CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to let people know that there is a DNA test your PDOC can give you called GeneSight by Assurex Health. 

I took it at my last appointment and received the results today.  All it is, is a mouth swab with two long cue-tips that are mailed in and tested.

Very excited to see if it works out.  It was covered by my insurance, not sure who else covers it.

https://genesight.com/

It basically will tell you which medications should work best, which might not work so good, and which one's to not take. 

There is a sample report for you to view if you go to this link: https://genesight.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Sample_Report_Psychotropic_3.0.0.2.pdf

It also tests for pain medications (opiods / non-opiods), and it will tell you if you if you have a mutation that affects folic acid conversion.

The drugs it test for are as follows (they may test for other drugs than I listed, but this was what was in my report based on my dx's)

• Antidepressants (I was on lexapro but it isn't good for me, so I just switched to Viibryd, doing a cross taper for a week)
  • Anxiolytics and Hypnotics
  • Antipsychotics
  • Mood Stabilizers
  • Opiods / Non-Opiods
  • Stimulants
  • MTHFR (Folic Acid Conversion)

Anyway, just wanted to post this if anyone is interested.

Edited by gb84

Genetic testing tells you how you metabolize a med, based on hard science. That is all.  The rest is theoretical. 

21 hours ago, notloki said:

Genetic testing tells you how you metabolize a med, based on hard science. That is all.  The rest is theoretical. 

I know it's not perfect, but it seems like a step in the right direction.  Just trying to give people some hope, I think we all need that.

22 hours ago, gb84 said:

I know it's not perfect, but it seems like a step in the right direction.  Just trying to give people some hope, I think we all need that.

Instead of lying and giving incorrect information I prefer the truth.

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Instead of lying and giving incorrect information I prefer the truth.

What did I lie about?  I took a test and posted information about the test.  

Look, I already told you that. But here goes. These genetic tests predict metabolism. THat's all they do. They don't tell you what meds you should take. They DO tell you if you are a slow or ultra fast metabolizer of the med. If you are a slow metabolizer, normal doses will be too high for you. You get side effects. If you are a fast one then normal doses are too low, normal doses do nothing or little for you. In some cases you can simply take less or more, but this does not apply to all meds. 

Well I guess I am a liar then.  It's OK, I still love you. :D

"False hope" or not it's something to try. At the very least it can give some insight into why some meds have had minimal/no benefit or why some have had such a terrible time with them. Also, Folic Acid metabolism is kinda important. I think this is interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Persona_Is_Life said:

"False hope" or not it's something to try. At the very least it can give some insight into why some meds have had minimal/no benefit or why some have had such a terrible time with them. Also, Folic Acid metabolism is kinda important. I think this is interesting. 

This was my reason for sharing this.  Take it or leave it, it is at least something to try.  I'd rather utilize the test results and see if it works.  If it doesn't, so be it.  But I'd rather try something new than suffer on meds while I wait for another appointment 3 months down the road.

I hope that this test might help someone get better. 

I have the folic acid mutation and the samples of Deplin my Dr. gave me have really been effective so far.  I also feel better now that I am taking Viibryd.  I haven't been this active in a long time.  I've actually been taking care of myself, exercising, eating better.  I also have been looking for a job, had an interview today and another tomorrow.  So maybe if I can get better utilizing this test, somebody else who reads this post can as well. 

Edited by gb84

2 minutes ago, gb84 said:

This was my reason for sharing this.  Take it or leave it, it is at least something to try.  I'd rather utilize the test results and see if it works.  If it doesn't, so be it.  But I'd rather try something new than suffer on meds while I wait for another appointment 3 months down the road.

I hope that this test might help someone get better. 

I have the folic acid mutation and the samples of Deplin my Dr. gave me have really been effective so far.  I also feel better now that I am taking Viibryd.  I haven't been this active in a long time.  I've actually been taking care of myself, exercising, eating better.  I also have been looking for a job, had an interview today and another tomorrow.  So maybe if I can get better utilizing this test, somebody else who reads this post can as well. 

I looked into it. Is Viibryd one of the meds in your "green" category? Yes, let us know if it works for you!

12 minutes ago, Persona_Is_Life said:

I looked into it. Is Viibryd one of the meds in your "green" category? Yes, let us know if it works for you!

Yes, Viibryd was one of three in the "use as directed" category.  I was surprised to see that Lexapro, which I've been on for a long time ended up being in the "significant gene-drug interaction" category.  Which might explain why it really didn't help me at all. 

• Like 1

Honestly, genetic testing is worth it.  I got a 23andMe spit test done a few years ago and loaded it into a tool called Promethease, and it basically gave genetic confirmation for why the majority of SSRI/SNRI drugs I've taken don't fucking work, or if they work, they don't work like they're supposed to.  Having that helped my doctor finally realize that we needed to try a different tactic, and finally gave the information necessary to get the correct diagnosis.  I am not Bipolar II, I am Schizoaffective, and we'd been treating it wrong the whole time.

• Like 1

Yep, these genetic tests only tell you about metabolism. They don't tell you which would work best for your brain chemistry. I think these companies and the doctors who buy into it are overstating the benefits and by doing so are misleading a lot of people. It can be one tool to help understand metabolism of meds, but it shouldn't be taken as the final word.

10 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Yep, these genetic tests only tell you about metabolism. They don't tell you which would work best for your brain chemistry. I think these companies and the doctors who buy into it are overstating the benefits and by doing so are misleading a lot of people. It can be one tool to help understand metabolism of meds, but it shouldn't be taken as the final word.

Better than nothing. I've taken genetics. I know its limits. I will state that from what I know about pharmacology, metabolism plays an important role. It's part of pharmacokinetics, and helps to define drug mechanisms. 

Edit: Of course it wouldn't tell you what works best for brain chemistry. We don't even know how many psych meds work with brain chemistry. "(Insert drug here) is thought to work by..."

Edited by Persona_Is_Life
Add on.

3 minutes ago, Persona_Is_Life said:

Better than nothing. I've taken genetics. I know its limits. I will state that from what I know about pharmacology, metabolism plays an important role. It's part of pharmacokinetics, and helps to define drug mechanisms. 

The misleading part isn't that these tests show the likelihood of drug metabolism. The misleading part is that the companies lead people to believe that these tests will show which med or meds work best on their condition. They show metabolism, not which drug is the best drug.