CrazyBoards.org

My therapist just realized I have OCD tendencies and talked to my psychiatrist and she recommended adding Prozac to my meds for that...but she couldn't remember if I have taken it which i have but not for OCD...and she doesn't even feel i have an exact diagnosis but the tendencies...i already take lamictal 300mg, remeron 45mg, clonopin 4mg, lithium 600 mg and risperdal 4 mg I don't know if she will add something or just change out a medication my team has not wanted me on as many medications as i used to be but am finding myself on more and more. I have major depression, C-PTSD, anxiety and Anorexia and possibly OCD what do others take that work for  it i see my psychiatrist next week and will talk to her then I have heard luvox is good but just wondering others experiences and what with my other medications...

Ativan (benzos) always helped mine.  They say high high dosages of SSRIs for OCD work.

Another odd thing that helps is eating, but you probably don't want to get into that habit.  But after I eat food, carbs, the OCD goes away temporarily...

thanks I am on clonopin that doesn't seem to help so maybe a high dose of an SSRI i have tried those for depression but never OCD the OCD is new to me I may have had i ta while or at least the tendencies I am not diagnosed.

SSRIs or clomipramine (Anfranil). I got the most help from SSRIs. Benzos didn't do anything for my OCD.

EDIT: Also therapy. I have found that neither meds alone or therapy alone was sufficient to help me, but meds and therapy together allowed me to mostly overcome my OCD.

Edited by jt07

Thanks I am in therapy so maybe both meds and therapy will help my therapist is the one who mentioned medication for it and wants me to talk to my psychiatrist but i wanted to see what others have experienced. I am sort of new to this I have probably been struggling with it for some time i just didn't realize it.or thought it was normal because things I do are normal for me...

OCD is definitely stress related, as mine is always at its worse during stressful times...

That's why I think benzos are the most helpful, however maybe the most dangerous as well if you're not careful and using as prescribed...

But anything that slows the mind down, I should also mention Seroquel helps too.

THe OCD books I read also say you have to resist the compulsions, I'm only finding out now, at 35, that I have had compulsions and checking that I didn't noticed before...Even OCD with Pure O has these, just more subtle.  For example I sometimes will check my blood pressure constantly, every 10 minutes, you have to literally resist each one of these to take OCD's power away.

Posted (edited)

As others have suggested, therapy will help significantly, especially when done in conjunction with medication. A specific type of therapy called exposure therapry or  exposure and response prevention is very effective in patient with both panic disorder/social phobia and OCD, respectively. 

As far as medications go, Paxil, an SSRI, works pretty well for OCD patients. Also, the trycyclic antidepressant Anafranil is extremely effective in treating OCD symptoms and disorders. I believe it is the most studied drug with respect to treatment for OCD disorders.

I would advise against the use of benzodiazepines to treat your OCD only because you’re already on 4mg Klonopin and adding more will just make you more dependent on them and much harder to get off them down the road, and right now I am tapering off Xanax using Valium to help me decrease the Xanax dosage and it hasn’t been to bad due to the help of Valium, but if not tapered properly it can absolutely be one of the worst withdrawals and experiences you could ever have. So just keep that in the back of your mind when talking to your psychiatrist about treatment options for your OCD. 

As you mentioned, Luvox (fluvoxamine) is considered more of an agent used for treating OCD disorders, possibly due to its interaction at sigma 1 receptors (Stahl, 2008). Although Seroquel does calm down the mind, it does so through sedation. If you want excessive sedation then use Seroquel, but if you can’t afford around the clock sedation, I wouldn’t try it. The first line treatment for OCD disorders is using an SSRI while second line treatment, or if an SSRI fails, a tricyclic antidepressants such as Anafranil. Second line treatments also include MAOIs and SNRIs such as Effexor.

If all else fails, augmentation of an SSRI or tricyclic with an antipsychotic might be effective, but I noticed that you are already are on Risperdal 4mg. Augmentation with lithium is also another option but you are on that as well so maybe adding an SSRI such as Luvox or Paxil could work for you. Buspirone augmentation to an SSRI might be another treatment option, but if you don’t want to add too many meds to your current regimen than this might not appeal to you. Something else to maybe consider is deep brain stimulation, but this treatment is pretty experimental, and shouldn't be considered a first line treatment.

Edited by mmaryland
fix text

Depends how refractory/severe it is. Abilify was shown to help occasionally. I would second a look at anafranil/Luvox/misc. SSRIs first, and as said above I'd be super careful with more benzo. If your really desperate non sedating typical antipsychotics at really low dose can help-ish but the side effects are awful. Is it possible that the higher risp. Dose is making things worse? 

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will start with SSRI"s I am already on a high dose of benzos and I have tried seroquel it just made me gain weight and did not help me as intended it was not for OCD at the time that is a new discovery but I would prefer to start I think on an SSRI that seems the best path for me with my current regime. i do have to work in therapy on it more we have a lot to tackle right now as usual but I am doing the work so I have to try medication and work in therapy on it. i never really realized what i was doing was OCD like my therapist didn't even realize and we have worked together 10 years we just never really talked about that stuff.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, jt07 said:

SSRIs or clomipramine (Anfranil). I got the most help from SSRIs. Benzos didn't do anything for my OCD.

EDIT: Also therapy. I have found that neither meds alone or therapy alone was sufficient to help me, but meds and therapy together allowed me to mostly overcome my OCD.

I'm going to second the Anafranil. It worked great. 

I had positive results from SSRI's in the past. I have intrusive thoughts (well just one, but still) and especially Lexapro (escitalopram) worked. But Prozac (fluoxetine) is another good option.
Currently taking Anafranil (clomipramine), but I started just two weeks ago and I'm still at a low dose.
They say it's one of the best medications for OCD....

i take ziprasidone for bipolar I disorder, but also for ocd and it works great. i realize you're already on risperidone, although i was as well and ziprasidone works lightyears better. best of luck!