CrazyBoards.org

I don't believe I have an eating disorder, but I do have strange eating patterns with restriction involved and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I stop eating when I feel like my world is spinning out of control. My mother died a painful and miserable death four months ago. I stopped eating and lost fifty-five pounds in a little over two months. It was grief, it was the need to control something because I couldn't control my sadness and the loss-- I don't know. But then I went back to a perfectly normal diet for a few months and only gained five pounds of the weight back while doing so.

Now I'm back to restricting. Somehow it eases my anxiety, the ability to control something. I feel like I have power over something even if it's just food. Sometimes I'll go downstairs at night and go through the cabinets and the fridge and take out food packages and put them back. I don't know what I'm doing but it feels vaguely wrong. Sorry if this is triggering to anyone, I tagged the post with 'restriction' so hopefully people see it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I developed my ED as a coping mechanism.  

If you got counseling soon, maybe you could resolve it.  You could also get grief counseling.  You have my condolences in the loss of your mom.  I think grief is a process and it will occur naturally over time.  

But, an ED won’t help you in the long run.  I do understand and this isn’t triggering for me.  

EDs are strange.  It’s a good sign it feels “wrong”...I think you can turn it around if you act soon.

Take care.

Edited by rainyday107