CrazyBoards.org

How am I supposed to feel when I'm labeled crazy or not normal? A confident told me I'm not normal. Naturally at first I felt defiant, nah that ain't me. But when it hits and you start to believe it, loneliness becomes reality. Invisble barriers start to form. A pinge of panic sets in. Obviously you can't share crazy with just anyone, it has to be another self-identified crazy person. And that same person that called you crazy gives you support then takes it away suddenly to see if your marriage will fail because you are crazy and your normal husband cant handle/help you. I dont know where I'm getting with this. I felt hurt. 

Anyone want/need to rant about being labeled insane? What is your story? 

I have been called insane practically about 15 years ago.  This man knew nothing about mental health issues even though I could see he has them, too.  I feel he didn't want to look at himself so pointed the finger at me.  He even told some of my family members what he thought of me having mental health issues and it was cruel.  I'm glad they didn't take him seriously because they know me better and also saw how cruel he was being.  It hurt me, too, so I can feel for you.  No one likes to be treated that way.

• Like 1

Who is this confident? Just ignore him, people are idiots. Leave the "crazy" or "insanity" labeling up to a professional psychiatrist.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Who is this confident? Just ignore him, people are idiots. Leave the "crazy" or "insanity" labeling up to a professional psychiatrist.

Crazy and insanity are lay terms and are not part of the professional lexicon. There is no DSM criteria for crazy or insanity.

• Like 2

sorry - true @jt07 if someone had called her "psychotic" then a professional diagnosis could be made by a pdoc. But exactly, what is "crazy" anyway, such a broad label. The traffic outside was crazy today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

You are exactly right!! I'm trying to avoid contact the best I can. His end game is my pain or even my suicide. He has a certain diagnosed personality disorder (AsPD).

I cling to the idea of being normal because I want to belong, function, be healthy/happy, productive, and most importantly be understood. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jt07 said:

Crazy and insanity are lay terms and are not part of the professional lexicon. There is no DSM criteria for crazy or insanity.

Yes that is true when we get into semantics. And with this issue it is important. You are very specific and principle driven! That's a good quality. 

I havent had a psychotic break yet diagnosed or one that I'm not aware of. I once had a visual and audial hallucination but I think I was drugged. I happened to turn the coke (I was underage at the time) I was sipping around and there was something dissolving on the other side. I scrapped with my straw to check if it was in the inside. God saved me from something worse that day 

Edited by RisingRayne

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Valerie said:

I have been called insane practically about 15 years ago.  This man knew nothing about mental health issues even though I could see he has them, too.  I feel he didn't want to look at himself so pointed the finger at me.  He even told some of my family members what he thought of me having mental health issues and it was cruel.  I'm glad they didn't take him seriously because they know me better and also saw how cruel he was being.  It hurt me, too, so I can feel for you.  No one likes to be treated that way.

In reality, there is no normal. Everyone ranks differently in the spectrum of what is most consistent in the population. Some are a little off here, and little there, but they are fine! They may be a little different, but so what, it makes us unique. Some are more more odd, some more dramatic, some more anxious, and some on the autism spectrum. We all have something different and unique to offer. There is a reason for differences to exist. I just wish the world didnt make "normal" standards so expected, or were more tolerable of people a little different. 

This goes without saying obviously some may need more help than others to function and be mentally healthy. I'm not promoting being unhealthy, just our natural differences and perspectives. 

Edited by RisingRayne
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Juniper29 said:

I've always been the "weird" girl. I guess I'm used to it.

I'm intrigued and challenged by others who are different. Heck, we could have been friends growing up. I was the quiet 'ghost' girl. But lemme tell ya, quiet ones are the ones to watch. I'm not trying to insinuate that I'm deviant or malicious, but I know much more about others than they will ever know. And I see patterns all the time.

I was given an opportunity to take the manager's position after he was fired from complaints I filed about him threatening coworkers and his discrimination against women (very specific and documented in detail). I do not mess around when others are bullied. It brings out the leader in me. And bullies do not see the little quiet sweet girl as a threat. I'm thankful for that common error in judgement.

I also see myself as the one that would jump the fence as the herd casually walked into a slaughter house. Heck I would give em a warning but juicy drama/needing dets on a meaningless hookup would be more important. 

What typical high schoolers talked/cared/gossiped about was never worthy of my attention. It was not that I was better than them, it's just that my unmedicated ADD prevented me from engaging or really being able to listen fully. It wasn't that I couldn't belong or blend in, I just chose to not. I would have lost some respect in myself because of my values.

Thankfully because I was the sweet, innocent very quiet girl, no one really bothered me. 2 boys sexually harassed me (more on the minor side) but I'm not letting those actions be excused by the boys will be boys rhetoric. I consider myself lucky. No girl drama 😊

This has helped remind me to 1. Know thyself 2. Be true to thyself. 

• Like 2

ok, get a load of this:

on my most recent IP stay my first roommate, an alcolic, unsure what other diagnoses if any, came on my second day and after spending the day doing groups and meals and so forth with all of this had the balls to not only request a private room because she was afraid of rooming with someone with schizophrenia, but then in wrap group her first night (of two she was there before going to rehab) she was, like, "i want out of here and should be out of here because i'm not a crazy person...no offense everyone". which, i'd say it was divided in about half among the rest of us there: one half was, like, "no offense taken." and others...were, like, "some significant offense taken." my second roommate was rad though, so her loss, my gain ; )

but as far as being called "crazy"...i have paranoid schizophrenia with command hallucinations and formal thought disorder, quite severe OCD, and on the more than moderate side of the ADHD severity spectrum, so to speak.but it's that first one...the SZ...yeah, i see people talking about "crazy" people and some are just narcissistic assholes, like our president, 45. but by and large, when people are talking about "crazy" people...they often mean people like me (people who are incoherent, talking to voices, whose thought processes are delusional, who are often homeless. and i know it, and i try to keep from exposing too much of my self to them...they get only the outer brown krinkley skin on a yellow onion.

don't read this part yet. i need to come back and edit it. my clozaril/zyprexa is kicking in...

what super kills me is people calling those who are NOT clinically psychotic, "psycho or psychotic". why? because *I* am legit psychotic and the person who just lost his/her shit on you probably isn't. more likely you were a dick because calling someone, anyone, psycho or crazy as a slur. not only do those words carry negative connotations, they carry within them the seeds of mental health stigma/stigma against those with MI. (mis)using those words creates a vehicle to get those with mental illness "othered"; make us  unseen, unheard, misunderstood; and at its most insidious, it's a way to differentiate (so as to discriminate) between those one considers fully human and thus a person with basic human rights, resources, some level of stability, and autonomy/self directedness. they are are citizens, middle class, representatives of cultural/intellectual/social movements, some select pattern/ideologically defined group. they're a template with personal content added by the individuals but what you must attain to be considered those things) over the course of history. in other words, attributes of" personhood" are denied those of us with mental illness. now it's going further and proposes this false equivalence, in practice)  by attempting to bind the low percentage of schizophrenics who do end up acting on hallucinations/delusions with all those who've committed mass murder, serious arson, serial murder, or even in my case...very few schizophrenics overall try to dig devices out of our bodies, who has destroyed property, i basically staked out a couple i believed one whom was spying on me, being all spiderman playing about the cables around our house in the dark, i broke into a radio ...actually that's enough; you get my drift. 

i hope that helps though i fear my night meds are pulling me under. take care x

• Like 2

When my ex was secretly planning to leave me, he started telling me I was crazy. Long story but eventually I realized yes I had psych problems but he was messing with me in a verbally abusive way calling me crazy especially when I questioned certain things. It’s never meant in a constructive or helpful way, it’s basically name calling in my eyes, so I take it seriously. But now I could ignore it, then it came from a trusted person so it was hard to ignore. Not sure why people say such mean things.