CrazyBoards.org

Blahblah

Starting 2mg MethylFolate - but my vitamin already has 800mg Folic Acid??

Question...My daily mutivitamin has 800mg Folic Acid. I wanted to start taking optimized Folate (just as a test) to see if it has a beneficial effect. Docs here do not do the gene mutation testing. Other problem, I'm in Europe where supplements are HIGHLY regulated. I can only purchase optimized Folate which contains only 1,000 Micrograms (equal to 1mg) which I worry might be useless!!

I've read most people take 10-15mg of MethylFolate daily. What should I do here? Is it bad to combine the 1mg Folate to the 800mg of Folic Acid that I already take? Perhaps I should just wait until I go to the US, and I can easily purchase/ship exactly the dose I want?

Posted (edited)

Hi BlahBlah,

The multivitamin I take has 400mcg of folic acid (labeled 100% RDA) and adding 15mg of l-methylfolate has been nothing but beneficial.  I'm not a doctor but I believe that any excess B vitamin will be cleared in urine.  I'm not sure you're going to see much response using only 1mg...the therapeutic dose seems to be between 7.5 and 15mg.  I wish there was an easy OTC solution for you there.

Edited by crow66

Thanks! I will see what I can get shipped here that won't cost an arm + leg for shipping & VAT costs. Then in the US, I'll pick up loads of the good stuff.

Do you still have that Amazon link I posted?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dontspeak
      Hola,
      Has anyone tried BOTH ($30) methylpro and ($58) deplin and have a review of efficacy for each? My pdoc literally just called me and said he's tired making people pay twice the price deplin charges, and wanted me to post, bless his soul.
      Bless my soul I am a mania and mixed episode monster and cannot be the guinea pig for this SSRI booster.
      Gracias
    • By crazylikafox
      Hey all yalls!~

I'm currently on 400mg lamictal and pretty stable, which makes me feel great--I can accomplish so much more now.

Right now I'm noticing quite a bit of minor cognitive impairment, though. I'm having trouble remembering words, my short term memory is shot, and I'm having problems with grammar and spelling. This is sort of an issue because I'm a full time college student and I -really- need to do my best after having to take a semester at home (GPA didn't transfer, so got to bring it up). I can still write great papers, but it's hard for me to recall some facts and I am taking longer to get things done.

TBH I would rather not go off of lamictal, because being stable is my number one priority right now.

I have read the other threads about lamictal and cognitive impairment, but after doing some internet sleuthing I've found that lamictal is related to a decrease in folate levels. Folate and other B vitamins are related to cognitive function...therefore taking extra folic acid should help, right? At least it can't hurt x3

I should probably mention that I follow an almost vegan diet because I dislike most meats ('cept bacon), hate eggs and am allergic to dairy, so those don't bring a lot of extra B vitamins into my diet.

So, has anyone taken folic acid supplements and found that their cognitive problems became less troubling?