CrazyBoards.org

So my OCD is out of control. My intrusive thoughts have gotten better with the Riserpdal however my obsessive thinking has taken a turn for the worst. My anxiety is sky high and not well managed. 

I thought maybe what could be a solution is to add .25mg of Risperdal in the morning. Does that sound reasonable? Do you think that would possibly help? I know the risperdal helps with my intrusive thoughts so I don't necessarily want to switch.

I have tried anafranil but that pooped out on me and insurance stopped covering it. I am hoping I can just mess with my Risperdal dose until symptoms are managed...

thoughts?

sorry you're struggling with this. i can relate to having problems with obsessive thinking.

is 1 mg how much you're on now? if so, i think you can definitely move up on it. i took it for sz and i took at least 10mg a day at points. i take abilify for my OCD intrusive thoughts, but i've taken risperdal for them and i found relief somewhere around four...but i hate the number four.

BUT: are you thinking your anxiety is increased as a side effect, though? that would be a reason to be cautious. i've not personally had it increase my anxiety, but i can kinda see how it could. anyway, i think you should just check in with your psychiatrist if you think overall it's helping, just not enough at your current dosage.   x

1 hour ago, mellifluous said:

sorry you're struggling with this. i can relate to having problems with obsessive thinking.

is 1 mg how much you're on now? if so, i think you can definitely move up on it. i took it for sz and i took at least 10mg a day at points. i take abilify for my OCD intrusive thoughts, but i've taken risperdal for them and i found relief somewhere around four...but i hate the number four.

BUT: are you thinking your anxiety is increased as a side effect, though? that would be a reason to be cautious. i've not personally had it increase my anxiety, but i can kinda see how it could. anyway, i think you should just check in with your psychiatrist if you think overall it's helping, just not enough at your current dosage.   x

Thank you so much for commenting. Yes, I am on only 1mg of Risperdal, reason being my pdoc has me on a good sized dose AAP (Clozaril, 500mg) so she is reluctant to go high on another medication. 

I hope the risperdal isn't causing the worsening anxiety, I don't think it is because it helps calm me down. 

I think I could try a small increase, like 0.25 in the morning. She may be willing to go higher than that but I am not sure.

I'm moving up on clozaril myself and taking 10mg ability, which I think is moderately sized. I mean this in a good way but it's nice to know I'm not alone in not having clozaril address my OCD issues. Not that it was ever billed as going to address them, but they're all atypicals, so you'd hope it might. 

I think a small increase is definitely worth asking for if you find it calming : )

Posted (edited)

Just to add my personal experience, I am on 2mg Risperdal for my anxiety and OCD, and it's not really working for me at all.

I have a new pdoc now, and I'm going to ask him at next appointment ,if he thinks an increased dose of Risperdal might help....However my situation is somewhat different than yours, because Risperdal is the only anti-psychotic I take.

I am very treatment-resistant, and you might have better luck with an increase.........I would suggest just asking your doc about it and see what she thinks.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thank you, Crazyredhead.

I saw my pdoc and we decided to give Luvox a go. I need this to work. I came to the realization that Risperdal was making me worse. It was great in the beginning until I started feeling obsessive, and absolute dread. She's starting me on 50mg. 

Fingers crossed!

Any experience with Luvox would be appreciated!

• Like 1

good luck with the luvox! no experience with it personally, but i hope it works well for you xx

2 minutes ago, mellifluous said:

good luck with the luvox! no experience with it personally, but i hope it works well for you xx

Thanks, Melli!

<3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Butterflykisses said:

Any experience with Luvox would be appreciated!

I tried Luvox a couple of years ago for OCD, and went up to a fairly high dose of 250-300mg....Even after about 6 months on it, I didn't see any improvement.

That being said, I also tried Anafranil, a TCA, which is supposedly the "gold standard" for treatment of OCD, and that didn't work for me, either.

I truly hope the Luvox works out for you, though.........:).....Wishing you the best.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Luvox has made my anxiety one million times WORSE! My anxiety is SO bad all the time, 24/7.

I got a cancellation appt today. I don't know what other options I have, any input?

have you tried abilify with zoloft? low dose zoloft and medium abilify...i'm on,i think 50 zoloft and 10 abilify.

I can't take either of those because of Akathisia. 

I am going to ask about Zyprexa because I took it in the past with pretty good results I think. its been awhile so I would like to give it another try. I am going to try to stay away from AD's and stick with AAPs for OCD.

Have you tried Zyprexa and did it help?

Saw pdoc, 

She prescribe the Zyprexa. I told her I wanted the lowest dose possible, so she put me on 2.5. My main AAP is Clozaril, I need the tiny dose of Zyprexa for OCD/anxiety