CrazyBoards.org

What is your morning routine as far as getting up, breakfast & taking meds? what is best for absorption? I am usually starving when I get up and have oatmeal (or plain granola) with blueberries, water and then take my meds. Often I have a small, plain yogurt. I have 2 coffees afterwards.

I take Ritalin and wonder if this breakfast could reduce the efficacy? I don't usually drink any juice but I wonder if fruit and coffee is too acidic? I cannot skip it! Do you wait a certain amount of time before having your coffee, juice or whatever?

I need to confess I sometimes wash down the meds with the coffee so I guess I do even the worse thing what doesn't make me the best exemple, but I don't think it has that major impact on drugs,that's only my opinion, but I try to avoid juices, esp. my favourite one, from grapefruite, as I heard is dangerous to mix it with some meds.

Posted (edited)

@Blahblah, According to drugs.com,  Ritalin or Ritalin SR should be taken at least 30 to 45 minutes before eating, but the Extended Release Ritalin can be taken with or without food:

https://www.drugs.com/ritalin.html

Also I found this info about interactions between foods containing Vitamin C , and Ritalin.....Basically it says that you should only consume these foods either an hour before, or an hour after, taking Ritalin, in order for the Ritalin to be most efficient.

According to the article below, this would include fruits, broccoli, strawberries, potatoes and tomatoes:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/ritalin    (After clicking on link, also click on "interactions" at the left side of page).

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I set my alarm for around an hour before I wake and take my meds and go back to bed so my medication will be kicking in by the time I wake up and I will actually awake and not go back to sleep.

I take medication when I wake up at my house and I eat breakfast when I get into my office, about 1.5 hours later.  None of my medications have a "take with food" or "avoid food" warning label, though, so this is largely just convenience.  I'm guessing this is probably a drug-by-drug situation.

i take my morning medication after breakfast, which is usually plain yogurt with a banana and granola and ~1 hour after i get up. i have tea/coffee at the same time i eat breakfast, so i often end up taking my meds with a swig of that. i take effexor which does have a take with food warning.

I take Effexor too. I guess I've just become lazy, I should probably take my meds right when i wake up, then wait a bit before eating or try not eating fruit/coffees directly with it...

Other than that, maybe it's just a sign that I need to take a 5 day break from the Ritalin again, somedays it feels like I haven't taken anything. I am dragging and my brain has been in a fog all day long today.

I take my morning meds on an empty stomach as I take levothyroxine, which is supposed to be taken 30 minutes before breakfast. Sometimes I don't wait 30 minutes before eating though, but my thyroid labs come back normal. I also take Effexor, and I've never had a problem taking it on an empty stomach but my pdoc says I tolerate meds well. 

My system is to take meds when I feed the dogs twice daily so I don’t forget. I have an iffy stomach in the morning so I take everything but Concerta and another med at night. I have a coffee with milk, like a latte, for breakfast. At night it’s random whether I’ve eaten or not but I take them anyway and it works for me. I figure it’s more important to just take them when I remember rather than work around my chaotic eating habits. But that may not work for everyone. 

Pour bowlful of meds. Add milk.

What is this "breakfast" you speak of?

I go to the cabinet every single [expletive cheerfully {no, that's a lie, sourly} deleted] morning and dispense for myself one 500mg pill of B12 and one horse pill of a daily vitamin (either because my gdoc said to or because I was born in the Chinese Year of the Horse, I don't recall which and does it really matter at this point), three count 'em three capsules of yum-yum Effexor XR, one pill of Topamax, one pill of Adderall that I then break in half so I don't start grinding my own teeth to sand and put the other half back in the bottle for tomorrow and oh did I mention that last week I accidentally took four times my usual half-pill and I didn't even feel it, and my daily pill of Zirtec so the whole bloody planet doesn't climb into my sinuses and blow my head off, plus whatever antibiotic capsule I'm liable to be taking at the moment because my immune system is knackered. I get out my HIV pill and put it in my pocket in case I have to stay late at work. Then I take all the rest in one jolly fistful, put them all in my mouth, and swallow them down at once with a swig of whatever. Now that I think of it, I usually follow it by saying, "Bleh." Force of habit.

Should I perchance miss this routine for two days straight, on the third day, without fail,  brain zaps will begin, and if there were to be a fourth day, nausea that nothing will shake sets in until I restore my Effexor balance.

Getting out of bed in the morning has become a daily battle. This morning, I said to the cat lying with me in the bed, "Once more into the breach, dear friend..." She gave me a look that said, "Have fun storming the castle," curled up and went back to sleep.

• Like 1