CrazyBoards.org

Okay so here's the deal. I was diagnosed ADHD I a few years back and I have been on Vyvanse 50 mg for a while now-- like years-- and it has helped me a lot. One of the behaviors that it helps with was that I had a little bit of hoarding and compulsive collecting and shopping habits with certain items. Before Vyvanse, I was spending a lot of money that I didn't need to and had something like 35 perfumes and tons of makeup and books.

Sadly though the Vyvanse never took my underlying depression away, and I knew there was more going on so then I was diagnosed with bipolar 2. It seems to fit. I have been on Propranolol for almost 3 months now and it has worked well for me for anxiety. I have been stable on Latuda since early June and I really liked it from day one because my depression or the suicidal ideation lifted. I had previously been on Topiramate and Lamictal and neither of them work well for me. in fact my doctor said she wrote down that I have an allergy to anticonvulsants.

My daylio chart since Latuda has gone from up and way down to being green and purple as in good days and meh days which is so much better for the most part. But for the last week or so I have realized I have been compulsively shopping and starting to collect items again. I read that this can be a side effect of Latuda, and it very much feels like what I was doing before in terms of  compulsion. I have underlying OCD Tendencies anyway as a recovering binge eater (the Vyvanse and Latuda seem to really help with that together) and long-term number watcher and collector. 

It's like the Latuda is canceling out the part of the Vyvanse that controls the compulsive shopping stuff even though the Vyvanse is still helping me with motivation and my motivation to work and stuff is much better with Vyvanse and Latuda than it was before. I'm working more hours with better quality than I have in the whole time I've had a job. the only reason I still had a job honestly it's because I work from home and it's not a super tough job but I have been slacking on it for years between all of my brain stuff making it very hard to work. 

I'm only on 20 mg of Latuda daily, so do you think it's possible that I need to be up to 40 for this to stop or do you think that I'm just going to have to either live with this side effect since it's one of the only ones I have or that I would need to switch medications? I'm not spending huge sums of money but I am spending money every day on stuff that I don't need and it is very obviously a feeling of being compelled to do so. Ugh. the contented and dare I say it happy feeling that I had had up until this last week has been replaced by the need to buy things or think about buying something. Thoughts?

Has anyone else dealt with this particular side effect and what did your pdoc end up doing? I was feeling really stable, and so she changed my appointment to every 2 months now and I'm not due to see her again until early September. I appreciate any feedback you might have or ideas.

If you are not feeling well and have the money for an appointment then just call and see if you can get in earlier.  If I had the money and my Dr. wasn't on vacation I would be in there asap. 

Im on 60mg of Latuda and it is definitely not enough. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rabidtears
      I started seeing a new pdoc last year as I was unhappy with my previous one. Okay, 2 pdocs ago I had a tentative diagnosis of Cyclothymia. I started having issues and needed help but I wasn't going to be able to get in to see my pdoc at the time again until 6 months later so I switched. The next one had me take an evaluation? The one that is on paper and takes 3 hours or so to complete. She diagnosed me with Bipolar 1. I was really not happy with how she talked to me and was viewing my reactions to different medications so after a year or so, I switched to the doctor I have now. I love him! He's great.
      What I am confused about, they just started a patient portal and I was just skimming through until I got to the diagnosis section. So am I now diagnosed as bipolar 2 instead of 1? Can you have cyclothymia as well bipolar? Sorry I'm just confused.
      Problems
      Bipolar Ii Disorder Active 01/19/2017 Major Depression, Recurrent Active 01/19/2017 Cyclothymic Disorder Active 07/03/2018
    • By Merrystories
      Hi I have bipolar and have been on Latuda for 2 and a half months and am on 60mg.  I had my first panic attack on 40mg and it’s only gotten worse .  I used to think my panic attacks were triggered by sleep but now after learning about akathisia, I realize I most likely have that because I’m restless and have tremors and want it to end so badly.  I’m in Canada so I could go to the emerg but the likelyhood of me seeing a pdoc is low and my appointment with my appointed pdoc is in ten days.   I started to go back down on 40mg and today tried to take it in the day but the irritation is horrible and I don’t know if I can function at work with it. 
      Its worth noting that I was doing okay on Epival and they took me off it but things wnt to shit. Now I’m back on it and so I will have a mood stabilizer to help me if I get off the Latuda.  

Anywyas i I hope this makes sense.  My brain is kind of everywhere. I wanna know what the side effects will be and I suppose some reassurance?  I’m not sure.  Thank you for anyone who contributes.  
    • By gazelle
      I have been on Latuda at 20 mg for almost a month now and it's been working very well for my bipolar 2. But now there's a kink I'm wondering about. Started my period two days ago and it is horrible pain and cramping wise. I rarely even have to take Tylenol on my period but I took ibuprofen yesterday and just popped more today. Yesterday pain wasn't that bad; today is pretty bad. I had to go lie down. My left knee is also hurting but so is my lower stomach down to my calf on that side. I'm thinking about taking an Aleve actually after the ibuprofen wears off which I almost never do. Has anyone else had this side effect? I've heard some things about people having really long periods, and I hope that doesn't happen. If it goes over 7 or 8 days then I guess I'll have my answer. I already have PCOS and take Metformin so I don't really need to add to any of it. Also I might end up on 40 mg of Latuda and I'm wondering if upping the dose will make this even worse. Not sure yet so I'm really wondering if this gets better or stays the same. Experiences?
    • By Joey77
      I was taking latuda 80mg and it worked well with the depression and worthless feelings also got rid of the rapid mind cycling and music playing but wow did it make me angry. Is there any other option that doesn’t make you so angry for Bipolar 1 as Seroquel XR is not working well as an alternative.
    • By wookie
      My doctor seems to think Lyrica is a mood stabilizer.  Is this right?
      My meds don't seem to be working. Zoloft 125mg and Lyrica 300mg