CrazyBoards.org

I know it's been a go-to for awhile for cold and flu symptoms. Medicines have seemed to replace it, but they just don't work for my kids or me. Now, recently our doctor said that cough syrup is almost useless in a lot of people and honey is much more effective. That made me think of all the times I've read about elderberry stuff. 

I see that you can buy syrups, lozenges, etc. I thought about giving it a shot, but it's so expensive. Anyone ever try it? Is it snake oil like so many other homeopathic remedies or is there a reason it's been a treatment for awhile? If cold medicines did a durn thing for us, I probably wouldn't bother. Also, Benadryl made my youngest a rage monster, and dextro made him seem very intoxicated. 

I don't know anything about elderberry in particular, but I'm getting to the point where my mom is suggesting I use Great Grandma's tried and true cough medicine to put myself out for the night: hot water, honey, lemon, and blackberry brandy.

I imagine the elderberry things probably work because they have honey in them? Mr W has some echinacea tea that also has elderberry in the tea. I'm not sure how much is actually helpful of the herbs themselves vs the fact that you're drinking a hot beverage.

A family doctor and nurse practitioner both independently endorsed neti pot followed by Flonase and Sudafed for head congestion. I know that doesn't help much with chest stuff though.

Although it's not symptom-specific, my dad swears by oil of oregano. He uses a few drops when he starts to feel a cold coming on, he says it shortens the illness. FWIW.

• Thanks 1

I know this is late but it's worked very well for me and everyone I know who's used it. I work in pharmacy and we've been using it for years. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, Persona_Is_Life said:

I know this is late but it's worked very well for me and everyone I know who's used it. I work in pharmacy and we've been using it for years. 

Thanks. I've gotten blackcurrant juice which doesn't help the longevity of the cold, but it does ease the sore throat when drunk warm.

Also late, but I just joined.  :)  I saw that you are in Indiana and there is elderberry down there.  I harvest my own on my property and drink a glass of cordial a day.  However, I harvest the flowers because....  There are two types of berries - the red and the purple.  The purple ones are the ones they use for the syrup, red are a no-no (and my plants are red).  BUT, the flowers of either kind can be used for elderflower cordial or syrup.  Cordial is super easy to make and I just can it directly after I've boiled it so I don't have to go through the annoying process of water bathing.  I use honey instead of sugar so that would add to the efficacy of it as a remedy for you.  The problem for you is, the flowers are in bloom for about 4 weeks - in Spring.  However, the berries are out right now (at least up here in Western Canada they are). I'm sure if you searched for places to wild harvest the berries you would be able to find something fairly close to you, or I think I noticed a farm in Indiana so there may be places you can go to buy/pick berries.  Hope that helps!

That's a thought, @TheBeetle'sCellar. I'll keep that in mind for the cold/flu season.