CrazyBoards.org

gb84

Cross taper from lexapro to Viibryd

I started a cross taper from Lexapro 20mg to Viibryd.  I'm dropping from 20mg of Lexapro to 10mg for one week, then stopping.  While starting Viibryd 10mg for one week then upping to 20mg.

Has anyone experienced any negative effects from stopping Lexapro?  I've been on it for about 5 years. 

Before that I was on Cymbalta and had terrible withdrawal, including the brain zaps for about a month after discontinuing it.

Posted (edited)

Switching from Lexapro to a different SSRI should be much easier in terms of side effects than changing from SNRI to SSRI and “removing” the norepinephrine effect.

I have changed from one SSRI to another without withdrawl symptoms at all.

Stopping Cymbalta (twice) was a whole different story.

Edited by HydroCat

I took Cymbalta and withdrawl was brutal. Lexepro was a piece of cake-- plus you are cross tapering so you will be okay! keep us posted

6 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

I took Cymbalta and withdrawl was brutal. Lexepro was a piece of cake-- plus you are cross tapering so you will be okay! keep us posted

Thank you, so far so good.  Have 2 days left on Lexapro then I switch to 20mg of Viibryd.  Been working well so far, plus I started taking samples of Deplin for folic acid mutation.  It has really improved my mood.

Viibryd is a pretty powerful antidepressant. In retrospect, I wasn't taking a mood stabilizer when I was on it, and it caused me to rapidly cycle. That being said I still felt that it had a good antidepressant effect in between the mood swings. Keep an eye out for gastro side effects like diarrhea or nausea. They're usually dose dependent. My pdoc says that they've kind of drifted from the original dosing schedule which was 10mg for 1 week, 20mg for 1 week, then 40mg. But 40mg may not be necessary for some people.