CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

I had a bout where I drank everyday for a month. Super stupid I know. Now that I have been clean for over a month, I still find that I crave the occasional drink. How long did it take for others to stop craving alcohol? I started drinking last year, so am relatively "new" but can still put away 4 drinks a night without getting drunk. Any anecdotes would be helpful.

Thanks,

Poem

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Candy6544
      So I just started Latuda and I am an avid user of alcohol and marijuana (its legal in my state)
      I currently take geodon, lamictal, and lithium but I just added latuda
      everything seemed like it was actually working great with Latuda but after I used "weed" and alcohol my brain is in bad shape and slowly getting better 
      It really left my mind foggy and inattentative in the morning because of  combining the marijuana and alcohol with it.
      at first it was going great but mixing those things with it really left my mind not all there  
      moral of the story if you take other bipolar/schizophrenia meds alongside Latuda DO NOT do any marijuana as well it'll ruin your brain over time trust me. Other antipsychotics can cause this effect too
      i hope this helps those who are struggling with substance abuse alongside any of these meds because they can help you greatly but marijuana will fry with your brain with them overtime mixing them
    • By Blahblah
      I keep saying that I want to take a break from drinking. I don't drink everyday, but on the weekends, I have about 3-5 drinks (beer/wine usually). I feel like it's not even affecting me like it used to...no buzz, just feel tired and more apathetic the next day...then I overcompensate by drinking 4 coffees and maybe taking extra Ritalin. Not good.
      Anyhow, I'm curious to hear others experiences and tips about sobriety (either longterm or taking 1-2 month breaks). How do you succeed or reward yourself?? I am trying to meet new people, which is a drag, and all of the meetups are at concerts, bars, party events where a lot of drinking happens, it's summer and I go out and see everyone drinking nice cold beer. If I avoid these meetups, I am even more depressed and isolated. There are no other activities that I enjoy really (like sports, films, etc) I get so incredibly bored trying to be sober at these things and then most people assume that you have a drinking problem (reason for avoiding alcohol)
    • By shimmeree
      This was about a month and a half ago.  Drunkenly fell face first into a glass door.  Major forehead contusion that leaked into both eye sockets leading to double black eyes.  I told both my tdoc and pdoc that I'd tripped on the doormat.  That was true, but I didn't mention the booze involved.  I didn't lose consciousness, but my left eyesight was blurry for a week.  Mentioning that to my pdoc, he said I was probably concussed.  
      You'd think that was a wake up call, but no.  Even landing my car upside down and being arrested for DUI 10 years ago didn't stop me.  
      I lost my stepdad in October.  He was 30 years sober, and very active in AA.  
      I feel like my alcoholism is such a disservice to him.  My missing him makes me want to drink.  How fucked up is that?
      anyway...

• By Fluent In Silence
      I'm a better person when I'm drunk. I know this isn't a good way to think but it's probably true. The reason is that I can't stand myself when I'm sober, and in order to be able to offer anything to another person you need to believe that you have something to offer. One of the main reasons for hating myself is the depression and the life it's made me lead. Self harm scars and the countless times I've thought about killing myself. It's always been a part of me but it's a part that I don't want to accept. But shutting out a part of yourself makes you feel like you aren't a real person, and you can't just shut out the bad, it's all or nothing and if you shut yourself off from misery then you also shut yourself off from happiness. 
      Self acceptance and self compassion have always sounded like good ideas. Here's a story. When I was very young I started cutting myself and my parents eventually found out. Not the best response from them. Didn't stop cutting but learnt that I'm a freak and no-one will understand or love me for being this way. If your parents won't offer you kindness and compassion then why would anyone else? Oh poor little me. But it set a pattern. It's wrong to feel like this and no-one will love you if you do. I'm older now and I realise how shit my parents were, but I can't say that I've got over this feeling.
      Release the drunken Kraken! When me and the monster are drunk enough we can get along and I can feel like a complete human being for a while. I'm sure that many people have had much more traumatic lives than me, but there's so much that I don't want to remember.

• By centaurus
      Hi all. I'm in early remission of opiate abuse/addiction, physical withdrawal are gone,but psychological are not and start really bothering me, because i start to feel these intense  cravings for opiates, i remember highs and that make me feel hopeless. Feel like I had lost my best friend. How do you fight these cravings?