CrazyBoards.org

hello I keep reposting the same stuff but i know two people who suffer from ptsd and i want help

these poeple have had these things happen to them (not both have had them)

sexual abuse

physical abuse

mental abuse 

private information handed out

rumours

been with the wrong people

etc

please help me out

Please refer to my response on your other post, which explains why we cannot assist.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Dewey
      I didn't realize this until I was reading another post, but here it is again, the first day of Fall in the US in two days.  Already leaves are turning colors, falling, and the light outside is changing. Usually every change in season, I have one or two manic episodes. Last night had what I believe was my first manic episode in a long time.  But last evening was scarier, all the typical symptoms of mania along with visual disturbances and sensations I had never experienced before.  Left a vmail message on my psych docs line this morning thinking this is the smart thing to do, it usually takes alot for me to bother him in between sessions, but he does encourage this, fortunately. I left him the data and left it up to him if he feels he needs to call me back next week.  I see him in two weeks.
      So, I remember my psych doc telling me once in a mood change, one can take a little extra medicine to help.  I only take Seroquel as needed, so took 1/2 of a 25 mg of Seroquel and nothing happened.  Thirty minutes took the next 1/2 of the 25 mg and finally sleep arrived.  I slept 14 hours straight and when I woke up, I woke up to a totally different person.  That scary weird out of control mood was no longer there (thought I was going to have to call 911 for help), the cycling was almost gone and slowly drifted away throughout the day. 
      I am 67 and finding that my brain is functioning differently lately.  It's beginning to scare me, of course the aging process is very scary.  I have addressed this with my psych doc many times, even my neurologist and they do not seem concerned. I had an MRI and all was normal there for someone my age. These are all new symptoms to me, or maybe the same but more dramatic, I think. 
      I have had more than my share of significant triggers last 9 months.  I tried therapy last two weeks and actually ran out of the therapists room last week due to a panic attack. I warned her not to push. I even had it all written out for her to read, but oh no, she wanted me to verbalize it and then she swung into asking me about bodily feelings, that was when I ran out of her room in a blind panic.  She wanted me to reveal too much stuff too fast and I kept warning her. Will not go back to her.  So, now I have to get up the courage to seek out someone else.  My psych doc will not refer me to anyone, as is his way, which makes it harder on me.  
      Okay, will close for now. 
    • By Dewey
      Last night was scary for me.  I felt a mood suddenly ink in and I think I may have been hallucinating or dissociating due to the anxiety I was experiencing.  I actually saw out of the corner of my right eye a face that was letting out all the angst I was feeling.  It was a tortured hideous expression, and as soon as it appeared, it disappeared and I could feel all those churning emotions inking back into me.  Soo weird !!!  Was this dissociation, am I now BiPolar, what in the heck happened to me?  Never had this, this intense before.  I was afraid of........ me.
      I could tell something seriously was wrong, so what do I do? I go straight to the computer and go to my favorite site to order things I have never been able to afford before as that is one technique to self soothe, only I went overboard.  Yes, I extended my line of credit one late night and now I am buying things that I don't even remember, even two or three of the same item.  I am now busy returning most of them.  However, there are items I have wanted for sooo long that I am now buying, I won't even go into the items I am sending back, way to embarrassing, lol. 
      What scared me the most was the enormous scary mood swing, out of the blue, the mood was bigger than life to me.  I could hear my psych doc telling me what to do as going thru a mood swing like this your body can tolerate extra medication, so I took 1/2 of a 25 mg Seroquel and it did nothing to stop the mood, so 1/2 hour later, I took another half of the 25 mg and it worked, within 30 minutes I was out and I slept 14 hours, woke up in a completely different mood, a completely different person.  I had to say to myself this morning when I woke up, who was that person last night, I didn't even recognize myself and what I went thru.  What a difference a good nights sleep does and strong medicine to help me get to and stay asleep.   Wondering now if I am BiPolar because I heard that only a solid 12 hours of sleep will break cycling and I was definitely cycling last night. 
      I have been coming down from Zyprexa due to extreme vertigo, so wondering if this may have been part of what happened to me.  I also have reduced the Klonopin due to issues with my HMO and have had to stock-pile them, which leaves me wide open for more anxiety.  Lately, my mood and anxiety/panic have rendered me housebound and even sometimes too fearful to get out of my bed. 
      Well, thanks for reading this.  I don't know if anyone can shed any light on this to help me. 

• By Dewey
      I am going to copy this out and hand over to my new trauma therapist, will circle which applies to me.  I met with her last week and she educated me with certain diagnoses I was given that now fall under the new PTSD criteria.  I also am keeping a daily log of my symptoms and triggers. 
      CAUTION:  May trigger

Full copyrighted criteria are available from the American Psychiatric Association (1). All of the criteria are required for the diagnosis of PTSD. The following text summarizes the diagnostic criteria:
      Criterion A (one required): The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, in the following way(s):
      Direct exposure
      Witnessing the trauma
      Learning that a relative or close friend was exposed to a trauma
      Indirect exposure to aversive details of the trauma, usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, medics)
      Criterion B (one required): The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced, in the following way(s):
      Unwanted upsetting memories
      Nightmares
      Flashbacks
      Emotional distress after exposure to traumatic reminders
      Physical reactivity after exposure to traumatic reminders
      Criterion C (one required): Avoidance of trauma-related stimuli after the trauma, in the following way(s):
      Trauma-related thoughts or feelings
      Trauma-related reminders
      Criterion D (two required): Negative thoughts or feelings that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):
      Inability to recall key features of the trauma
      Overly negative thoughts and assumptions about oneself or the world
      Exaggerated blame of self or others for causing the trauma
      Negative affect
      Decreased interest in activities
      Feeling isolated
      Difficulty experiencing positive affect
      Criterion E (two required): Trauma-related arousal and reactivity that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):
      Irritability or aggression
      Risky or destructive behavior
      Hypervigilance
      Heightened startle reaction
      Difficulty concentrating
      Difficulty sleeping
      Criterion F (required): Symptoms last for more than 1 month.
      Criterion G (required): Symptoms create distress or functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational).
      Criterion H (required): Symptoms are not due to medication, substance use, or other illness.
      Two specifications:
      Dissociative Specification. In addition to meeting criteria for diagnosis, an individual experiences high levels of either of the following in reaction to trauma-related stimuli:
      Depersonalization. Experience of being an outside observer of or detached from oneself (e.g., feeling as if "this is not happening to me" or one were in a dream).
      Derealization. Experience of unreality, distance, or distortion (e.g., "things are not real").
      Delayed Specification. Full diagnostic criteria are not met until at least six months after the trauma(s), although onset of symptoms may occur immediately.
      Note: DSM-5 introduced a preschool subtype of PTSD for children ages six years and younger.

• By Angeni Mai
      I'm mostly looking for advice at this moment on how to foster and encourage my significant other's (soon to be married) interests. She seems to want to share a lot of things with me, such as things about other people and all; however, when it comes to her interests, she tells me about them but doesn't include me in them. I know she tries but she also gives up if she even perceives that I'm not interested. Often times it isn't a lack of interest but rather that I may be having a bad day or an having difficulties with things and processing. (I have Cerebral Palsy and multiple mental health diagnoses) 

I don't mean to make her feel like I have no interest or I don't want to get along, but is it not ok to indulge in my own thing/ have some alone time? A lot of things I do bother her sensory issues (singing opera, playing jokes, touch randomly without remembering her boundaries because my memory is shit). I want to better our relationship by sharing some in each other's interests but I also still have that need to do my own thing when it is something I know she can't handle. She's also pregnant which makes her sensory issues twice as bad, which has lead to some hard feelings, especially when I would like to sing (as I have a generally loud singing voice as I've sung opera for the past 8 years. 

She also has a developmental delay that causes her to need to speak things aloud and get that feedback on social situations and some other things to process them, in which she is quite long-winded most of the time. That has also lead to more hard feelings as it leads to limited time to indulge in anything else but talking from the time we are up until the time she goes to bed. Any other time that's left during the day, she usually insists that we spend it together because she wants to be close but she has also said that if we don't have that closeness each and every day, multiple times a day even (most days) then she and I will be too distant and she won't be able to open back up to me because I'll be a stranger (she has had issues with selective mutism when she was a child is the only thing I could assume she means by she will stop opening up). It may just be a matter of her mental health and I just misunderstood what she meant, however, is it wrong of me to feel like she is somewhat playing mind games/ manipulating me/ twisting my arm for me to pay all of my attention to her?

She is currently visiting from Canada and I live 422 miles away from her home. She has said that things will be different when we go back to Canada in 5 days, but I don't know whether or not I can trust this as I have seen different happen when she's back home and we just talk over video call. She says she doesn't really lie, and I know that, but is it bad of me to feel like she just doesn't really know herself all that well in what she really and needs from a person, especially when she's never really been in a long term relationship before us getting together? I'm really trying to let go of the past but this is just a lot to handle. 

Does anybody have any advice on how to cope with these situations? Is it too much for me to continue to wish for and sometimes expect her to understand my needs? Is it too much for me to want to be left alone sometimes (as it helps me to cope with life and process my own emotions)?

I really don't want her or our relationship to suffer because I'm not giving her what she needs. 

Thanks for any responses. They are much appreciated.

P.S. ~ Are there any books you would recommend somebody in a relationship with somebody who has ASD reads to have a better understanding of what it is like to have autism or books on how to cope with the differences in their partner? 

P.P.S. ~ I know she's not a manipulative person and she wouldn't mindfully force me to do what I don't wish to,  it's just I feel backed into a corner most days and I lash out emotionally in anger and start to yell when she's annoying me, most often times at the expense of being called mean when I say something she doesn't view as true and, at the best of times, neither do I. I guess it's just hard when both parties have mental health issues that result in a lot of emotions (and a TON of anger) and developmental issues, and social skills deficits on her end. I love her to death though and just want to make things easier on the both of us, more so on her though.