CrazyBoards.org

GettingUpThere

Hi Brand New, Need Stim Opinions

Posted (edited)

Hi, so 15 years ago I was on Dexedrine for several years and it helped me SO much. Well, ended up going off of it a few years ago, cannot remember why, but now that I needed a stimulant again, they’re telling me aderal (sp) is all they prescribe. Or at LEAST they don’t prescribe dex anymore. They say it isn’t made anymore? But I’ve read some here do take it unless those were old posts...Anyway! The adereral makes me irritable and works some but not great like the other did. 

Im trying to find suggestions of another I could try that won’t give the irritability and something extended release that won’t keep me up all night! 

Ritalin made me fly through the damned roof. 

I have bipolar 1 and chronic lethargy, and probable ADD. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Edit: I’m sorry I cannot figure out how to put all my stats in as a tag line! Really AM getting old, or just too freaking depressed. 

Edited by GettingUpThere

I can help with the signature piece, though not the drugs.  If you look at the top right corner where your username is and click on it, it'll have a drop down menu and one of the options is account settings.  Once you click on that, on the left side of the screen will be an option called signature.  You can click on there and then type in whatever you'd like with whatever formatting you'd like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I can help with the signature piece, though not the drugs.  If you look at the top right corner where your username is and click on it, it'll have a drop down menu and one of the options is account settings.  Once you click on that, on the left side of the screen will be an option called signature.  You can click on there and then type in whatever you'd like with whatever formatting you'd like. 

Thanks 🙏

You could go for Vyvanse. It's lisdexamfetamine. When absorbed, the "lis" part cleaves off and it becomes regular dexamphetamine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Persona_Is_Life said:

You could go for Vyvanse. It's lisdexamfetamine. When absorbed, the "lis" part cleaves off and it becomes regular dexamphetamine. 

Thanks! Do you know what the dose of vyvanse would be if I’m on 15 IR Adderall?

30-ish? The conversion math is a bit tricky and there is of course individual differences but the guidelines (according to medscape) suggest starting at 30 when "switching therapy"

• Like 1

Just now, Iceberg said:

30-ish? The conversion math is a bit tricky and there is of course individual differences but the guidelines (according to medscape) suggest starting at 30 when "switching therapy"

Thank you 🙏 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:45 PM, mmaryland said:

It seems as if things are continuing to go, well, pretty good. I guess Im not used to the stability I am experiencing since being on Vraylar 3mg. Im completely off Lamictal for a week now and down to 0.5mg Xanax starting today. 

This drug amazes me how well it works, my therapist has been beside herself the past month because of how normal and stable, prodictive and busy I have been. To see how honestly and suprisingly impressed she is with my improvements and how well I am doing since being on this drug tells me that Vraylar is doing a damn great job at not only managing my symptoms, but INCREASING my functionality or level of functioning. I havent felt normal like this since early high school and Im currentlly a senior in college. Its hard for me to believe how well things are going, how stable my mood has been, how productive and effective Ive been, and the energy I have to go out and accomplish things with joy and happiness regularly. I am at a lost for words with Vraylar, I cant express how much it is turning my life around. 

What dose and when do you take it?

On 4/18/2018 at 8:51 AM, dancesintherain said:

Thanks 🙏 

I did manage to find the signature box, and typed all meds in there but it’s still not showing when I post. 😐 

I feel so stupid lately. Gotta love AP’s. 

Testing to see if signature shows up. Jesus fee

old!

I went to signature page, typed it all in, clicked save, still nothing on posts. Grr, sigh. 

Posted (edited)

There is another brand dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) only product now on the market, Zenzedi. Or you can just do generic dextroamphetamine, there are 5, 10, 15, 20 mg here but a generic 30 mg does not exist. Zenzedi has a 30 mg pill. There is also a generic Dexedrine Spansule product. 

I prefer dextroamphetamine alone to Adderall or other mixed isomer products. I get higher heart rate and blood pressure readings on Adderall and I feel more wired than with just dextroamphetamine. I'm on Adderall generic due to insurance refusing to continue to pay for Zenzedi.

You may have more luck asking for a brand product, so Vyvanse or Zenzedi. I have taken both and they are equivalent. Vyvanse takes an hour to begin to start working, however. The conversion rate my doc uses is 35% of Vyvanse becomes dextroamphetamine. 

Edited by notloki
added a period.

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Are u on ur phone? It doesn't always show on a phone

My iPad! Can you see it then?

I was on 30mg Adderall XR with a 10mg "booster" in the evening. I started at 30mg (as someone else pointed out, a usual starting point). but settled on 50mg. It works great. 

On 5/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, notloki said:

Zenzedi has a 30 mg pill.

Zenzedi also makes the only 2.5 mg, 7.5 mg, 15 mg, and 20 mg IR tablets so you don't have to split or take a million of the 5 mg or 10 mg Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) tablets, which I think is pretty neat. The only thing is insurance companies probably won't want to pay for it... @notloki mentioned his insurance stopped paying for it. My insurance, about a year or two ago, wouldn't pay for the whole cost of it, then they stopped paying for it altogether this year. Thanks BCBS... I guess generic Dexedrine is fine by me so long as they continue to pay for it though (unless I get a crappy generic brand).

@mikl_pls zenzedi also comes in 30mg tablets. not too many psychiatrists know about this new form of dextroamphetamine. there's also a newer medication called evekeo (amphetamine) but don't know if your psychiatrist would know about that either. there's honestly so many options to choose from and two main classes: the methylphenidates and the amphetamines. have you ever responded well to ritalin, concerta, or focalin?

i have bp 1 also and vyvanse was hell for me. it gave me extreme irritability and hostility, more so than adderall. it took me 3 years to finally get prescribed dexedrine so i feel your frustration. but once prescribed it, i was able to get increased to 2 xr capsules three times daily (so 90mg a day). for me, even the xr spansules dont last that long, but for others it lasts 2-3x the time it lasts for me. 

suggestion: perhaps a low dose of vyvanse, 30 or 40mg, for the long lasting properties and a small 5mg dose of dexedrine twice daily, if you can magically convince them to give you dex. 

something very new is called Mydayis and it's supposed to last 16 hours, but that might be toooo long and prevent you from sleeping. are you opposed to taking instant release medication? sometimes the extended release mechanisms are responsible for the insomnia, and going on instant release can provide you more control over your dosing.

if you don't want to be on a stimulant again, give straterra a try. i blew it off the first time around and was non compliant, but this time around i'm feeling like it's really pulling my adhd symptoms together and helping me be more functional on a day to day basis with tasks and organization, plus not forgetting things as much. but of course i'm using dexedrine spansules alongside the Strattera. look into evekeo, because unlike adderall, i believe it is just purely amphetamine, and not a mixture of 4 different amphetamine salts.  

2 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

@mikl_pls zenzedi also comes in 30mg tablets. not too many psychiatrists know about this new form of dextroamphetamine. there's also a newer medication called evekeo (amphetamine) but don't know if your psychiatrist would know about that either. there's honestly so many options to choose from and two main classes: the methylphenidates and the amphetamines. have you ever responded well to ritalin, concerta, or focalin?

i have bp 1 also and vyvanse was hell for me. it gave me extreme irritability and hostility, more so than adderall. it took me 3 years to finally get prescribed dexedrine so i feel your frustration. but once prescribed it, i was able to get increased to 2 xr capsules three times daily (so 90mg a day). for me, even the xr spansules dont last that long, but for others it lasts 2-3x the time it lasts for me. 

suggestion: perhaps a low dose of vyvanse, 30 or 40mg, for the long lasting properties and a small 5mg dose of dexedrine twice daily, if you can magically convince them to give you dex. 

something very new is called Mydayis and it's supposed to last 16 hours, but that might be toooo long and prevent you from sleeping. are you opposed to taking instant release medication? sometimes the extended release mechanisms are responsible for the insomnia, and going on instant release can provide you more control over your dosing.

if you don't want to be on a stimulant again, give straterra a try. i blew it off the first time around and was non compliant, but this time around i'm feeling like it's really pulling my adhd symptoms together and helping me be more functional on a day to day basis with tasks and organization, plus not forgetting things as much. but of course i'm using dexedrine spansules alongside the Strattera. look into evekeo, because unlike adderall, i believe it is just purely amphetamine, and not a mixture of 4 different amphetamine salts.  

Wow! So much excellent information! Thank you! I’m actually on the IR Adderall. It’s just making me irritable and not working as well as at first. Some yes, but not at all the same. She already is uncomfortable with me on 3 controlled meds-Adderall, Xanax, lunesta-that if I brought up Dexedrine again, I’m afraid she may get angry. 😮 

she is very, very sweet though, and she actually has schizo-affective disorder herself! (I’m BP1) so she relates to my frustrations very well. 

I’m afraid to take any ER meds, as my insomnia is fairly constant as is. I’m thinking I’ll definitely ask to try that newer one that is dex though. 

Im just now getting stable from a mixed episode, thank goodness for Vraylar! So I’ll probably play it safe and wait for 2-3 months before bringing up the new one. 😝 

Thanks so so much for such a thoughtful, helpful response!

Have a great weekend!

On 5/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, Persona_Is_Life said:

I was on 30mg Adderall XR with a 10mg "booster" in the evening. I started at 30mg (as someone else pointed out, a usual starting point). but settled on 50mg. It works great. 

Thanks for the feedback! Have a great night!

Posted (edited)

@notloki What's that converted to adderall? It seems like it be a lot 

Edited by Iceberg

70 mg Vyvanse becomes 24.5 mg d-amphetamine. Adderall is a mix of d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine so it is hard to convert as it is not apples to apples. Approximately the same in Adderall.

90mg Dexedrine Spansules is A LOT converted to adderall. So I've seen some stim conversion/equal dosage table that 15mg Dexedrine Spansules are equal to Adderall 20mg XR, so using this conversion we would come up with Adderall XR 120mg as the equivalent dose, which to me sounds like a dose of Adderall no psychiatrist would prescribe to their patients daily (I mean it is four 30mg XR capsules at once..). 

Using another source (https://simpleandpractical.com/converting-stimulants-equivalent-doses/), it states that 15mg Dexedrine Spansules is equal to 50mg Vyvanse. So take that and multiply by 6 (since to take 90mg of Dexedrine Spansules you have to take 6 capsules) and you will come up with 300mg of Vyvanse!! Now I think that's crazy high dosage of Vyvanse that no psychiatrist would prescribe ever, I mean it is practically more than 4x the FDA maximum dose. For Dexedrine Spansules, the FDA says in rare cases should the dosage for ADHD be above 40mg daily, and 60mg daily for narcolepsy. 

Any way you put it, 90mg Dexedrine Spansules is a hefty dose, but I feel like if you took the equivalent in Adderall XR and especially Vyvanse it would be way to much, overwhelming, causing your heart rate to go crazy and have lots of nasty side effects plus a terrible comedown. On one occasion I took 210mg Vyvanse and I was so agitated, irritated, hostile, aggressive, snappy, and the focus/concentration wasn't even there. My adhd symptoms were being controlled maybe 40% on 210mg Vyvanse, plus the comedown was dreadful so dreadful and I couldn't fall asleep for almost 2 days. I don't know why Dexedrine, at an equivalent dose, doesn't have the same negative effects, but I'm sure as hell happy about it because it allows me to take stimulants without suffering from anxiety, irritability, insomnia, and enables me to rise above my ADHD symptoms and really feel in control of what I need to do, when I am going to do things, keeping items/papers organized, and focusing on the right things for longer periods of time.

32 minutes ago, notloki said:

70 mg Vyvanse becomes 24.5 mg d-amphetamine. Adderall is a mix of d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine so it is hard to convert as it is not apples to apples. Approximately the same in Adderall.

So 24.5*4 = roughly 100mg. Multiplying 70mg*4 gives us 280mg of Vyvanse, but since we used a multiple of 4 because it made calculations simpler, the equivalent of 90mg Dexedrine Spansules would probably be between 255mg-265mg, based on your conversion information of 70mg-->24.5mg (btw where did you find this, just curious)

The source I saw (i think by Utah college of adolescent and child psych) had 7.5 of the spansules equal to 25 vyvanse. So basically 1mg=3.3 mgs so 90mg=300ish mg 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

The source I saw (i think by Utah college of adolescent and child psych) had 7.5 of the spansules equal to 25 vyvanse. So basically 1mg=3.3 mgs so 90mg=300ish mg 

Yes that's what I saw too on a different site, except 15mg=50mg vyvanse, which is the same thing you found except they used 7.5mg of dexedrine and 25mg of vyvanse. I'm still baffled that my daily dosage of Dexedrine is about equal to 300mg Vyvanse. I think I would feel like death on 300mg Vyvanse daily...