CrazyBoards.org

Hey everyone. Hope all is well. Anyone have any insight on maladaptive daydreams? Ive had both since I was basically born. Traumatic childhood right out the womb gave me Trauma and OCD and as a way to escape I would daydream. I’m 27 now. Been struggling this week badly which has scared me to a point that I’ve never felt before so I’m looking into therapy. I’m scared that no doctor will understand or help me because I can’t even make sense of what I’m going through. I’ve never really tried to change for good, because I’m afraid of what my life will be like if I change. I’m afraid of the how to deal with the silence, know what I mean? If I don’t have ruminations or disturbing thoughts/nothing to reassure then..what do I have? I don’t know myself at all without it and I’m scared but I also can’t keep living like this either. 

@bree902, I think seeing a therapist would be a great place for you, to start working on ways to cope......

Do you have a pdoc (psychiatrist)? .......Are you on any medication(s)?

By the way, welcome to Crazyboards...:)

• Thanks 1

I am looking into seeing one tomorrow. I’m a waxing technician and one of my clients is a doctor who I really love and asked if she could refer me to a therapist. I’m just scared my problems are too complex for anyone to help me. I am not currently on meds. I was taking 5mg of generic lexapro but stopped taking it.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:27 AM, bree902 said:

I am looking into seeing one tomorrow. I’m a waxing technician and one of my clients is a doctor who I really love and asked if she could refer me to a therapist. I’m just scared my problems are too complex for anyone to help me. I am not currently on meds. I was taking 5mg of generic lexapro but stopped taking it.

I hope you decide to see a therapist....A good therapist can really help......

Why did you stop taking the Lexapro?

Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Ud be surprised how many combos there are...I'm sure it's not too complex for every doctor, don't give up hope like that, there are a million meds. Get to that therapist, she might be able to give some hope 

Hey there. Looks like you may not be checking these responses out anymore, but if you do, my thoughts. Part of your identity is (currently) based on your being a ruminating machine. Modifying thinking, I'll bet, for someone like yourself and myself to a degree is similar to quitting smoking..maybe. I understand maladaptive pathology as I've considered what it would be like to not care about looking good - I have moderate BDD (and OCD). Over time, I've become more comfortable in my own skin, and while looking in the mirror always takes more energy than it should, I more often accept and like the way I look than I used to.

There  can be a strange dichotomy when it comes to maladaptive values, compulsions, thinking, etc. The idea of their absence can cause an identity crisis or some other dilemma despite the fact the maladaptiveness is toxic and ruining your life.

Edited by aur462