CrazyBoards.org

Bizzbokks

I want to know how you all deal with your visible scars

Posted (edited)

Hey, new to this board. About 2 years ago my life spiraled out of control and due to personal reasons I began to self harm using various methods, cutting and burning mostly.  Quickly I went from making one or two cuts to virtually covering my entire body with close to 300 deep scars.  I can only hide them if i wear long pants and long sleeves, which really makes it hard to find a job due to short sleeve dress codes and the heat in the summer.  Im better now after spending two years inpatient doing dbt and intense personality disorder training but I just wanted to hear some opinions from some of you, do you still hide the marks or have you hit a point where you let the world see and accept it? Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by Bizzbokks

Welcome.

most of my scars are on my left arm (being right-handed), one of them severe. I've gone for years and years with long sleeve tshirts in hot summers, and as you said, just reached a breaking point a couple of years ago. I simply quit caring. My teens have lived with my scars growing up, they don't even question. I'm somewhat of a hermit, and work from home, so I don't have the job situation that you have, sorry. 

The only caveat is that when we're at our neighbors house - they're our best friends and ironically, both tdocs - I do either wear something long-sleeved, or be diligent about keeping my arm turned inward. I'm sure they probably know MI anyway, because I tend to disappear from time to time. 

I wish I had advice for you. Glad you're doing better now, and sincerely hope you're able to not go down that road again. 

Thanks Rabbit ^_^

I think im almost at the point of just letting them show, I feel like it might scare some people but at least maybe if i can get a light tan at least on my arms it might help, has anyone ever tried that tattoo cover up? A friend told me it would work being pretty thick but i think it would be a pain to wake up everyday to put makeup on my arms.

Thanks anyways and oh I really dont plan on it, dark days, glad to be here.

I don’t know if this applies to everyone but cutting scars fade after awhile and became less of an issue for me. The ones that have been tricky for me are the burns but I have, like Rabbit, stopped caring now. One looks almost exactly like a smallpox vaccination scar and is in the exact place so I often just write it off as that. The biggest one I have  is raised too but there’s not much I can about it hiding-wise  as it’s on my lower arm towards my wrist. No one has asked about it in a long time though, so I just function as though it’s not there anymore. The less self concisious you act, the less people inquire or notice. 

I am ashamed of the scars I have but have gotten to where I will wear clothes that show them..I worked as a hairstylist for several years and was self conscience of them and feared my clients and co-workers would comment on them...it only happened once and I just didn't bother explaining them...I just shrugged it off..I have toyed with the idea of tattooing over them..but just tell myself that they are kinda all ready tattoos and are part of my past..I've somewhat learned to just accept them..

Thanks for the replies guys, it looks like alot of you have decided to put them out there to see, luckily here in canada it is freezing winter right now but in the summer maybe ill give it a go, the main problem for me is i have serious keloid scarring, raised and large because I never sought out medical help to stitch the serious wounds, i doubt they will ever heal to a point of being completely unnoticable, but hearing from some people who have been there and just let it be gives me more of a reason to just let it be. :nerdy: