CrazyBoards.org

I'm in my twenties and a mixture of physical and mental illnesses has kept me from getting my degree thus far. For a while, the physical illness was the worst -- I would sleep 22 hours a day and be a zombie for the two hours I was awake. 

But now... I'm ready to go back to school. I was studying Mandarin Chinese before I dropped out and now I want to study Econ as well. Some people in my family seem hesitant, afraid that a double major in two relatively challenging subjects (hello, Chinese) might cause my mental illness to suffer and my stress level to rocket. But I love these subjects and I want to get my degree in them. How do I convince my family that I'll be okay? They're helping me out in the money department so I can't just go ahead and do whatever I want, unfortunately. My twin brother is currently getting his PhD in Physics and I'm so tired of feeling like a failure in comparison to him, too. 

First, stop comparing yourself to your brother.  Never going to lead to anything.  He's not you, you're not him.

Second, maybe you could try getting back into the Mandarin for a semester or two (Ni hao!  Ni hao ma?  Mang bu mang?); if you do well, perhaps parents will see that and open up to you adding to the course load. 

(I studied Madarin for an entire year in college - in the hypomanic hopes of going to acupuncture school!)

• Like 1

I say go slowly with a class or two, get your feet wet before diving in and then getting overwhelmed. Slow & steady...

• Haha 1

echoing the others here. go back as a part-time student first for a semester (or a year, there's no rush) taking a reduced course load. if that goes well, then consider taking a full time schedule.

i've been a full time student for the last three years, and yes, it does exacerbate my symptoms and it is hard. no way around that. stress makes MI worse and that's that. i just get ready for the fact that my mental health will be worse and make the adjustments necessary to get through it. i see my psych every two weeks when i'm at school to make sure i don't slide too far out of control. having proper support makes all the difference. is there any counselling/psychiatric services through your university? being able to get on with that might make things seem more reasonable for your folks.

I had to Bail on my first semester due to MI. I took the next semester off and then came back and took 3 courses instead of 4 with a easier set up (Friday off etc.) I've finished for semesters like this now...seems to me that if you pace yourself as best u can your underlying capabilities can still shine out 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, Blahblah said:

I say go slowly with a class or two, get your feet wet before diving in and then getting overwhelmed. Slow & steady...

I see what you did there... lol.gif

As someone who went back after a long span away and is currently juggling two majors and a minor, I highly recommend dipping your feet into the pool before you jump in.  If you can continue your major in Mandarin part-time first and possibly take an econ course on the side to see how it feels, you might be able to make a better decision on whether or not you can handle a double major.  A minor can also be an option, as could getting a second bachelor's in econ.  Double majoring is especially painful towards the end of the degrees when all you have left is upper level classes.  Some of my semester loads have definitely tested my stress and time management skills and pushed me to the point that I've broken.

Also remember that the ADA covers psych conditions as well as physical--talk to your doctors and the Office of Disability Services at whatever school you go to about requesting reasonable accommodations.  I get extra time on exams and a non-distracting environment, as well as permission to have a note-taker or record lectures.

3 hours ago, Kaashii said:

As someone who went back after a long span away and is currently juggling two majors and a minor, I highly recommend dipping your feet into the pool before you jump in.  If you can continue your major in Mandarin part-time first and possibly take an econ course on the side to see how it feels, you might be able to make a better decision on whether or not you can handle a double major.  A minor can also be an option, as could getting a second bachelor's in econ.  Double majoring is especially painful towards the end of the degrees when all you have left is upper level classes.  Some of my semester loads have definitely tested my stress and time management skills and pushed me to the point that I've broken.

Also remember that the ADA covers psych conditions as well as physical--talk to your doctors and the Office of Disability Services at whatever school you go to about requesting reasonable accommodations.  I get extra time on exams and a non-distracting environment, as well as permission to have a note-taker or record lectures.

Good point about accommodations...I got extra time on homework and ability to take short breaks from classes 

I know taking a back up besides the language is a good thing. It is important to have something to fall back on in case you can't find a good job in Chinese.

as far as if you can handle it is more about enough sleep and rest. Also don't let your mind churn on how difficult it is because you may start to believe it . If you can learn a language you can do Economics. 

I would start out with  one Econ class to see how you like it. Also remember if you decide it isn't for you you can also drop it sp pay close attention to the drop date.

Best of luck!  YOU CAN DO IT!

There was a sign in my school that said something like "Aim for the moon, if you fail you'll land in the stars" I think this is so true.

The lady who waxes my legs sometimes owns her own business doing eyebrows, nails, all that stuff. She's really successful and making a great living, and she likes her job because she can chat to all kinds of people. You know what she studied originally? Medicine! Do you think that was a waste of time? No way, what if I go in with a weird mole on my leg? What if I have an ingrown hair? Someone else would miss these things. Who in my city do you think is the best at keeping her beauty instruments sterile? And of course she sailed through the anatomy and physiology segment of beauty college. 

You are young so this might actually not sound that great to you, but believe me, being happy and being in good company and being financially secure and knowing that you are great at what you do is far more important than having a high status job that might not have turned out to be all you thought it would be. She landed in the stars. It might take a while, but you will too (or you might land on the moon... actually this doesn’t make a lot of sense astronomically but it's a great metaphor)

Hey check out memrise for mandarin, it's very cool. https://www.memrise.com/courses/english/chinese/

• Like 1