Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Hello there,

I have had doctors consider bipolar type II for me on and off but they never really seemed to be firm with the diagnosis.  Conversely, I have had doctors say I don't have  bipolar, but MDD.  I recently decided to have a few short sessions with a very good psychiatrist and this is what he told me;  People with bipolar type II often tend to have hypomania in their late teens to early 20's before having a depressive episode.  He said people with bipolar II tend to experience more depression and less clear hypomania as they get older.

When I was 22 I remember feeling on top of the world.  I talked and joked constantly; I had magical thinking and thought I was psychic; And then something bad happened and it just seemed like I couldn't deal with life much and then things went downhill with a big crash at the end.

I'd rebound super quickly after a bought of meds and then I would be euthymic to dysthymic and that's where I would stay.  Life would then get good and would start to have a magical quality again;  I'd make some bad choices- caused maybe by my mindstate and/or a combination of poor coping mechanisms and then things would start to go downhill.  The next episode went downhill slowly until I dug up some traumas, and then I was suddenly suicidal.  I clawed my way out of that depression- barely.  I began experiencing dysthymia with a heavy slice of anxiety.  That bought of depression and anxiety seemed brought on because I felt so disconnected and like everything wasn't making sense anymore.  I felt agitated and terrified of going out in public.  I started experiencing panic attacks in public.

I tried antidepressants which worked in the beginning but I felt like I was clinging to sanity with a thread on them in the end.  I felt kind of numb but mostly strange and anxious.

I went off them and anxiety would get worse; I went from being very anxious to majorly anxious.  Then I would sort of half recover but never fully.  I was often very socially phobic to being set off into an anxiety attack when having to do something like ordering coffee.

I was tried on topomax which worked like a charm at first but it was a little hard on the insides. I was not always med compliant because it seemed like no  one was sure of what was happening with me; their diagnosis seemed to change dramatically from doctor to doctor which made it hard for me to manage consistent treatment.  It seemed like everyone had a different opinion on how I should be treated.

I am doing ok.  The new psych suggested aggressive treatment of my symptoms;  he said the current drugs I am on are ok for now but maybe switching to atypical antipsychotics and a drug like Lamictal might be better for me in the long run.  Unfortunately this doctor is not my permanent doctor as I felt he gave me useful advice on getting treatment.  He is transferring his diagnostic info to my family doctor with med suggestions.  My family doctor has managed patients with bipolar so I think I this has put me on track to consistent treatment.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wookie said:

Hello there,

I have had doctors consider bipolar type II for me on and off but they never really seemed to be firm with the diagnosis.  Conversely, I have had doctors say I don't have  bipolar, but MDD.  I recently decided to have a few short sessions with a very good psychiatrist and this is what he told me;  People with bipolar type II often tend to have hypomania in their late teens to early 20's before having a depressive episode.  He said people with bipolar II tend to experience more depression and less clear hypomania as they get older.

When I was 22 I remember feeling on top of the world.  I talked and joked constantly; I had magical thinking and thought I was psychic; And then something bad happened and it just seemed like I couldn't deal with life much and then things went downhill with a big crash at the end.

I'd rebound super quickly after a bought of meds and then I would be euthymic to dysthymic and that's where I would stay.  Life would then get good and would start to have a magical quality again;  I'd make some bad choices- caused maybe by my mindstate and/or a combination of poor coping mechanisms and then things would start to go downhill.  The next episode went downhill slowly until I dug up some traumas, and then I was suddenly suicidal.  I clawed my way out of that depression- barely.  I began experiencing dysthymia with a heavy slice of anxiety.  That bought of depression and anxiety seemed brought on because I felt so disconnected and like everything wasn't making sense anymore.  I felt agitated and terrified of going out in public.  I started experiencing panic attacks in public.

I tried antidepressants which worked in the beginning but I felt like I was clinging to sanity with a thread on them in the end.  I felt kind of numb but mostly strange and anxious.

I went off them and anxiety would get worse; I went from being very anxious to majorly anxious.  Then I would sort of half recover but never fully.  I was often very socially phobic to being set off into an anxiety attack when having to do something like ordering coffee.

I was tried on topomax which worked like a charm at first but it was a little hard on the insides. I was not always med compliant because it seemed like no  one was sure of what was happening with me; their diagnosis seemed to change dramatically from doctor to doctor which made it hard for me to manage consistent treatment.  It seemed like everyone had a different opinion on how I should be treated.

I am doing ok.  The new psych suggested aggressive treatment of my symptoms;  he said the current drugs I am on are ok for now but maybe switching to atypical antipsychotics and a drug like Lamictal might be better for me in the long run.  Unfortunately this doctor is not my permanent doctor as I felt he gave me useful advice on getting treatment.  He is transferring his diagnostic info to my family doctor with med suggestions.  My family doctor has managed patients with bipolar so I think I this has put me on track to consistent treatment.

 

 

If this is the case I suggest finding a pdoc over a family dr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

If this is the case I suggest finding a pdoc over a family dr

I am looking for a regular pdoc.  My symptoms are manageable at the moment.  I might see if my temporary psych can be my regular doctor.  I will see about a permanent pdoc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wookie said:

I am looking for a regular pdoc.  My symptoms are manageable at the moment.  I might see if my temporary psych can be my regular doctor.  I will see about a permanent pdoc.

That would be a good fix!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am honestly a bit depressed and scared.  I am afraid the meds won't work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

100 mg zoloft and down to 250mg of Lyrica which was prescribed for anxiety.  I was at 300 mg but there is a concern it is causing depression.  What meds have you found that worked?  I notice you have been given a label of BP 2 mixed states.  That dx has been handed to me as well.

Edited by wookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried buspar and experienced major agitation and began picking fights with people.  I went up on zoloft and was a bit anxious and edgy, and never felt calm.  I didn't sleep much either.  My guess is a mood stabilizer like latuda; lamictal takes a long time to adjust too.

I have been paranoid lately.  I think my coworkers are out to get me.  I literally snapped at my bf today over work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wookie said:

I tried buspar and experienced major agitation and began picking fights with people.  I went up on zoloft and was a bit anxious and edgy, and never felt calm.  I didn't sleep much either.  My guess is a mood stabilizer like latuda; lamictal takes a long time to adjust too.

I have been paranoid lately.  I think my coworkers are out to get me.  I literally snapped at my bf today over work.

try vraylar, its new, but i love it and know others do too, lithium as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth a shot.  I am trying to just do things to take my mind off of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, looking for answers said:

try vraylar, its new, but i love it and know others do too, lithium as well

How are you now that you are on meds?  What was it like for you being undermedicated?  If I go the anti-psychotic route I might try something with a sedating profile.  I tried abilify and found it terribly activating at a small dose.  Scared of adding one more med to the cocktail but I am concerned I am getting a little destabilized.  I got activated on 450mg of lithium.  Missed one dose one night (after getting stuck somewhere downtown) and then a switch was flipped and I just about shredded my apartment in a rage.  It was like my mood episode came on so fast just by missing a dose.

Without meds I get ruminations, anxiety attacks, and major insomnia, high agitation, aggression.  Depression, anxiety, bipolar II.  I don't know anymore just whatever meds work these days

Edited by wookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30.03.2018 at 7:31 PM, wookie said:

People with bipolar type II often tend to have hypomania in their late teens to early 20's before having a depressive episode.  He said people with bipolar II tend to experience more depression and less clear hypomania as they get older.

That's very interesting what the doc said. As it's my story too, before I got diagnosed my life looked just like that, though after I've been diagnosed I tend to have more manic episodes then depressive ones, I'm more depressed on meds by the way.

About your personal experience I think you should talk to few more docs as right diagnosis is very important and don't be afraid of the process of choosing best drug or coctails for you. It takes some time but when you get there it can be only better.

To be honest I'm facing the same feelings and emotions as you mentioned without drugs, but I'm BP I with 4 psychosis so far. I don't think it's the same thing but it might be BP II in my opinion,  do what you can to talk to more docs to be sure. Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wookie said:

How are you now that you are on meds?  What was it like for you being undermedicated?  If I go the anti-psychotic route I might try something with a sedating profile.  I tried abilify and found it terribly activating at a small dose.  Scared of adding one more med to the cocktail but I am concerned I am getting a little destabilized.  I got activated on 450mg of lithium.  Missed one dose one night (after getting stuck somewhere downtown) and then a switch was flipped and I just about shredded my apartment in a rage.  It was like my mood episode came on so fast just by missing a dose.

Without meds I get ruminations, anxiety attacks, and major insomnia, high agitation, aggression.  Depression, anxiety, bipolar II.  I don't know anymore just whatever meds work these days.

I’m getting there. Better but not where I wanna be, vraylar and Paxil were the game changers . I love vraylar. But it’s activating. Seroquel is great for my sleep.

 

Obviously being undermedicated was hell. I felt like i wass in torture 24 hours a day, just wanted to not exist, but not suicidial.I know the feeling of not wanting to add more to the cocktail hell look at mine now its a bunch, but eventually u gotta trust ur doc and keep going until u get where u wanna be then worry about peeling back meds. I wish u the best of luck and will be thinking about u. all your without meds symptoms were what i was feeling when iwas undermedicated

Edited by looking for answers
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • By wookie
      Hello,
      I am currently on two medications,  Zoloft 100mg and Lyrica 300mg, and had sort of a weird bought of mood swings over the last two weeks that may have been just work related though I was feeling agitated one day, and flat and depressed the next few days.  Now I am sort of about as normal as normal gets, for now.
      Different medications have been suggested to me for managing bipolar II and I am sort of hesitant to try something in addition to what I am already on because what if my medication trial goes side ways and it makes me worse?  I know start up can be rough but I just don't know if things are bad enough now to start messing around.  I was feeling anxious and scared about work (enough that I took a day off to reset myself) and wondered if I could benefit from different meds that are more in-line for treating bipolar disorder.
      I feel kind of stuck and wish I was starting from where I am on no meds to transitioning to 1st line treatment for bipolar.
      Any thoughts?  Anyone start out on meds for MDD and anxiety transition well to meds for bipolar?  Med changes are never fun in my experience.
    • By mmaryland
      Does anyone else have experience with Rexulti completely destroying their depression? For me, Rexulti almost had a same day anti-depressant effect and controls depressive episodes acutely and astoundingly fast. I literally feel anti-depressant effects in as little as 3 hours after I take it. When I look back to when I was on it, I now realize that I didn't have a single bout of depression during that time, it just was not super effective in controlling mania. I think Rexulti is a hell of an anti-depressant, a way improved drug than abilify with less than half the side effects, no lethargy or cognitive impairment either which is always surprising to find in an antipsychotic. I know it has an indication for adjunctive therapy in adults with MDD but none for bipolar depression... maybe Lundbeck is just waiting for close to the expiration of the patent before the release new clinical trial data and extend their patent after they get the bipolar depression indication approved, but that's just a thought.
      Anyone else have a similar experience with Rexulti, brexpiprazole? Please let me know about your time on the medication and if it sat well with you or not so much. Interested in if others are also getting this rapid and significant anti-depressant effect from this drug or if it's just me
    • By DebbieNinja
      Hello all.  I am newly diagnosed with Bipolar II.  I have dealt with major depression and anxiety for most of my life.  After being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 37 and undergoing 6 surgeries in 4 years along with 16 chemo treatments, my depression got much worse.  I started going to to counseling and was eventually referred to a doctor for medical management of my symptoms.  She has recently diagnosed me with Bipolar II.  Have any others been diagnosed later in life (I am 42 years old) or after a life changing episode like cancer? 
      I was already taking Effexor 150mg and she added Zyprexa.  However, due to sudden weight gain and dizziness, she has changed that to Latuda.  Is anyone else currently taking Latuda? From what I read it is a newer med.  
       
    • By Elice
      Hello,
      I've been reading some of the older posts here about people's experience on Lamictal. I was just put on this drug last week (starting week two of 25mg and will increase to 50mg next week). I have always been terrible about going to the doctor, but finally had enough of the panic and anxiety and luckily found an NP I really like and get on well with (of course it's just been one visit). 
      She diagnosed me as bipolar II, which is a new diagnosis for me (though makes perfect sense). The first couple of days taking the lamictal was good, but I think it was the 'yay, I sought help' euphoria. Now I'm having a really hard time doing anything. Part of why I made the appointment in the first place was my not wanting to leave my house, feeling like I can't or shouldn't, and now that feeling is worse. I also take prozac 20mg daily. I feel like I'm in a fog, or looking at the world from the outside. Is this at all normal? I surely know these things take time, but I'm minimally functioning and it's maddening. 
      Thanks for any feedback. 
    • By rainyday107
      I am depressed. I usually am watching out for mania, mixed and psychotic episodes. I haven't been depressed in awhile. 
      I am safe. I'm not going to hurt myself in anyway. 
      However, I need to help myself while I still have the motivation. Before I sink too low. I have been there. It's horrible. 
      Im so "rusty" on depression. I want to help myself. I'm a reader, a researcher, an information-gatherer, by nature.
      I want to gather info and strategies to help me get better. I just need to figure out where to start. 
      Google is always my go-to, but I was wondering if anyone had a source they like or things that help them.
      I thought about reading all the threads in this section, but I don't know if it will help or trigger me. 
      I guess I need a "depression toolbox."  Any tips or sources are appreciated. I know this will pass. Thanks. 
×