CrazyBoards.org

Just now, looking for answers said:

All are ideas I just don’t want weight gain will

make me more depressed

I hear you on that. If I gain weight from meds, whenever I look at myself in the mirror anything good the meds were doing goes away. :(

On another note, we should of course mention that besides medications, there is always Deplin (L-methylfolate) if you get tested for the MTHFR mutation and have low red blood folate. It's approved as an augment by the FDA.

Your other 3 options would be non-pharmacological. electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and vagus nerve stimulation (VNS). All of which have demonstrated robust efficacy in many cases.

To add on top of the previous mentioned options would be NMDA antagonists. I've heard of memantine being used as an adjunct for mood disorders as well as riluzole. This would be far more experimental because the data supporting the glutamate hypothesis is still rolling in, but ketamine apparently is becoming the new Prozac. :P

9 minutes ago, browri said:

I hear you on that. If I gain weight from meds, whenever I look at myself in the mirror anything good the meds were doing goes away. :(

On another note, we should of course mention that besides medications, there is always Deplin (L-methylfolate) if you get tested for the MTHFR mutation and have low red blood folate. It's approved as an augment by the FDA.

Your other 3 options would be non-pharmacological. electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and vagus nerve stimulation (VNS). All of which have demonstrated robust efficacy in many cases.

I’m a gym rat. I track what I eat, bulk, cut know my body fat . Noooo weight gain!

i asked about deploy wAs shot down . I won’t do ect. The others absolute last resort.

the other meds I never heard ifof

Memantine blocks NMDA receptors and is used to treat Alzheimer's disease. Riluzole blocks NMDA and kainate receptors and is used to treat ALS. However, both have shown significant promise for treatment-resistant depression but most notably for anxiety disorders and OCD in particular. They share many pharmacological qualities with ketamine which is also being investigated in fast track for treatment-resistant depression.

3 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Heh I don’t think my doc is quite there yet 

Yeah by the time you get there you've already cycled through several. Here's an extremely experimental possibility as well:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161110145921.htm

The glutamate hypothesis isn't really new, it's just been gaining traction in recent years. But this is really novel. Celebrex (celecoxib) was approved to treat inflammation associated with arthritis, and it has been hypothesized that inflammation in the body plays a significant role in depression. Theoretically then, reducing inflammation should help. In the above study, escitalopram+celecoxib beat escitalopram+placebo by a long shot not only due to the rapid onset of effect but also in overall improvement at study completion. 

Seventy-eight percent of the patients in the celecoxib group experienced at least a 50 percent reduction in their depression scores, with 63 percent reporting their depression had gone away completely. By comparison, only 45 percent of the placebo group recorded a 50 percent or more reduction in depression, with only 10 percent reporting their depression had lifted completely.

But wait.....there's more.....

It typically takes four to six weeks before an antidepressant begins working. In the Loyola study, patients who took celecoxib began seeing a benefit from their antidepressant within a week.

For me I know escitalopram acts fast. WAY faster than fluoxetine. But seeing improvement like they're suggesting even at 1 week is nothing short of incredible.

15 minutes ago, browri said:

Yeah by the time you get there you've already cycled through several. Here's an extremely experimental possibility as well:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161110145921.htm

The glutamate hypothesis isn't really new, it's just been gaining traction in recent years. But this is really novel. Celebrex (celecoxib) was approved to treat inflammation associated with arthritis, and it has been hypothesized that inflammation in the body plays a significant role in depression. Theoretically then, reducing inflammation should help. In the above study, escitalopram+celecoxib beat escitalopram+placebo by a long shot not only due to the rapid onset of effect but also in overall improvement at study completion. 

But wait.....there's more.....

For me I know escitalopram acts fast. WAY faster than fluoxetine. But seeing improvement like they're suggesting even at 1 week is nothing short of incredible.

Damn