CrazyBoards.org

mellifluous

what the fuck is wrong with some people who work in mental health?

Posted (edited)

this brief rant is brought to you by things people have endured or reported enduring, the letter p and the number five.

WHY are people so quick to remove people from care when they're clearly unwell? the treatment some friends of mine have received is absolutely abysmal. 

if i missed my weekly appointments, i would get phone calls. i have been discharged from IP when still unwell AMA, but never when suicidal; on the contrary, they hold me against my will. what the fuck? 

i don't believe people are misrepresenting things, so, what the hell? why are mental health professionals so messed up in some cases? it's more frequently than you'd think would be allowable or even just statistically likely having bad apples in a profession, etc. it seems that a lot of people are treated like shit by professionals IN THE FIELD...i mean...what the fuck? who's supposed to know better than to do such things? 

Edited by mellifluous
  • Like 1

I have been pretty lucky, but still. I have been released  when i was still unwell and unable to take care of myself.  I was in a hospital, once, that was like a warehouse. I was obviously hallucinating and was ignored.  They even forgot to give me my meds. No one noticed until the pdoc saw me wandering, trying to find out where the voices were coming from, and had them bring me to her.

there was a case here where a man was complaining of arm pain and was refused a medical dr. When he finally was examined they found his arm was broken when they restrained hin. 

I think people get burnt out and start seeing us as problems they don't want to have to deal with. They lose empathy.

• Like 2

It's totally mysterious and I'm struggling with it as well. They decided that I was too ill for one program, and sent me to another. Except that the way to treat the illness is to let me access care? I can't go to the other program because I already know the content and it bores me to tears. But if I actually get bored to tears they'll see it as my being too sick and then I won't have anything.

• Like 1

Money makes all the difference in mental health care. If you have it your chances of getting good care increase dramatically. Same thing with our legal system. Having money (and I do not mean rich) increases your chance of having the favorable outcome. This applies to the USA.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:13 PM, notloki said:

Money makes all the difference in mental health care. If you have it your chances of getting good care increase dramatically. Same thing with our legal system. Having money (and I do not mean rich) increases your chance of having the favorable outcome. This applies to the USA.

I agree with this, but I also find it very sad that people who have less financial resources often receive inferior health care in the USA.

I believe that everyone should receive equal quality of mental health care, especially in the United States......But unfortunately that is not the case here.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but the U.S. is the only first world, industrialized nation that doesn't have universal health care for all citizens.........:(

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I’ve had some bad experiences and heard some bad remarks. I’ve been told I’m fine when I clearly wasn’t and had their ideas forced on me (false memories) and yelled at when I didn’t agree. So I’ve wondered what’s up, too. Maybe some people need a different line of work?

I’ve been treated like you wouldn’t believe outrageously horribly incredibly stupidly bad.  

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
TMI

I also notice that the personel in hospitals is a nightmare sometimes. Have my European experience and all I can say they also don't treat you nice here. I have very good and nice pdoc I visit regularly, but hospitalisation is a different chapter of my life.

I don't know if they're tried of their everyday job, but they seem not to care at all sometimes.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 12:11 AM, mellifluous said:

this brief rant is brought to you by things people have endured or reported enduring, the letter p and the number five.

WHY are people so quick to remove people from care when they're clearly unwell? the treatment some friends of mine have received is absolutely abysmal. 

if i missed my weekly appointments, i would get phone calls. i have been discharged from IP when still unwell AMA, but never when suicidal; on the contrary, they hold me against my will. what the fuck? 

i don't believe people are misrepresenting things, so, what the hell? why are mental health professionals so messed up in some cases? it's more frequently than you'd think would be allowable or even just statistically likely having bad apples in a profession, etc. it seems that a lot of people are treated like shit by professionals IN THE FIELD...i mean...what the fuck? who's supposed to know better than to do such things? 

I believe with some outpatient treatment centers, they have so much paperwork to complete that actual treatment takes a back burner.

That's been my personal experience.

I had a wonderful hospital experience. The patients were treated well in that hospital. It was a state mental hospital and not a ward in a general hospital so I guess they knew what they were doing. The only problem was that I feel like I was discharged too soon.  It is clear to me that hospitals are just warehouses for people in crises and once the crises are over, they throw you out. True, I was less suicidal when I was discharged, but all the things that led to my suicide attempt were still there and I left the hospital feeling no more hope than when I went in. There just wasn't time to deal with my issues.

As far as pdocs go, I've had my share of bad ones as well as some very good ones and a lot of mediocre ones. Just one was outright insulting though and I wrote about it elsewhere. For the most part, they all tried their best. I just am treatment resistant.