CrazyBoards.org

Essentially over the last couple of months I've been really questioning whether or not I actually have BPD. It honestly doesn't seem to fit me anymore and I wonder whether the symptoms I've experienced are better explained by PTSD. Trouble is, I didn't really discuss the trauma following the abusive relationship during my diagnosis, other than mentioning it in passing (which to a psych would probably just sound like general 'relationship difficulties' rather than something to be looked at more in depth). I did (and sometimes still do) experience massive mood swings, but since getting into better therapy and whatnot all the symptoms I attributed to BPD are just not that BPD?

Looking at the diagnostic criteria, I fit about 4-5 of them? I certainly have been suicidal/SH in the past, but am currently doing really well and have been for a while. I've never really had any fear of abandonment, and any 'instability' has been because the other person was an abusive stalker. Mood swings, stress, paranoia, intense emotions, and a certain level of impulsiveness are still problems, but the impulsiveness and even fits of anger could be just as much the LD side of things as it could the PD stuff. As for the intense emotions, maybe that's just who I am? And I'm kind of ok with it? I don't think it's a bad thing to be an emotional person. I do think there's a lot I need to work on with regard to self esteem/being taken advantage of, but that again has improved a lot, and I don't think that alone is enough to justify a BPD DX.

As for the stress and paranoia, I've always sort of been stressed and paranoid. The paranoia isn't that bad relatively, but I don't think you can have a small army of anxiety disorders and not feel stressed out sometimes ;)

TL;DR- has anyone else questioned their BPD, or any PD diagnosis over a period of time? FWIW, the OCPD still fits me to a T sadly, so that's still an ongoing issue. 

BPD symtoms can seemingly dissapate when one partakes in therapy but they can come back.

Edit: I am a sufferer but also not a doctor yet, as well, never self diagnose-there are toxic communities such as tumblr that feed on that. You only need to have 5 symptoms for a bpd dx.

Edited by xanathos
Info

I was diagnosed with BPD for many years. Found it useful initially when I was more dysregulated and had more behaviours. Then after a while it made the most sense to just think of myself as someone with complex ptsd. So I just go with that. 

Both make sense. I did fit 5 symptoms when I was assessed. I think if some big dramatic change happened, I'd probably lapse into symptoms that have mostly gone now. I need to bring this up with my tdoc tomorrow, I keep meaning to but forgetting (there's a lot to talk about). I think there is something in saying 'this diagnosis was useful at the time, but not for who I am right now' though.