CrazyBoards.org

sugarsugar

Brain MRI: not sure about it

I’ve had a long history of migraines but they’re mainly controlled by preventive meds. Recently I’ve had headaches for weeks, so they want me to have s brain MRI. I’m afraid of those scanners. Has anyone had an MRI?  How did that go, and did it seem worthwhile?  I’m not sure I’ll follow through on this, think I may wait. Did an MRI turn up any useful information for anyone?  

MRI's are really no big deal. I've had a couple of brain MRI's. The first time it is a bit weird, because you lay perfectly still and hear all of these bizarre beeping, clicking and blooping sounds and crashing noises. It lasts maybe 20 minutes, but it feels much longer when you are in the tunnel. They will ask you if you are claustrophobic beforehand usually, and you can take a Xanax of something if you're very anxious. They do give you headphones that block out the noise.

I would do it if I were having migraines or new/frequent headaches...a couple friends of mine were both diagnosed with a small benign pituitary tumor that was causing headaches and vision issues - they are now both on meds to shrink the tumor and are both fine. Headaches went away.

Mine were clear, but I've had two.

Is there an open MRI facility by you and would your doctor be okay with it?  You sit in a chair-like thing and they give you various supports so that you don't move, but you don't have to go into the tunnel/tube.  I found that easier to handle.

I had a brain mri w/and w/o contrast to rule out stuff. Turns out my brain looks pretty normal and we were able to rule out stuff as expected. They had only a few music choices to listen to. I did not open my eyes during the MRI, which I think helped me not to panic because I just pretended I was in an open area like my bed. I may have also taken an extra valium beforehand. Plus, I used breathing techniques, etc. to keep calm. Keep in mind, I have panic disorder somewhat in remission and hate feelings of being trapped. Even so, it wasn't too bad.

I have had multiple brain MRIs, and multiple bone and tissue MRIs. I've had the contrast dye on occasion. The machine is loud, but it's kind of rhythmic, and I've fallen asleep one or two times. It's not anything spooky, just magnets. 

Sugarsugar, I’ve had MRIs twice, not for migraines, but for my neck and shoulders, so same basic area. I love MRIs. I love the sound of the machine; I find it warm and peaceful inside. Just try to stay relaxed and remember to take off all your jewelry.