CrazyBoards.org

i dont know if this is the righ board to post this on but it seemed like the best so sorry if this isnt appropriate. 

Every time i see someone on the internet talk about intrusive thoughts they always make jokes about "eating sand" or having song lyrics stuck in their head.

Sometimes this makes me feel really weird and isolated because mine are often about rape, incest, swallowing tacks and pins, swerving off the road or jumping off of tall buildings. Am i the only one who has intrusive thoughts like this? Sometimes they get so bad they effect me physically , wherein i can feel my joints move to jump or my throat clench at the feeling of swallowing tacks. This makes me feel so bad even typing this out because any time i speak about it people think im violent but these arent thoughts i want. Dose anyone else have these and how do you get rid of them? I try to get rid of them by counting or reciting what im doing in my head to push them out// 

no youre not the only one. Sometimes I can actually smell some of the things im having intrusive thoughts about.

the two main strategies i use are these - 

mindfulness - observe the thought, dont react, let it be there, and watch it pass. 

Ignore/distraction - this is basically "white knuckle riding" it and is my least preferable method. Sometimes it works.

its counterproductive to try and not think about something. If someone tells you not to think of a white bear what happens? you think of a white bear. Its the same principle. Theres no easy answer to any of this. This has been the most distressing aspect of Ocd for me and even though ive learned to meditate its an aspect i still find distressing. 

I don't think you're violent, I think you have intrusive thoughts.  They are causing you distress, but that doesn't mean you are going to act upon them.

I have intrusive thoughts, but not about the same things as you.  They just sort of pop into my head, I kinda think about how they don't belong in my current train of thought, then they usually just go away.  Mostly, mine aren't distressing, just really random stuff.

What kind of meds do they have you on?

i get these too. they're awful. at one point i couldn't look at people who i knew were dating somebody or married without disgusting sexual images popping into my head. i also have trouble handling sharps without gory images coming to mind. driving is also hard. i think of swerving off the road or into the other lane.

i usually just try to ignore them, and be mindful that they don't represent who i am as a person. they're a symptom of mental illness, not a product of your rational mind.

5 hours ago, sbdivemaster said:

What kind of meds do they have you on

im not on any meds but i take melatonin to sleep sometimes. 

8 hours ago, Alexander search said:

Ignore/distraction - this is basically "white knuckle riding" it and is my least preferable method. Sometimes it works.

thats usually what i try to do usually 

Yeah, I get really violent/sexual/gross/straight up weird intrusive thoughts. Less so now. Thus far I haven't been able to get rid of intrusive thoughts completely, but having a general improvement in my anxiety levels has helped turn them from mind numbingly invasive to what my tdoc describes as 'wallpaper thoughts'. They're there, and are probably not going to disappear, but you can sort of ignore it (like ugly wallpaper in a room). For the more difficult ones I'm trying to do the whole mindfulness route but it's not helped much. Probably because my OCD/OCPD mental cleansing routine is pretty ingrained.

This hasn't helped stop them but it has made me feel better about them, which is reframing intrusive thoughts as just all being anxiety. Rather than focusing on why specifically I am having thoughts about someone killing my dog, or me killing my dog, I've just gone 'oh its the anxiety'. So it's about seeing it all as just this anxious collection of junk rather than trying to parse out why each and every intrusive thought matters. YMMV, for some intrusive thoughts (that are trauma related for me) it's slightly different, but most of the time it's all anxious noise that doesn't have any higher meaning.