CrazyBoards.org

Ethansmom

Does anyone take a benzo everyday to get through the day?

I'm so worried about this. I take Klonopin every day. Its the only thing that helps. I go to therapy and am worried i will never get better. I'm scared of what might happen if i do not take my klonopin. Does anyone have good stories? Right now i am on a starting dose of trintellix. It's like i wake up anxious and can't stop the cycle so i take klonopin. I have a family to take care of  and  i need to get better. Can anyone help?

Hi there

I've moved your post to the benzos forum so that you can receive more targeted responses.

Mia  (mod)

Can I ask what you take? Does it alleviate all of the anxiety? I’m so fearful of being addicted. Its the only thing to help and I know I have to just take one day at a time. Have you tried anything else for your anxiety? Medwise?

I take Ativan daily (0.5 mg morning and evening).  I’ve taken klonopin previously but was getting too tired from it.  I’ve just found that I need something on top of the regular medications.  It may not be a permanent thing, but it has been for a decent period of time barring hospitalizations (for some reason it is always what they stop).

I’ve never tried Ativan but may switch back to Xanax since klonopin makes me tired and gives me that flat feeling 

Posted (edited)

I've been taking Klonopin (2mg) every single day for almost 5 years....My doc thought it would be best for me since it's longer acting than Xanax or Ativan.

Have you told your pdoc how you're feeling on the Klonopin?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I have since about 2015, most of the time it being Xanax between 1mg and 3mg a day. Now I am reducing the Xanax but still take Valium mostly every day, or at least some Xanax. I think if you can control yourself to use them only therapeutically and honestly, benzos are wonderfully effective medications. The give me a sense of calm and relaxation from stress and anxiety that nothing else can really replicate. 

But if you do take a benzo daily, you should just accept that you will be dependent, physically, on that medication and rapid withdrawal is seriously dangerous. I understand and accept this, and I am willing to accept the trade off of because that is how much benzos help me in so many way besides relaxation. Xanax helps me focus better, I'm more clear minded, get things done that I had been stressed about, you would think I was on a stimulant. 

Yes I agree. I just need to accept it. It seems like so many people are on benzos for anxiety and panic disorder.  I am also trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and loose weight. I have put on so much weight from trying out different meds. I’m not in weight watchers . That part stinks!

I’ve been taking Klonopin on and off (but mostly on) for probably 10 years from anywhere from 1.5 mg to 3 mg. I very first started off at 2 mg then went to 3 mg then later had it reduced to 1.5 mg for many years then recently had it increased back up to 3 mg. 

Like @dancesintherain they take away my benzo Klonopin in the hospital too. It’s always the first med they take away. There seem to be many anti benzo Pdocs in hospitals near me. That’s one of MANY reasons why I don’t go to hospitals anymore unless I’m forced. 

Anyway I don’t function without my daily Klonopin. I become a recluse. I can’t leave the house and have intense daily panic attacks that last for a very long time and are worse than normal. I can’t drive to known places. I can’t talk to people. I can’t leave the bedroom hardly. I become an anxious worry ball that’s scared of everything. I cry at the drop of a hat. Noises bother me. I can’t use the phone at all. I just don’t function. 

Hi wonderful cheese . Thank you for sharing. I’m exactly the same! A total recluse who’s scared to do anything . It all started after a serious of traumatic events and now I can’t just switch it off. I visit another board often and people are so mean there. They shame me for use benzos. I am using them under the guidance of a psychiatrist . She knows I need them right now and feel better when I have them. I really appreciate all the responses I have gotten!

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I've been taking Klonopin (2mg) every single day for almost 5 years....My doc thought it would be best for me since it's longer acting than Xanax or Ativan.

Have you told your pdoc how you're feeling on the Klonopin?

I have .she said I can switch back to Xanax anytime and I do have a prescription. She said I can take whatever works best for me. Do you ever take a Xanax for break through anxiety? 

I do. When my anxiety is bad, or irritability secondary to a manic episode I take Xanax Xr q am and Xanax ir PRN 

11 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

Do you ever take a Xanax for break through anxiety? 

No.....My doc has certain opinions about benzos, and won't prescribe more than one for me.

I guess all pdocs have their own personal beliefs about benzos.......I have heard of some docs that don't prescribe them at all, and I think that's unfortunate, because IMO, some people really benefit from them.

Personally I think there's a huge difference between short term and long term prescribing. I definetly can see why doc's would be nervous about a daily ongoing benzo (even tho it does help some) but to me giving a few pills to get you through the tough times is not super high risk...I kno addiction is a very serious thing...but there schedule 4 not schedule 2. I'm sure doc's have their reasons...but I'm with you that it doesn't make sense to totally disregard a whole class of potentially helpful meds

I wonder if I’ll ever be able to get off them? I am starting to incorporate exercise and diet changes into my life. I’m hoping that will help. I don’t want to stress myself out with that pressure just yet. I need to try to make lifestyle changes for now.

That's a good plan. It goes with the  whole one change at a time thing. You can't worry about the klon until  the trintellix gets stable otherwise it might skew the results of the trintellix trial

I take 1mg Klonopin every morning and one at bedtime if needed.  It keeps me from being overstimulated, especially in noisy environments or crowded places.  There have been times I forgot to take it in the morning and ended up having serious panic attacks.

I take at least some valium or xanax, somehow im always so stressed and very tense

I have been seeing my pdoc over a decade and I have been on one benzo or the other, sometimes as needed and sometimes continuously, the whole time. Even after being on a benzo every day for a year I don't have any problems reducing or stopping them. 

thank you all for responding!  I'm going to up the trintellix tomorrow to see if it helps! Wish me luck. I do have my klonopin to help so hopefully the two will knock out some of this panic and anxiety.

28 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

thank you all for responding!  I'm going to up the trintellix tomorrow to see if it helps! Wish me luck. I do have my klonopin to help so hopefully the two will knock out some of this panic and anxiety.

How is the Trintellix working for far for anxiety? and do you find this medication is somewhat activating or pro-social? 

It’s not activating and isn’t doing much right now. I feel super lazy on it actually :(  the depression is still there and I’m having upper back muscle aches which I think is from anxiety

So today will be day 4 of upping my Trintellix to 5MG.  Usually this is when i get extreme anxiety. I keep waking up feeling like i'm vibrating. I'm worried this is withdrawl from last klonopin dose. I took my second dose of klonopin at 3pm yesterday and didn't take another one until 7 AM this morning. Would i be waking up vibrating? This seems to be common with anxiety from what i've read.  I just REALLY wish i didn't have to depend on these pills.

Does anyone know if Klonopin or benzos in general can cause liver damage?? That part scares me---- clearing i'm even anxious about taking Benzos, which has been for over a year straight now.  Does anyone taking Clominiprine or effexor? I may try one of those meds next to see if they help.

How would i even taper off of 2MG of klonopin without having major panic attacks?!!  I know i am overthinking all of this and making my anxiety worse.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

Does anyone know if Klonopin or benzos in general can cause liver damage?? 

According to this article, liver damage rarely happens with benzos:

https://livertox.nlm.nih.gov/BenzodiazepineDrugs.htm

Quote from article: ........"clinically apparent liver injury from the benzodiazepines is quite rare."  

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Meds that have the potential to be hard on the liver are identified in the PI. People should be getting liver function tests yearly, it is routine care. More frequent if you take meds. This is a blood test. I take 14 or so meds and have not hit one that has changed my liver function test from normal.