CrazyBoards.org

unknown diagnosis

New possible ADHD diagnosis. Any tips on how to deal with it before i get meds?

Basically this is my final year in highschool. Every grade counts but I just cant concentrate on anything at all. Well, that's not true, I can concentrate on the subjects I love, but everything else, I lose all focus and I get lost in the teachers words and my mind starts wandering and then at the end of the day, I forget everything the teacher taught us. This doesn't only affect school however, if someone is telling me directions I get completely lost in their words. Everything else draws my attention and the noises, oh god the noises, every noise just sucks me in and distracts me. Basically I thought my career was over before it even started, but then I got some news after talking to my psychologist (he cant prescribe me meds in Canada). He believes I have ADHD, and a very classic presentation at that. But im not going to meet with my pdoc until next year, she is extremely busy. Then there's my family doc. Not too sure if he is willing to prescribe me anything to help, but I did get my psychologist to send him my full psychiatric evaluation since I haven't seen him in two years. I also got him to send the report of the latest meeting and why he thinks I have ADHD. So I'm hoping he will give me a prescription to help me. I've had to deal with issues like these my whole life but I never reported them because I thought it was just really, really dumb. But I guess that might not be true. Anyways to get to my point, what can I do in the meantime while I don't have any meds? I'm losing all motivation and my grades are suffering a lot. What can I do?

On 11/16/2017 at 6:01 PM, unknown diagnosis said:

I've had to deal with issues like these my whole life but I never reported them because I thought it was just really, really dumb. But I guess that might not be true. Anyways to get to my point, what can I do in the meantime while I don't have any meds? I'm losing all motivation and my grades are suffering a lot. What can I do?

Now is the time to start working on building good habits and lifestyle changes. You WILL need to do that. There are lots of excellent resources available on the internet. Of course we ADD types tend to wander .. right ?..and the internet is a very easy place to wander in ..  so it may take you a while to find some things that will work for *you*. Two keys in my opinion are:

• Finding things that work for you. What worked for someone else may not work for you. Case in point .. people always told me to write down important things I was supposed to do, follow up on, appointments, etc,  but I never remembered to look at what I wrote down .. either that or I lost it. The smart phone calendar and alerts became my friend. Be creative and take ownership of your situation.
  • Don't expect the meds - if you get them - to be a silver bullet. They're one part of a strategy. They work hand in hand with the  lifestyle changes and new "defensive" habits. (ADD folks who consistently lose things, can never find their car keys, put something in the oven and forget it's there until they smell something burning, etc will understand the term defensive :-). I

You may stand a better chance getting meds if you take the time to start working on lifestyle changes *before* you see the doc. It's been my experience .. not suggesting every doc is like this .. but docs seem a lot more willing to help people who have shown an inclination to help themselves. Lastly for now .. learn to recognize/appreciate/cultivate/leverage  the individual strengths you may have by being the owner of an ADD mind. All the baggage ain't (ain't?) negative!

I wish you well!

Edited by MarvinGardens
Self inflicted grammar
  • Like 1

I love that about "putting something in the oven" .. you know... like car keys. I often laugh when I hear the "Early warning signs for Alzheimers" because  have have them my entire life. No disrespect to anyone who has that, I imagine it's terrifying when it suddenly starts happening, I am laughing at myself and laughing at.. gee wiz how will anyone ever notice if I get dementia.

Cultivate habits. If you are like me you have an incredibly unreliable autopilot, it takes over at the worst possible time and then refuses to work when you need it, or just doesn't do what it's been trained to do (car keys in the fridge), but habits can still help. Just don't be hard on yourself when the autopilot malfunctions.

I like to set my watch to beep every hour because I have no sense of the passage of time. And try not to hoard, because if you are like me you'll find it hard to come back to things or "get round to doing things eventually".

And don't expect anyone in your life to believe ADHD exists :(