CrazyBoards.org

gb84

What do you do to calm yourself down when you're paranoid?

Any ideas to help calm down when you feel paranoid and afraid?  I know the medication is supposed to do that, but I have to wait till next month since my pdoc is on vacation.  I don't want to go to a hospital again, too traumatizing for me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Do you have a therapist you can talk to while your pdoc is away?.......That might help.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I have a family member I talk to who helps me reality check. Sometimes I get too paranoid even to talk to her or my tdoc/pdoc though.

I recently saw my pdoc..I see her every 3 weeks..I have no therapist..

I have a pretty consistent state of paranoid tendencies despite medications..

I take 2 antipsychotics and they work as good as they can..

Anyways I'm side tracking..which is common for me..

One thing she told me this time besides reality checking with my mom whom I live with was to breath and check in with myself..

This concept seemed unreal and foreign..

To delve into my own thoughts and pull them apart and release them from my grasp and let them go and break them down out of my reality..

This will take some sitting with..this will take some huge deep breaths and focus..

Possibly it might work..

She also told me to turn to my art..

Go back to my escape..

If you have a place in your mind that you can escape to or an activity to distract you..go there..

This place in our minds can get quite twisted and tangled and turned around and stuck in corners..

But there's eventually a way out..

• Like 1

Thanks for the support, I have been trying to tell someone I trust when I feel bad.  It does give some relief to get those thoughts off my chest.  Even if the person I am talking to doesn't fully understand what I am talking about.  I wish I had a therapist to help me right now, but the earliest I could get in is at the end of August. 

I've been taking a small dose of Zyprexa if I'm really in a full blown delusional state.  I wish that Latuda was as strong on that front, but I'll do what I have to do until I get back into the Dr. next month. 

Deep breathing...mindfulness....calling a friend or family member to ask if my fears are grounded in reality or not....when you see your pdoc, you might want to ask if you can take a med prn for when you experience breakthrough symptoms. 

One time my pdoc had someone cover his weeken. I had never heard of him before.

besides the standard bipolar meds I would add on Prolixin when needed for paranoia and hearing noises. I had taken 5mg before I talked to him. He had me double the dose and call him in an hour or so. I called back and said I could barely stay awake. He said double it and to call my own pdoc on Monday.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Savannah said:

One time my pdoc had someone cover his weeken. I had never heard of him before.

besides the standard bipolar meds I would add on Prolixin when needed for paranoia and hearing noises. I had taken 5mg before I talked to him. He had me double the dose and call him in an hour or so. I called back and said I could barely stay awake. He said double it and to call my own pdoc on Monday.

Some grade A doctoring there 

Usually when I feel my paranoia gaining traction I try to begin by de-rationalizing my thoughts. I tend to become catastrophic if my paranoia is left unchecked so that is where I begin. Me: Someone is going to break into my house any moment ; My de-rationalization: Why would someone pass 30 other apartments, to come to this door, on this particular day, to break in, while I'm sitting inside?

It's pretty hard to explain but it helps me calm down a lot when things are getting out of hand.

• Like 2

Thank you, all of those that responded. Your responses really helped me too.  I wish I had someone to do reality checks with, sure would help. 

I found the Overcoming Paranoid and Suspicious thoughts quite helpful, but reality checks are the best - along with therapy and the right meds. Did you get your meds sorted in the end?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ~nestling~ said:

I found the Overcoming Paranoid and Suspicious thoughts quite helpful, but reality checks are the best - along with therapy and the right meds. Did you get your meds sorted in the end?

Nestling ~  How did you overcome paranoid and suspicious thoughts that you felt were quite helpful?  I have no one to do reality checks and it's difficult to do this myself.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Nestling ~  How did you overcome paranoid and suspicious thoughts that you felt were quite helpful?  I have no one to do reality checks and it's difficult to do this myself.

It’s a book ... I’ve seen it and been curious if it was any good. There are also these worksheets you can find for free online that I’ve used before, those were somewhat helpful. Google self help for psychosis.

Edited by Juniper29

2 minutes ago, Juniper29 said:

It’s a book ... I’ve seen it and been curious if it was any good. There are also these worksheets you can find for free online that I’ve used before, those were somewhat helpful.

I would love to know the name of that book and where to find free worksheets online.  You are welcome to pm me if you choose.  Thank you !! 

11 hours ago, Dewey said:

It's a book. I found the first part really useful. 

6 hours ago, ~nestling~ said:

It's a book. I found the first part really useful. 

So does it address the kind of paranoia where you think the government is monitoring you or people are reading your thoughts and that sort of thing? Or is it more just general suspiciousness of other people? I couldn’t tell from the part I was able to view online.

2 hours ago, Juniper29 said:

So does it address the kind of paranoia where you think the government is monitoring you or people are reading your thoughts and that sort of thing? Or is it more just general suspiciousness of other people? I couldn’t tell from the part I was able to view online.

Good question !!  Amazon did not open the book so I could read the first chapter or table of contents.  There are several books with the same title from the same author, all starting from $13.00 to $39.00, not sure what the difference is. 

3 hours ago, Juniper29 said:

It's more general, but me with my tech related paranoia [long story] found it helpful.