CrazyBoards.org

gb84

What do you do to calm yourself down when you're paranoid?

Any ideas to help calm down when you feel paranoid and afraid?  I know the medication is supposed to do that, but I have to wait till next month since my pdoc is on vacation.  I don't want to go to a hospital again, too traumatizing for me. 

Posted (edited)

Do you have a therapist you can talk to while your pdoc is away?.......That might help.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I have a family member I talk to who helps me reality check. Sometimes I get too paranoid even to talk to her or my tdoc/pdoc though.

I recently saw my pdoc..I see her every 3 weeks..I have no therapist..

I have a pretty consistent state of paranoid tendencies despite medications..

I take 2 antipsychotics and they work as good as they can..

Anyways I'm side tracking..which is common for me..

One thing she told me this time besides reality checking with my mom whom I live with was to breath and check in with myself..

This concept seemed unreal and foreign..

To delve into my own thoughts and pull them apart and release them from my grasp and let them go and break them down out of my reality..

This will take some sitting with..this will take some huge deep breaths and focus..

Possibly it might work..

She also told me to turn to my art..

Go back to my escape..

If you have a place in your mind that you can escape to or an activity to distract you..go there..

This place in our minds can get quite twisted and tangled and turned around and stuck in corners..

But there's eventually a way out..

• Like 1

Thanks for the support, I have been trying to tell someone I trust when I feel bad.  It does give some relief to get those thoughts off my chest.  Even if the person I am talking to doesn't fully understand what I am talking about.  I wish I had a therapist to help me right now, but the earliest I could get in is at the end of August. 

I've been taking a small dose of Zyprexa if I'm really in a full blown delusional state.  I wish that Latuda was as strong on that front, but I'll do what I have to do until I get back into the Dr. next month. 

Deep breathing...mindfulness....calling a friend or family member to ask if my fears are grounded in reality or not....when you see your pdoc, you might want to ask if you can take a med prn for when you experience breakthrough symptoms.