CrazyBoards.org

If I don't have to wake up for anything I sleep about 12 hours, but I can get up if I need to after 6 or less. For class or something like that.

When I’m in an episode, my sleep gets entirely out of sync and I need something for it.  Currently, 50mg of Benadryl will usually tackle it, though that’s a rare option because of the anticholinergic properties.  In the past, I’ve used seroquel, triazolam, risperdal, and ambien as helping with sleep.  That said, I find a lot of meds sedating, so I’ll tend to take them in the evening.  My current cocktail doesn’t put me to sleep though.

i can live with 8 for a short period, but really need more like 10 hours to feel relatively decent.

6.5 would drain the living daylights out of me unless it was drastically better quality than what I'm currently used to.  Even 8 is hard.

2 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

6.5 would drain the living daylights out of me unless it was drastically better quality than what I'm currently used to.  Even 8 is hard.

I know right! That’s what I said it was he receptionist though she said she would tell doc

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

I know right! That’s what I said it was he receptionist though she said she would tell doc

Yikes! I hope your Dr has a better answer! 6.5 hours is not enough in my book. Not at all!

To answer the original question of this thread:

I used to always sleep 12+ hours. Always thought I needed it.

But my current pdoc encouraged me and helped me reduce that down. Now I sleep 9-10 hours. Any less and I'm pretty worthless. Maybe someday though that will change. 

I occasionally slip and sleep more especially if I'm having a hard time especially with depression or being extremely overwhelmed. 

I'm very grateful for my good pdoc who helps me with my life and my meds. I'm glad I have reduced the amount of sleep I had been thinking I always needed. 

36 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Yikes! I hope your Dr has a better answer! 6.5 hours is not enough in my book. Not at all!

To answer the original question of this thread:

I used to always sleep 12+ hours. Always thought I needed it.

But my current pdoc encouraged me and helped me reduce that down. Now I sleep 9-10 hours. Any less and I'm pretty worthless. Maybe someday though that will change. 

I occasionally slip and sleep more especially if I'm having a hard time especially with depression or being extremely overwhelmed. 

I'm very grateful for my good pdoc who helps me with my life and my meds. I'm glad I have reduced the amount of sleep I had been thinking I always needed. 

I have a new pdoc. I have heard nothing back so I assume he’ll say it’s ok. I’m still feeling him out.

I used to sleep 8-12h a day, depending on what I had to do, including naps. After almost a year of being on CPAP and Provigil/Nuvigil, I'm at the point I can get 6-7h, be awake all day, and function adequately. It took several months of getting up within the same 1-2h time window every day to start getting accustomed to not sleeping until 10-11am when I don't work. I have chronic insomnia, so sometimes despite being tired, I can't fall asleep, but that has been improving as of late. Unless I'm depressed, in which case I can take Nuvigil, drink an energy drink, a cup of coffee, and go take a 4h nap, because none of that overrides depression. If I'm depressed, I'll sleep 9-12h a day through the worst of it, no matter what.

The right meds have made a huge difference. Heavily sedating meds make functioning 10x harder. I used to nap every day on Geodon, Lithium, Seroquel, and Latuda, and taking any of them at bedtime just made me hungover the next morning (sleeping through alarms too.)

5 minutes ago, dtac said:

I used to sleep 8-12h a day, depending on what I had to do, including naps. After almost a year of being on CPAP and Provigil/Nuvigil, I'm at the point I can get 6-7h, be awake all day, and function adequately. It took several months of getting up within the same 1-2h time window every day to start getting accustomed to not sleeping until 10-11am when I don't work. I have chronic insomnia, so sometimes despite being tired, I can't fall asleep, but that has been improving as of late. Unless I'm depressed, in which case I can take Nuvigil, drink an energy drink, a cup of coffee, and go take a 4h nap, because none of that overrides depression. If I'm depressed, I'll sleep 9-12h a day through the worst of it, no matter what.

The right meds have made a huge difference. Heavily sedating meds make functioning 10x harder. I used to nap every day on Geodon, Lithium, Seroquel, and Latuda, and taking any of them at bedtime just made me hungover the next morning (sleeping through alarms too.)

Wow how did u move on those meds

what r u on now

20 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Wow how did u move on those meds

what r u on now

To clarify, I wasn't on all of those APs at once, those were just the most sedating.

Now I'm on 2mg Rexulti, 5mg Trintellix, 250mg Nuvigil, 100mg Trokendi XR, with up to 2mg of Klonopin for sleep (and Xanax PRN.) Rexulti was sedating at 1mg, but not really at 2mg. I take the Nuvigil + Trintellix in the AM, and Trokendi + Rexulti in the PM.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2018 at 1:52 PM, looking for answers said:

I took remeron a week and was so drugged at 15 mg and 7.5 mg

LFA, for what it's worth, I tried 30mg of Remeron last night, and it was exponentially less sedating than 15mg is. YMMV of course if that's even on the table still/you still have some handy.

21 minutes ago, argh said:

LFA, for what it's worth, I tried 30mg of Remeron last night, and it was exponentially less sedating than 15mg is. YMMV of course if that's even on the table still/you still have some handy.

I don’t it was a while ago but u know it’s far less sedating at higher doses

20 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

I don’t it was a while ago but u know it’s far less sedating at higher doses

Yes I know. This was in response to your statement that 7.5 and 15 mg knocked you out. Wanted to add the idea that you can ramp it up and see if it helps with your sleep vs the other solutions presented in this thread.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:56 AM, looking for answers said:

My pdoc today told me 6.5 hours is enough when on seroquel and trazadone I laughed , this is over the phone I said I’m hungover as hel

It seems like your pdoc may be answering a different question or addressing a different problem than what is relevant in your case. When I've discussed medication specifically to address sleep, I've had a couple pdocs who consider getting someone to 6-7 hours of sleep good enough since while it's often not enough for optimal functioning, it's enough to meet general biological needs for a decent duration of time and trying to use medication to increase past this amount often tips to the point where increasing the medications have more side effects (sedation, hangover, etc.) than benefits. So he might be saying that it's "enough" meaning he doesn't think at 6.5 hours it's worth it to increase the doses since that would generally be the response to "not enough" sleep. 

I've basically gotten to the point after many episodes & several sleep med trials that I have decided it's not worth it for me, personally, to take anything specifically for sleep while depressed. I'd do it if I'm hypo and need the sedation. But personally, for me, being groggy and sedated while depressed feels worse than depressed and tired from lack of sleep.

Still can’t sleep

may try 200 traz even though my script is for 100 and doc told me to take 150

also found out remeron is on my genesight test as a do not us med. May need much larger doses to be effective which has held true before , MUCH larger doses

When do you see your doctor next?  (sorry if I missed this)  do you think it's worth another call, explaining that the 6.5 hours that they suggested is enough is in fact not enough?  Just wondering if that's a possible idea.