CrazyBoards.org

I hope this is the right thread for this.

Today we took our kids to an Easter Egg drop. There were sooooooo many people there. We had 5 of our 7 kids with us ranging in ages of 4 year old twins, 10 year old, and two 13 year olds. When the "hunt" started, one of my toddlers disappeared into the crowd. We knew a lot of the people at this church so at first I didn't worry because I knew he would reappear as people moved. 

When he did not, I started to worry. After several minutes I was bawling and trying really hard not to freak out. In one of those moments my perception of everything around me changed. It was....wavy? vagely blurry? It was different. I felt foggy. I don't really know how to better explain it, but nothing felt real (and still does not). 

We did eventually find him, he had wandered off to another age section of eggs.... <3 

I have had this unrealism happen off and on since I was a teenager. It lasted much longer at a time then, but the first time I remember it happening I was around a lot of people then too. I'm categorizing this as a part of my anxiety flaring up. I just feel like I "cracked" if that makes sense. I feel like I am kind of on a precipice of sorts, but I am watching everything that happens from a distance, or through holes in a wall. I am confusing myself trying to explain this lol. 

How do you cope with this?

What does it usually mean for you?

What generally causes it for you?

Anxiety can absolutely cause dissociation. For me, the easiest way to avoid dissociating is to try to manage the triggers that cause it (be it anxiety, or depression, or whatever). Once I've dissociated I'm basically done for the day (or even the next few days) as it takes me at least a few hours to notice that I've left my brain behind. 

I'm not really sure what you mean by "what does it mean to you?" I don't find it spiritual, if that's what you're getting at. For me it just means that I'm stressed, or scared, or vulnerable, or triggered, or have something else going on.

You could cope with it by grounding, if you can find a grounding method that works for you (this takes some trial and error). I imagine that you could cope with it by taking a rescue med for the anxiety if you have one, too. Meds seem to act faster, and they don't require months of trial and error and practice. Hard to remember to be skillful in the moment, sometimes.

• Thanks 1

I agree with WinterRosie that grounding can be helpful when I'm dissociated (though it doesn't help everyone).  There are lots of different things to try.  Most of the time I go for sensory things.  If I have my wallet with me, I'll bring out the card where I wrote on it one that I use most frequently--5 things you can see in the room with you, 4 things you can feel (ex. chair on body), 3 things you can hear right now, 2 things you can smell, and 1 good thing about yourself.

My therapist sent me a list of others when I let her know that I was really out of it.  That includes:

1) splash water on your face

2) sip cold water

3) hold onto a cold can or bottle of soda - feel the coldness and then taste the fizziness

4) ask yourself who you are, where you are, name things around you, comment on sounds

5) feel your clothing on your body and sensations as you move

6) feel chair under you and the weight of your body against it

7) if y9ou can lie down, notice the contact with bed by all body parts

8) hold mug of hot tea--feel warmth and take small sips, noticing the feeling as it goes down

9) walk around and notice each step as you take it

10) step outside/inside and notice a temperature difference or similarity

My apologies if you already know this stuff.  There are dozens more, but those are some of the ones that work better for me.  I generally avoid the more body-related ones because of the nature of some of my trauma stuff, but some people find them easier to remember.

• Like 2

I have this feeling sometimes too, apart from very good advice that dancesintherain mentioned if I'm with my husband in that kind of situation I always ask him to hug me, and it normally helps. So I would add point 11) touch someone you're with at the moment or ask to touch you.

• Like 1

Also, since we went in this direction, moving this to the dissociation board.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Artsygirlms
      I’m back. I think the last time I posted I was just getting adjusted to tegretol. Well, it’s been a trip through hell and back, but I’m here.
      I landed at a new pdoc last September after I transferred with my company and couldn’t find a pdoc soon enough to refill my klonopin. Yes, klonopin, the worst drug ever.
      I went to the hospital, got a pdoc appointment the next day & so began the hell of being prescribed the wrong meds and trusting a doctor that seemed more concerned about billing as many patients as possible than helping people recover.
      I was in a depersonalized state when this started, but I didn’t know what it was. My dr put me on 400 mg tegretol and 1 mg klonopin. I instantly turned into a hungry zombie. Slowly the zombie fog lifted then autoimmune symptoms cropped up. Hair was falling out in clumps and handfuls. Skin was cracking and bleeding. Eczema everywhere. Dermatologist misdiagnosed me with dermatomyositis which scared me to death. I was told I may have lupus. No energy. Legs bleeding from scratching. And my 5 minute a session once a month pdoc kept me on tegretol and added 150mg lithium for depression. He transferred me to his private IOP. That was a cluster. The secretary was screwing up my appointments. I’d go and wait for counseling but the counselor was over booked so three hours later, I’d leave without seeing the counselor. The counselor made everything worse because she kept trying to get me to dig around my past trauma (which FYI every human being has), and it only made my anxiety and depersonalization worse. On all these meds I was rapid cycling, working very scattered and confused, taking on side work, becoming hypomanic and committing to something only to have panic attacks and flee.
      Finally, after the IOP secretary gave me a card with an appointment date for two weeks later than she actually wrote on the calendar, I had to wait two more weeks to see my pdoc...yeah, that was the last straw.
      I finally reached out to trusted friends with connections from their nursing jobs to get an appointment with a well respected pdoc. I just saw him. Keep in mind the past two weeks I’ve been rapid cycling and depersonalized and riddled with panic. I stopped taking tegretol and lithium because I just got worse. Oh did I mention last pdoc put me on doxepin for sleep? Wtf. It made me feel like a drugged, dirt hangover crawling out of my skin. Pdocs-stop giving rapid cycling bipolar patients antidepressants!!
      so here I am. Just saw new pdoc. He prescribed 25mg seroquel to sleep and stop random paranoia when I’m hypo. Gabapebtin at my request to heal my broken brain. Started on lamictal again which actually works for me and kept me on .5mg of klonopin. I’m seeing him once a week until we get me stabilized and ready to wean off klonopin. He instantly said my dizziness, confusion, scattered thinking, and dream like experiences were dissociation caused by severe anxiety and I’m highly sensitive and react paradoxically to medication.
      also, his office was very calming. I was the only patient there and when I left, another walked in. He saw me for over 30 minutes.
      my last pdoc literally had over 100 patients in his waiting room at all times. Standing room only. Lines around the corner to pay copays. Then he ran the IOP and would see 50 plus patients a night and also did rounds at a local hospital. Oh and he drove a 150k Mercedes. Hmm.
      all in all, I’m here. Seroquel knocked me out. I freaked myself out last night because I woke up around 3 am and my leg and arm were stiff in the air. Like I tried to get out of bed and just fell asleep again. I do like gabapebtin so far. Lamictal is fine I just need to titrate up.
      in all of this I’m concerned about my job. I’m an architect and the pressure cracked me up. Also, I’ve worked hard for years to fix my finances and buy a house. Of course, I finally did it and close on my house in a week. Great time to have a nervous breakdown. Because that’s what happened. My brain and central nervous system are fried and I just want to feel normal.
    • By Simone.
      Hello everyone! Where to begin...
      I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder with some avoidant traits. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety since elementary school (I am 22 now).
      Up til this point, I have been in and out of hospitals and treatment centers and passed around from therapist to therapist. I was heavily self- harming and abusing alcohol and other substances. A few months ago, I was sent to yet another center after a suicide attempt. 
      Let me tell you, it changed my life. I was introduced to DBT, which has truly saved me. I am finally on the correct medication which has seriously reduced, if not stopped, my horrid intrusive thoughts and paranoia. Before, I was to the point I could hardly get out of bed, and already had to drop out of college and leave my job. Now, I have rediscovered my love for art, I am waitressing (something I would have NEVER thought possible) and- best of all- my relationship with my fiance is SO much better and we are back to planning our wedding.
      I am back to seeing a therapist regularly, and she is awesome. I've finally confronted issues with my toxic mother and am opening up about traumatic childhood experiences as well as working through family therapy with my father (and my mother, when he can convince her to join). 
      The fact is, life is GOOD, I am somewhere I thought I would never be and I am incredibly grateful. I'm back here to recieve support now that I am more stable and moving forward into uncharted territory in my life. Thanks for being here and reading.
    • By DebK
      I bought a bottle of CBD water soluble solution to help with anxiety, but I think I suffer more with depression currently.  Any others out there trying just about anything for help?  I'm even considering getting a medical marijuana card and some marijuana for my depression and lack of motivation here in Florida.  The process isn't cheap though and I don't want to bother unless I can hear from some trusted folks that it can help.  I am first trying the CBD oil since it is legal  due to not containing any THC.  I would be interested in a discussion on these topics.  I am surprised these aren't already topics here.  I am at my wits end trying to find a fucking AD that works.
    • By Courty140
      I’ve been dealing with an episode of anxiety and depression since the beginning of January. Despite having had some similar episodes in the early 2000s, I was anxiety and depression free from 2008 until January. 
      I have increase my Paxil dose to 40mg (I was on 30mg for the last 10 years) and I’ve added Lamictal. Just gotten up to the 100 mg range 3 days ago, so hopefully I will balance out soon!
      In my quest to feel better and get my life back on track, I started researching additional options and came across TMS. I had a consultation and managed to convince my insurance to cover 36 visits (yay!). I had my first visit to get set up on March 5th and then went on vacation. I felt quite a bit better throughout March so I decided to delay starting TMS. Unfortunately the anxiety and depression has returned. 
      I start TMS on Monday. They only had one appointment for me next week, though they said they’ll probably get some cancellations, but I’d love to hear from anyone who’s done this and who can share their experience. I’m not afraid of the treatment, just that it won’t help. Did you go 5 days a week?  My doctor says between 2 and 3 days a week will have the same effect. I’ve read some stories on here, but they’re all a couple years old, so I’m hoping for some more recent accounts. Thank you in advance!!
    • By Courty140
      In January of this year I woke up with a panic attack completely out of the blue.  Despite several episodes of anxiety and depression in my 20s, my last episode was back in 2008!  At that time I went through a year or so of therapy, committed to staying on 30mg of Paxil, and I never looked back.  I honestly would have said I was cured!  The panic attack led to a period of anxiety that lasted right through February.  I upped the Paxil to 40mg and worked with a psychiatrist who suggested adding Lamictal.  We started at 25mg for 2 weeks, 50mg for 2 weeks, and then 75mg.  I started noticing a positive difference at about a week on 75mg.  A few days later, the anxiety and depression just lifted!  It was like I had my life back.  For nearly a month I felt great, and believed the Lamictal must have made the difference.  Unfortunately, it didn't last.  
      About a week ago something minor triggered anxiety in me, and again it has lasted!  My psychiatrist recommended going up to 100mg of Lamictal, so I started that two days ago.  My question is, does lamictal work and then wear off if it's not at the right level?  Has anyone had success with an SSRI and lamictal for anxiety and depression, not related to bipolar disorder?  Can anyone offer advice on how to keep the faith with these medication changes, or how to overcome anxiety?  Looking for others who get it, and want to help!