CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Someone93

compulsive(?) need for answers

Posted (edited)

Does anyone else relate to this? Is this PTSD related or is this just my personality? I got this illness at a really young age so sometimes I don't know the difference.

Why do i NEED to get answers for everything from other people? I want someone to tell me the answer to everything. Politics, religion, personal issues, you name it. I'm constantly trying to get people to answer questions and they seem to think I'm manipulating them or something but that's not what it is. I need answers and i don't trust myself to provide them. I don't trust most people either, just a few and i drive these few people crazy with relentless "yes or no" or "this or that" questions trying to get them to tell me what this life is all about. It could even be something as simple as "is this dress blue or green" and if they won't give me a distinct answer it will drive me crazy until they do. More often it's bigger questions about the nature of good and evil, if i am a good person, if i am safe (in the event of a panic attack) etc. People are really reluctant to give answers for some reason. It's always a maybe and not a yes or a no. I don't feel safe without having a Yes or a No to every question that crosses my mind, but i have no faith in my own answers or answers from most other sources. They have to come from one of the few people i feel i can trust.

How do i do anything about this? i dont feel like i could ever trust myself to know anything.

Edited by Someone93

Some questions can't be answered by yes or no and some people will not answer with a yes or no.

I definitely relate! I have PTSD (went a very long time before being diagnosed,) and for me I think my lack of ability to know what the right thing to do is from a lack of trust in myself due to trauma. Despite cognitively understanding that the abuse that happened to me was not my fault, I still blame myself, still think if I had made different decisions (even as a child!) the traumatic events would not have occurred. Since that is my perspective, how could I ever trust myself again? It comes back to a fundamental (erroneous) belief that I cannot keep myself safe.