CrazyBoards.org

hey CB,

anyone keep a headache journal/tracker?  I decided that it wouldn't hurt for me to start one since I always feel like I'm making random guesses when my neuro asks me how often I got them, how many required medication, etc.

if so, what do you include?  so far I have:

date

time start

time end

intensity

preceding symptoms

location and type of pain

other symptoms

medication taken and dosage

alternative treatments used

That might be all I need, but I figured I'd ask around.

Argh, no I should do (my doctor keeps telling me to), but I just can't be bothered. Which isn't a very good excuse but usually after I have a migraine the last thing I want to do is think about it :P 

I'd maybe note down if you have any unusual reactions or symptoms? I had a migraine today and usually I'm not movement-sensitive, but today it felt like even breathing caused a kind of pain ripple. It was weird. One time I think I had a reaction to the sumatriptan and my scalp became very touch sensitive and painful.

Have you noticed any specific triggers? My most consistent one is hormonal changes :angry: which means I can at least guarantee once a month. As if it wasn't enough of a pain already!

Oof, that really sucks.  Mine aren't consistently with my period, but they definitely happen.

I haven't found any common triggers yet.  Part of that, I think, is that the botox thing seems to be doing the trick and reducing the quantity.  I'm not sure about that being the cause, but I've gotten three bad headaches and two migraines in the past month when I have a history of getting upwards of 15.  Weather changes (particularly going from nice outside to really overcast and gloomy) seem to hit me pretty reliably.  I haven't found any consistent food triggers, so I stopped tracking that. 

Yes, changes in atmosphere completely ruin me! We've just gone from a heatwave into a storm, pretty sure it contributed to todays migraine. When I was little I had to do a food allergy test. A month of nothing but bland food. No gluten, chocolate, minimal sugar, red meat, and a whole bunch of other things. Thank the Gods I wasn't allergic to wheat or chocolate. The only good thing was this mango spread stuff. I haven't heard much about botox as a migraine reduction method? But I'm glad it seems to be doing something. I've gone up to 15 before. I have no idea what happened or why they gradually reduced but who knows with brains. I've just accepted mine are likely genetic, since both grandmothers had them, though there could be a link between PTSD and migraines (I think it's still correlational at this point however)

That food allergy test sounds painful.  Not literally.  But whew.  

The botox thing is explained pretty well here https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/botox-for-migraine/

my neuro prescribed it because I met the frequency and had tried a bunch of preventatives to no avail.  I was a little scared, but the first round went without a problem so (knock on wood) hopefully it will keep up.

It was mostly depressing being a 10 year old on a very strict diet! I missed my food! Happily it seems that food is not a trigger, though if I forget to eat I can pay for it later. The botox thing is interesting, I didn't realise it was so useful. It seems like one of those things that, because it gained popularity due to it's non-medicinal properties, is pretty accessible and hopefully doesn't come with much stigma? Strange how things come around. Apparently thalidomide is being trialled (under very strict circumstances) for a range of medical problems. Ketamine is being used as an alternative pain relief. 

Sorry that was a tangent. Anyway, I'm glad the botox seems to help.

Thanks!  Yes, that sounds particularly hard on a kid.  I’m cautiously optimistic about how the Botox will go.  I think it’s starting to become more common and approved (after multiple drug trial failures).

• Like 1