CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
sammymaguire

The doc cured my alcoholism without meaning to

This is my story. 20 years ago i developed clinical depression possibly bipolar 2  That was bad enough but the change in brain chemistry turned  me into an immediate overnight alcoholic.

I developed 4 problems.

1 My off switch broke . 1 drink would trigger mega cravings for more.

2 I became a messy fighting drunk

3 I developed horrendous blackouts

4 I had horrendous hangovers

nothing worked for 20 years and they tried to shove me into AA. I refused to go. Last year I found a new psychiatrist.

She px me Lamictal. It wiped out a layer of pacing agitated depression but I was still an alcoholic.

She px me Abilify maintena injections. My alcoholism disappeared in a puff of smoke. All 4 problems disappeared immediately

She put me on Sertraline for some residual depression/anxiety and I never looked back.

I am a normal drinker now. If you know anything about alcoholism then you will know what this cure meant to me. I think it is a miracle. My psychiatrist is not that interested. She just didnt get it. The internet shows there is little or no research on the subject. All I can do now is post my story on the psych forums in the hope of leaving a paper trail for people who are interested. needless to say I think the literature on dual diagnosis is rubbish...and dont even start me on AA

Edited by sammymaguire

AA is definitely bullshit. It works for some people, I suppose, but that model definitely doesn't work for me.