Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

deeschmee

Inner Voice, or Something else?

Recommended Posts

My DID diagnosis was quite recent but looking back I can see signs for a while now.

One thing that I've really begun to notice and analyze is this voice. It's my own voice but more assertive and it helps me to see things from a more healthy perspective. I sometimes talk out loud with this voice, back and forth. Only in my car. 

It starts like this; I begin to have a thought, sometimes negative. The voice immediately and unexpectedly responds with a counter suggestion to my thought. Sometimes I fight it but the voice usually makes such clear sense that I agree. It's always positive information.

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I have no ability to tell the difference between thoughts, and others here. For a long time we were under the impression that when people said "I'm thinking" what they meant was "I'm going to have an internal dialogue with ourselves and we'll come up with the answer." I'm still mystified at how people think without others to bounce ideas off of.

Whether or not you see your wise voice as your guide, or as something else, is sort of up to you. And also up to you all. If you ask around inside they might just have a name, or a backstory. They might exist to keep you safe.

Or they might tell you that they're a part of you. And that's okay, too. 

We're all different :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not diagnosed with a dissociative disorder  (I have  depression ) but I also have a "voice of reason" and I am always happy when it kicks in to combat the negative voice that I also have (which pretty much ruled my life up until recently ).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I have voices that are related to other parts, there's usually also a sense of something inside, like a presence, or an image, or something.  Like a strong sense of "not me" like the words come out of the blue sort of.  But I don't know what it would be like to have adult voices.  I only have child ones.  You could try asking inside and seeing what you find out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is very positive and assertive - something that I am not. You are not alone. Thank you for sharing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, WinterRosie said:

Personally, I have no ability to tell the difference between thoughts, and others here. For a long time we were under the impression that when people said "I'm thinking" what they meant was "I'm going to have an internal dialogue with ourselves and we'll come up with the answer." I'm still mystified at how people think without others to bounce ideas off of.

Whether or not you see your wise voice as your guide, or as something else, is sort of up to you. And also up to you all. If you ask around inside they might just have a name, or a backstory. They might exist to keep you safe.

Or they might tell you that they're a part of you. And that's okay, too. 

We're all different :)

I liked your suggestion so I asked. I was told that This is the me I was supposed to be! Before all the crap happened..

On 1/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, amskray said:

I'm not diagnosed with a dissociative disorder  (I have  depression ) but I also have a "voice of reason" and I am always happy when it kicks in to combat the negative voice that I also have (which pretty much ruled my life up until recently ).

A voice of reason is a very good thing..

I have never in my life had one. Until now😊

On 1/1/2018 at 11:53 AM, tryp said:

When I have voices that are related to other parts, there's usually also a sense of something inside, like a presence, or an image, or something.  Like a strong sense of "not me" like the words come out of the blue sort of.  But I don't know what it would be like to have adult voices.  I only have child ones.  You could try asking inside and seeing what you find out.

I need to hear other people's experience because I'm so new to this diagnosis. It's very helpful. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hopelessromantic said:

Mine is very positive and assertive - something that I am not. You are not alone. Thank you for sharing. 

You are welcome. I'm learning as I go. 

I am neither positive or assertive either 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×