.

Really struggling with self-acceptance/radical acceptance. Any advice anyone here has received from therapists? My tdoc says I should "talk to myself and give myself encouragement, praise, acknowledgement and patience, like you would treat a child" ..but I'm not a mother so this is a bit weird for me, but I do know that I would never tell my child (or anyone for that matter) the sorts of things that i tell myself.

I’ve written a statement on my mirror so that I see it each time I’m in the bathroom. If you use dry erase markers it washes off.  But that’s about all I’ve got.  It might not hurt to make a separate thread because it extends beyond DBT I think.

I’m not good at knowing the exact name for the skill but like problem solving/understanding the emotions and cause, rather than not knowing why I felt awful BPD emotional mess & it snowballing more easily.