CrazyBoards.org

jt07

Study: Opiates no better than OTC pain meds

The story is here. It was also on our local news. I can't seem to find the exact study citation. When I do, I will post it.

I don't know what to think of this. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say they were laying the groundwork to severely restrict or outright ban opiates given the current climate towards them.

I should have pointed out that the study applies to chronic pain and not acute pain.

Long term this could be correct due to tolerance.  The most useful way to use them is probably to control pain with other methods and then use them for breakthrough pain short term.   I am getting by with CBD oil, nerve blocks, and not sitting or standing for longer than an hour.

It’s an interesting paper that will definitely continue to affect clinical practice.  There is a move away from opiates.

Worth noting that they studied a very specific type of chronic pain, mostly in men, and excluded people with severe mental illness, among other things. So that does change the ability to generalize. 

Like benzodiazepines, opiates are a tool that can be used or misused. Neither good nor bad inherently. They certainly have a role, but I think part of what this study is looking at is that the role is not as large as previously thought. 

My own experience with both acute and chronic pain is opioids are way more effective than OTC meds. All NSAIDs have a 30 % chance of heart attack (Aleve, Ibuprofen), the FDA says avoid them. What are we supposed to do when we experience moderate to strong pain.

I have not read it but I think the deal is that opiates are less effective over time.  After a couple months of daily opiates, they are no more effective than OTC meds. You get to a point of diminishing return where you have to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By centaurus
      Hi all. I'm in early remission of opiate abuse/addiction, physical withdrawal are gone,but psychological are not and start really bothering me, because i start to feel these intense  cravings for opiates, i remember highs and that make me feel hopeless. Feel like I had lost my best friend. How do you fight these cravings?
    • By IcePrincess88
      I'm currently on 60mgs of morphine a day, 10mgs flexaril, and 20 mgs of hydrocodone. My pain doctor and I are trying to reduce pain without going up on the hard stuff. I'm currently trying gabapentin (300mgs 3×a day) but I dont notice any difference. We're trying lyrica next. I'd love to hear experiences with Lyrica.
    • By Unicorn
      I hadn’t been cutting for long before I was found out. My parents sent me to therapy hoping for a full recovery. I haven’t cut since the end of May -a little over for months ago- but I still fantasize about it everyday. I feel that since I’m not an active cutter I’m seen as being better but I’m not better. The urge is still there and life is harder now that I’m not doing essentially the only thing that remedied the pain. I wish I coined express this frustration to someone but I hate to disappoint. I burdened my parents and enough already and don’t want to hurt them anymore. How can I make the urge go away or get my parents to see that I haven’t fully recovered without hurting them? If you have any advice please lmk. Thanks. 
    • By birdonawire
      Hi,
      The subject has probably been brought up before, but I'm new here so please indulge me. I have a couple nasty pain issues that crop up.  Unfortunately, I have a pain pill addiction that crops up as well. I  have a good friend of mine hold my pills for me, because if they're in the house I have a tendency to take them for the addiction portion of the show instead of the pain portion . 
       I'm tired of juggling, but I have no idea what else to do. I'm also trying to get depression and other mental health issues balanced as well. I just started taking Abilify on Friday and not feeling the results As of yet.
      any suggestions would be happily received, OK maybe not happily, but they would be appreciated.
      thanks
    • By Blahblah
      What are your experiences with doctors who dismiss your chronic pain as being just "psychosomatic?"Especially when they know what meds you are on for depression/anxiety?  Just had a follow-up with a doctor I have been seeing for chronic pain. I have NEVER had any kind of chronic pain in my life - yet after an injury 1 year ago, this pain has not gone away despite many treatments, diagnostics.
      He said there is nothing he can do, the pain probably just "psychosomatic" and get this: he had the gall to ask if my pain (in my arm) was worse during "that time of month" !? Mysogyny at it's finest.
      This doctor is male...Should I file a complaint or write a message about how his comments were inappropriate or will this just flag me as that "difficult patient who may be a little obsessive" Have you experienced this?