Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Celexa experiences

22 posts in this topic

Posted

I know it's different for everyone but overall, does Celexa tend to be more sedating or more stimulating?

I've been on Celexa for about almost two weeks now. Started off at 10mg for a week, and then went up to 20mg. So far, I'm not sure I feel much of anything except I'm tired (especially around bedtime-- once midnight hits, I'm a goner! Though I shouldn't complain; at least it isn't giving me insomnia) and a little bit apathetic.

I was really hoping it'd give me a bit of a boost, energy-wise. I was previously on 50mg of Zoloft which made me tired, cranky, and just not caring about anything. Compared to the Zoloft, I feel more like myself & less like I'm in a fog, but still low on energy. Will it get better? I know it's still way early on, but I was just curious.

Posted

I can't really say, haven't noticed a difference. I'm going through some med changes, so just generally feel weird at times, from who knows what. But it's nice to know that *someone* is on Celexa, it seems everyone's onto Lexapro now!

Posted

I was on Celexa for a year. It was an excellent AD for me. It made me a bit yawny and tired in the afternoons at first. That lasted for about 8 to 10 weeks, diminishing to nothing by the end of the second month. From then on, it was neutral.

Greeny

Posted (edited)

I'm on Celexa (20 mg) as well, but I've only been taking it for a couple of weeks too, so I don't know what its effect on me will be either. I felt incredibly nauseated the first week I was taking it and now that's gone I don't really feel any different yet.

edited to add that I worked up from 10 to 20 mg, too

Edited by dreamingagain

Posted

I can't really say, haven't noticed a difference. I'm going through some med changes, so just generally feel weird at times, from who knows what. But it's nice to know that *someone* is on Celexa, it seems everyone's onto Lexapro now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celexa is all my insurance covers, since Lexapro doesn't have a generic yet. And my doc rec'd Celexa over Lex for some reason.

I don't know if I've noticed much of a difference yet either. I've heard Zoloft is one of the stronger ADs, so maybe that's why Celexa doesn't seem to be doing much in comparison.

Posted

I don't know if I've noticed much of a difference yet either. I've heard Zoloft is one of the stronger ADs, so maybe that's why Celexa doesn't seem to be doing much in comparison.

I was up to 200mg zoloft, that was a nightmare. Bad tremors and nausea. I've gone down to 50mg, but I'm taking it concurrently with the celexa. And yes, started at 10mg and now at 20mg.

Same deal with insurance. Never exactly checked to make sure lexapro wasn't covered, but pdoc said "why hassle".

Posted

I think since Lex is the new and improved Celexa pdoc's figure it has advanced more medically wise ... so why use the older stuff, if it is basically the same.  Which is what I've heard it was ;)

Posted

My cousin takes Celexa for MDD and she finds it sedating, but I am sure it could go either way.

I find Effexor super stimulating while it puts others to sleep.

Posted

I've been on Celexa and now Lexapro for a few years. I never noticed any sedating effect, but then I have an anxiety disorder and PTSD, so anything short of a sledgehammer tends to go unnoticed.

But recently, my pdoc and I raised my Lexapro from 20mg to 30mg. Within a few days, I felt like a zombie. 11 days into it, I'd had enough. Now I'm down to 10mg (not a typo), and I'm noticing colors and things like that. I'm much more present in the world. So i guess I'd have to weigh in on the sedating side of "Celexapro" side effects.

Peter

Posted

Replying to my own post here to say that it seems pretty neutral so far... Maybe a little bit more energy, and I also feel like MYSELF which is so nice because I was a zombie on Zoloft.

I have also been sleeping GREAT at night, much better than on Zoloft (ironic considering that Zoloft made me exhausted).

Posted

update: I realize the last time I posted was only five days ago, but it definitely kicked in the last few days.

I feel sleepy in the afternoons and tend to wake up feeling sedated (or maybe this is what calm feels like and I just can't remember!), but it's a definite advantage over feeling sick and anxious from the moment I wake up. And greeny says the sleepiness passed, so I'm cool. I've actually been getting out and feeling sort of like a normal person. I went to church on Ash Wednesday...yes! This is the first time I've ever taken an AD, so pardon my ecstasies.

Posted

I've been on Celexa and now Lexapro for a few years. I never noticed any sedating effect, but then I have an anxiety disorder and PTSD, so anything short of a sledgehammer tends to go unnoticed.

But recently, my pdoc and I raised my Lexapro from 20mg to 30mg. Within a few days, I felt like a zombie. 11 days into it, I'd had enough. Now I'm down to 10mg (not a typo), and I'm noticing colors and things like that. I'm much more present in the world. So i guess I'd have to weigh in on the sedating side of "Celexapro" side effects.

Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have probably went from 30mg to 20mg and then to 10mg.  Probably having withdrawal effects.

Posted

Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have probably went from 30mg to 20mg and then to 10mg.  Probably having withdrawal effects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I wrote about noticing colors, being more present, etc., I meant in a positive way. I'm also less sedated, which is nice.

Posted

I've been on lexapro a few years, but just went back up to 40 mg. a few weeks ago and it is making me sleepier.  As I recall, last time it passed withing a few weeks, so any day now ;)

Tommy

Posted

I've been on lexapro a few years, but just went back up to 40 mg. a few weeks ago and it is making me sleepier.

Posted

I know it's different for everyone but overall, does Celexa tend to be more sedating or more stimulating?

I've been on Celexa for about almost two weeks now. Started off at 10mg for a week, and then went up to 20mg. So far, I'm not sure I feel much of anything except I'm tired (especially around bedtime-- once midnight hits, I'm a goner! Though I shouldn't complain; at least it isn't giving me insomnia) and a little bit apathetic.

I was really hoping it'd give me a bit of a boost, energy-wise. I was previously on 50mg of Zoloft which made me tired, cranky, and just not caring about anything. Compared to the Zoloft, I feel more like myself & less like I'm in a fog, but still low on energy. Will it get better? I know it's still way early on, but I was just curious.

Posted

I started celexapro three mnths ago and I went from 10mg and I am now on 40mg. I feel I have more energy on celexapram but everytime I go up in dose I do get a little tired in the after noun and I do take a nap I find its best to force myself to stay awake until night time. I have ptsd so its hard for me to sleep at night but I think drugs just effect people diffrently exspecailly with so many diffrent conditions.

Posted

I started on celexa last spring for daily crying spells which worked fine for that purpose however I was unable to lose any weight. Now in the last month I gained 14 pounds (on my doctors scale) so last Monday I called my pdoc and left a message that if I did not hear from him by Sunday am I was going to cut the little suckers in half. I should say that they are 20mg tablets. Now for 2 days I have not felt any different so at the end of the week I will take 10mg every other day for 1week then stop. So far so good.

Posted

I was on Celexa for about 4 mths a few yrs ago, going from 10- 20- 30, adding Lithium b/c it wasn't doing shit for the depression, and ended up taking myself off it.

I didn't find it stimulating or sedating, but it made my brain feel poisoned. a horrible feeling that I can't describe. I guess I tapered off too quickly. got bad dizziness and 'brain zaps".

Posted

I'm on Lexapro, Celexa's little brother, and I find it pretty damn sedating. If I wasn't worried about running out of SSRI/SNRI treatment options, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.

But I took Celexa a few years ago, and it didn't do anything to me (as in, it had no effect). Also, I liked Zoloft. It worked like magic (but eventually I stopped it and it didn't work at all when I tried it again).

Posted

I just started taking celebs for depression and anxiety. Feel like my brain is being zapped in a microwave. I'm on 20mg. Will this go away?

Posted

Lexapro seems stimulating at first dosage increase, then it starts to sedate.