CrazyBoards.org

Blahblah

Heart pounding? List of appropriate heart tests?

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have strong heart pounding sensations from meds? It does not feel like it's racing, just beating really strong sometimes, I notice at bedtime. I wonder if its the combo of Ritalin + Effexor? I've been taking a 2nd Ritalin in the afternoons. I usually have low blood pressure, but wondering if meds can really change that as well?

My parents both had heart attacks quite young (50's) If I get an EKG is that really enough to assess that my heart is perfectly fine? Are there other tests to get? I heard that an EKG cannot always predict that you have a heart condition. It did not predict my mothers problems - her EKG never detected anything wrong, yet she would experience missing heart beats and/or tachardia sometimes during the night.

Edited by Blahblah

I have not had this from Ritalin, but I do know that it is a side effect of Effexor along with increased blood pressure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

If I get an EKG is that really enough to assess that my heart is perfectly fine? Are there other tests to get? I heard that an EKG cannot always predict that you have a heart condition. It did not predict my mothers problems - her EKG never detected anything wrong, yet she would experience missing heart beats and/or tachardia sometimes during the night.

A regular EKG or ECG (electrocardiogram) only measures the heart activity for a brief point in time, so it may not detect everything....It's just a general screening test.

There is a device called a holter monitor that could possibly be more accurate in determining any heart problems...It is a device that you wear for 24-48 hours and records all heart activity within that time:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/DiagnosingaHeartAttack/Holter-Monitor_UCM_446437_Article.jsp#.Wp6FpGrwYnQ

Wearing a holter monitor has no risks, and it's not painful at all, IME........At one point, I had to wear one for 24 hours because I felt my heart was skipping beats, and the regular ECG didn't show any problems........My holter test didn't show anything bad, either, so I'm guessing in my case it was just anxiety.

The only annoying thing for me was that I couldn't take a shower while wearing the holter.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thanks @CrazyRedhead This is what I recall - that the EKG is nearly useless because it will only detect something happening within that particular 5-10 minutes that they test you. Seems pointless, unless something is happening constantly.

My heart does feel it is beating stronger & a bit erratically also. I feel much more tired too, I am stressed and overworking (on computer) myself the last 2 weeks. I just feel a bit scared bc I take Ritalin (2x per day) + Effexor + 3 coffees per day to keep going. The coffee helps wake me up in the morning - I can't deal waking up before 10am it's awful. No matter when I get to bed, I hate mornings.

Do you have to be having heart pain or something serious to get the holter? I don't know if they think it's being paranoid if you want one for double-checking?

I think your symptoms and concerns are enough to get a consult with a cardiologist.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Do you have to be having heart pain or something serious to get the holter? I don't know if they think it's being paranoid if you want one for double-checking?

I agree with notloki above........Just tell your GP the symptoms you've been experiencing, and that you're concerned because your parents had heart problems at a relatively young age.........That should be enough for a GP to refer you to a cardiologist.

You can let the cardiologist know that you would like to have a holter test done.....I don't think you will have any problems getting it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

The stress echocardiogram is another test everyone should have at least once, It measures the heart's function while stressed over approx 30 min. by echocardiogram and EKG, This is the real information you want; how the heart functions at full load and not just idle. 

• Like 1

Thank you both.

I did have a "fitness test" 3 years ago. I don't know how thorough it was. It was given by my GP, I rode on a stationary bike for like 15 minutes with electrodes on & hooked to the computer and a breathing mask on. (The computer showed my heart rate, oxygen level or something I guess). He said there were no noticeable issues, only asked my to pedal as hard/fast as I could at the end - then he asked if i was feeling more pain in my legs or just out of breath. I felt no pain, I was just having a tough time getting a full breath at the end of the "sprint"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BipolarSpinster
      Hi, so 15 years ago I was on Dexedrine for several years and it helped me SO much. Well, ended up going off of it a few years ago, cannot remember why, but now that I needed a stimulant again, they’re telling me aderal (sp) is all they prescribe. Or at LEAST they don’t prescribe dex anymore. They say it isn’t made anymore? But I’ve read some here do take it unless those were old posts...Anyway! The adereral makes me irritable and works some but not great like the other did. 
      Im trying to find suggestions of another I could try that won’t give the irritability and something extended release that won’t keep me up all night! 
      Ritalin made me fly through the damned roof. 
      I have bipolar 1 and chronic lethargy, and probable ADD. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Edit: I’m sorry I cannot figure out how to put all my stats in as a tag line! Really AM getting old, or just too freaking depressed. 
    • By saoirse
      My pdoc was hesitant to put me on a moderate/high dose of a stimulant because he knows they've made me manic before, so he put me on 5 mg of Dex 2x a day. I went online to all of those drug forums (first things that popped up in the google search) and the people there basically said that 5 mg isn't worth anything and won't do a thing.
      However, I took 10 mg in the early afternoon and I'm still wide awake at almost 12:30 so maybe they're wrong? (I took 10 mg because I have to cut the 10 mg pills and I didn't know where the pill cutter was at the time.. long story. From now on I'm only taking 5 mg at a time, found the pill cutter--) 10 mg feels very powerful whereas the people on those websites said it might make you feel mildly high or something. I feel more than mildly high-- I feel euphoric and highly energized. 
      So is 5 mg a worthwhile dosage after all? If 10 mg keeps me awake long into the night, surely 5 mg will do SOMETHING, right? 
    • By Blahblah
      A main symptom of my depression is this debilitating inertia, lack of pleasure/reward and total boredom. It's like the feedback mechanism that motivates me into action & rewards me for taking action in pleasurable activities is completely broken...
      Despite this lack of reward/pleasure, I do take tons of action as far as forcing myself to exercise 3-4 days per week, eat right, socialize weekly, try creative projects, all kinds of new/different things incl volunteering to engage or distract myself, but I am fighting tooth & nail, ready to give up because I am always crazy bored and i'd rather just lay in bed or waste time online being unproductive (which in turn makes depression more severe). I feel useless and lazy. All of these positive things do not matter, I still feel the same and I'm afraid this will never change.
      Is there any OTHER solution other that stimulants or dopamine-type meds for this issue? Have stims cured this problem for you? I am afraid to get completely hooked on them. i don't even know if I really have ADD - or whether this issue is an ADD thing?? I know I quickly build tolerance to stimulants, they will stop working & then my reward system will be even more screwed for life never to return! Anyone have any feedback/thoughts around this topic?
    • By troop111
      Hi guys,
      I saw a new pdoc recently, and I related to him how I frequently sleep for 20-50 hours at a time because of depression, but he thinks there may be more than just "bipolar depression" causing my body to sleep continuously without interruption for such absurd amounts of time.  He recommended the potentiality of stimulants - Adderall, Provigil, Nuvigil.
      I have absolutely no experience with stimulants! All my meds have always been downers.
      I have friends who take Adderall and they believe it helps with their depression and bad thoughts. So I got some (haven't seen my regular pdoc yet) and tried it and it works well.
      But I have an extremely addictive personality, and I'm concerned that me jacking Adderall every day could lead down a bad road, which is why I'm so curious about other opportunities, such as Provigil or Nuvigil. I don't know how the latter two work, but the Adderall as you know is a pure amphetamine mixture, and the kind I've been taking recently is non-time-released, so it gives me a nice kick and puts me into a good mood and I stay out of bed and have actually been having some great days lately (highly unusual for me). But the addiction potential is definitely there, hence the Provigil or Nuvigil options. They're supposed to be much less addictive
      Will these two drugs give me the KICK that I need in my brain, to stimulate me in a good and fast way like Adderall? My research tells me that the mechanism of action is unknown. But they do stimulate the brain, not just in the same way as Adderall? Although if I recall correctly, in 2012 Provigil is now the official drug of fighter bomber pilots.
      Also, is it common for someone with my conditions and meds (see signature) to be taking stimulants?
      Thanks greatly in advance! I'm seeing my regular pdoc first to run all this by him, but I want your expert opinions and experiences so I can research all that I can before I see him.

troop

• By cloudmonger
      Lamictal is working well to balance my mood. Problem is, my apathy & motivation level is still in the dumps. I am also concerned about longterm cognitive effects that many people experience on Lamictal, worsening issues I already have (executive function/mental processing speed, memory difficulties, etc)
      I was previously on Ritalin (alone) and felt it helped with the above issues. Does being on a Mood Stabilizer cancel out the effects of a stimulant (Ritalin)? I wonder if the Lamictal will dampen Ritalin's effects because it is used to cut mania/high stimulation/impulses? Any thoughts?