CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Joey77

Latuda worked well but made me so angry

I was taking latuda 80mg and it worked well with the depression and worthless feelings also got rid of the rapid mind cycling and music playing but wow did it make me angry. Is there any other option that doesn’t make you so angry for Bipolar 1 as Seroquel XR is not working well as an alternative.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Joey77 said:

I was taking latuda 80mg and it worked well with the depression and worthless feelings also got rid of the rapid mind cycling and music playing but wow did it make me angry. Is there any other option that doesn’t make you so angry for Bipolar 1 as Seroquel XR is not working well as an alternative.

Well, no two people are alike, but I've finally found relief with Vraylar mixed with Topamax from a horrible mixed episode that had me a raging madwoman. 

PS, welcome to CB. 🙃

Edited by BipolarSpinster

I agree with Vraylar as an option, can help with both mania and depression although only technically approved for mania. Rexulti as well if your problems are more depression  

I'm on Latuda too. I haven't had problems with rage (well not more than usual :P), but I have really withdrawn socially and am more or less unable to feel joy except very rarely. I was talking to someone recently who is also on Latuda and also suffers from flat moods, and her pdoc told her it is probably the Latuda. I'm going away this summer so can't get off it right away for insurance reasons (travel insurance won't pay if you've made any med changes in the 6 months prior to leaving), but my doc said we can start weaning me off of it when I get back. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By gazelle
      Okay so here's the deal. I was diagnosed ADHD I a few years back and I have been on Vyvanse 50 mg for a while now-- like years-- and it has helped me a lot. One of the behaviors that it helps with was that I had a little bit of hoarding and compulsive collecting and shopping habits with certain items. Before Vyvanse, I was spending a lot of money that I didn't need to and had something like 35 perfumes and tons of makeup and books.
      Sadly though the Vyvanse never took my underlying depression away, and I knew there was more going on so then I was diagnosed with bipolar 2. It seems to fit. I have been on Propranolol for almost 3 months now and it has worked well for me for anxiety. I have been stable on Latuda since early June and I really liked it from day one because my depression or the suicidal ideation lifted. I had previously been on Topiramate and Lamictal and neither of them work well for me. in fact my doctor said she wrote down that I have an allergy to anticonvulsants.
      My daylio chart since Latuda has gone from up and way down to being green and purple as in good days and meh days which is so much better for the most part. But for the last week or so I have realized I have been compulsively shopping and starting to collect items again. I read that this can be a side effect of Latuda, and it very much feels like what I was doing before in terms of  compulsion. I have underlying OCD Tendencies anyway as a recovering binge eater (the Vyvanse and Latuda seem to really help with that together) and long-term number watcher and collector. 
      It's like the Latuda is canceling out the part of the Vyvanse that controls the compulsive shopping stuff even though the Vyvanse is still helping me with motivation and my motivation to work and stuff is much better with Vyvanse and Latuda than it was before. I'm working more hours with better quality than I have in the whole time I've had a job. the only reason I still had a job honestly it's because I work from home and it's not a super tough job but I have been slacking on it for years between all of my brain stuff making it very hard to work. 
      I'm only on 20 mg of Latuda daily, so do you think it's possible that I need to be up to 40 for this to stop or do you think that I'm just going to have to either live with this side effect since it's one of the only ones I have or that I would need to switch medications? I'm not spending huge sums of money but I am spending money every day on stuff that I don't need and it is very obviously a feeling of being compelled to do so. Ugh. the contented and dare I say it happy feeling that I had had up until this last week has been replaced by the need to buy things or think about buying something. Thoughts?
      Has anyone else dealt with this particular side effect and what did your pdoc end up doing? I was feeling really stable, and so she changed my appointment to every 2 months now and I'm not due to see her again until early September. I appreciate any feedback you might have or ideas.
    • By gazelle
      I have been on Latuda at 20 mg for almost a month now and it's been working very well for my bipolar 2. But now there's a kink I'm wondering about. Started my period two days ago and it is horrible pain and cramping wise. I rarely even have to take Tylenol on my period but I took ibuprofen yesterday and just popped more today. Yesterday pain wasn't that bad; today is pretty bad. I had to go lie down. My left knee is also hurting but so is my lower stomach down to my calf on that side. I'm thinking about taking an Aleve actually after the ibuprofen wears off which I almost never do. Has anyone else had this side effect? I've heard some things about people having really long periods, and I hope that doesn't happen. If it goes over 7 or 8 days then I guess I'll have my answer. I already have PCOS and take Metformin so I don't really need to add to any of it. Also I might end up on 40 mg of Latuda and I'm wondering if upping the dose will make this even worse. Not sure yet so I'm really wondering if this gets better or stays the same. Experiences?
    • By Candy6544
      So I just started Latuda and I am an avid user of alcohol and marijuana (its legal in my state)
      I currently take geodon, lamictal, and lithium but I just added latuda
      everything seemed like it was actually working great with Latuda but after I used "weed" and alcohol my brain is in bad shape and slowly getting better 
      It really left my mind foggy and inattentative in the morning because of  combining the marijuana and alcohol with it.
      at first it was going great but mixing those things with it really left my mind not all there  
      moral of the story if you take other bipolar/schizophrenia meds alongside Latuda DO NOT do any marijuana as well it'll ruin your brain over time trust me. Other antipsychotics can cause this effect too
      i hope this helps those who are struggling with substance abuse alongside any of these meds because they can help you greatly but marijuana will fry with your brain with them overtime mixing them
    • By Stars
      I have been taking Latuda 20mg for about 3 yrs. I wasn't deeply depressed any longer but I just had no motivation and it was hard to get up many days. I generally just watched TV and looked at the net. Recently I suggested to new pdoc to increase the Latuda to 40mg. The reason it hadn't been done before this is that I have EPS from taking Stelazine for 18 yrs. So the doc increased it and the first week or so it caused insomnia and it was stressful. Now things seem to have settled down and for about a week now I have felt--Happy. I hardly remember what it feels like. I actually cleaned my fridge today. May not seem earth shaking but huge for me. The only problem I am having that I am aware of is some breast discharge. I know this can be very normal and does happen with some AP. Anyone else ever had this happen?
      I am bipolar 2 mostly depressed and a very long term psych patient. 
      stars
    • By Hernam
      I started taking latuda about three weeks ago I stopped becasie I was having jaw dystonia. My pdoc suggested that I take Benadryl with the latuda. It helps a little bit, but I still have it during the day. I causes tightness in my jaw to the point I am constantly clinching. It seems to be the only side affect I have. My pdoc told me there is another medicine he can prescribe for dystonia if needed. My question is of anyone has had this side effect and if it goes away after some time?  Thank you for any input.