CrazyBoards.org

I'm considering treatment for alcohol. However my fear is that if I'm labeled an addict that I will be cut off from adderall which i use responsibly.  Will I be banned from receiving prescriptions for adderall if I come clean on my  alcohol self-medication?

Posted (edited)

@Bostonian Aspergian, Does your pdoc know you are currently using alcohol to self-medicate?

I think it would depend on the individual pdoc  as to what they would do......But that's just my opinion.

A pdoc might think that using alcohol along with lorazepam and Ambien might be risky as well, but some docs might also think that getting treatment for an alcohol problem would be a positive thing for you to do.

Personally, I think you should seek treatment if you believe your alcohol use is becoming a problem for you, and be honest with your doc about it......Again, just my opinion.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

That's a tough question. As Redhead said, it is really going to depend on your pdoc. Some pdocs view any substance abuse as a bar to being prescribed controlled substances while others differentiate between substances and would think that alcohol abuse is very different from stimulant abuse. You do have going for you the fact that you have never abused your stimulant. I think that will go a long way towards letting your pdoc know that you can be trusted.

I do encourage you to get help with alcohol though. Mixing alcohol and lorazepam is potentially dangerous. 

Maybe it's because of where I live in meth country (what isn't these days?) but docs in general around here get real weird when you even mention you're an addict.  Seems like all of them in my area are cutting off benzos as an option to anything, and get extremely strict with anyone who shows addictive behavior.  My last pdoc here gave me gabapentin for my anxiety but that was only marginally effective at the highest dosage.  Her last resort was hydroxyzine (I'm pretty sure that's it but I only took it for 3 days) but I can't take that.  It's like zyrtec and makes me all weird.  Those are the only drugs I've had that makes me somewhat dissociate off and on.  I was out of options and she wouldn't even mention any of the benzos.  Basically that's all we have so be on your merry way and just tough it out now.  And of course my natural response is they can now go fuck themselves.  But I digress.

I think, unfortunately, if they think of Adderall in the same fashion as benzos they might be hesitant to px it for addicts. But what do I know.  Just seems they're really going that way in my area at least.  Fucking Nazis. 

My last doctor who passed away and newer doctor know I had alcohol problems in the past and that it was bad enough to go to treatment. It was in my records. 

But my doctor still trusts me enough to prescribe meds with abuse potential.  Klonopin, Gabapentin and various stimulants (Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin).  But, she always hand writes the scripts instead of putting them through to the pharmacy via computer, and puts the date that they can be filled. 

She also asks me every appointment if I have been drinking if other meds aren't working well.  I don't drink anymore, but I have a past, so I understand the questioning. 

Its a good thing though, it has taught me to be responsible with my medications.  

Imo, being up front and honest, is the best way to be with a doctor.  They aren't stupid, they know what addictive behavior looks like.  So if you need something and it works for you, just be honest if the Dr. asks about other issues. 

Of course this was my experience and I can't promise that it will be the same for you. 

Hope this helps...