CrazyBoards.org

I think this post belongs here and not in the Bipolar section. I am hoping I will get more feedback here. So I went back up to Effexor 150, although I stayed on the Abilify 10.  My Libido seems to have returned.  However, I feel very tired.  Especially around 5pm when my adderal has worn off.  I have lowered my Klonopin to bid.  My bf complains that I am "dead". Because I need naps during the day.  My PCP who is like my PDOC but actually listens, suggested I split the 150 dose to 75 bid.  (It is the XR version) but he gave me 60 capsules.  I am afraid to only take 75 in the AM and get depressed.  I just started a new job and I Don't want to be tinkering with my meds.  What I could start off doing is taking 112.5mg in the AM which was my old dose and did not make me as tired, and taking the other 37.5 at bedtime for like a week before doing the 75 bid.  I need to start walking and going to the gym and I don't feel like doing anything. Norepinephrine tends to make me tired, which is why I had to stop Wellbutrin.  But the higher Serotonin in the 150 is somehow helping me even though I feel tired.  I would appreciate any input.  I am making a lot of lifestyle changes like quitting smoking and trying to lower my carb intake and working again. I think all that is messing with my emotions, along with my PMDD. 

5 hours ago, Amethyst674 said:

What I could start off doing is taking 112.5mg in the AM which was my old dose and did not make me as tired, and taking the other 37.5 at bedtime for like a week before doing the 75 bid.

I think this is a good idea. I meant to respond to your message sooner earlier today but didn't get to. Sorry about that. :/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Amethyst674 said:

But the higher Serotonin in the 150 is somehow helping me even though I feel tired.

From what I've read, Effexor pretty much maxes out at 75 mg regarding serotonin reuptake inhibition. This is according to just one source I've read though.

12 hours ago, Amethyst674 said:

I am making a lot of lifestyle changes like quitting smoking and trying to lower my carb intake and working again.

Lowering carb intake, from what I've read (not the most reputable source either) can lower your serotonin production. It recommended supplementing with 5-HTP, but supplementing with 5-HTP + SSRIs/SNRIs can be dangerous. Some people do it with no problem, but I am not recommending you do it. I would ask your doctor first if you chose to do it.

I just started taking the whole dose in the AM because I kept forgetting it at night. I feel fine.

I am taking 112.5 . I was fine with the increase for the first 9 days and today I woke up shaky and heart racing . Why does that happen at day 10?? Does that mean I need to wait longer before I upping my dose ? Up until now it was starting to help with my panic attacks.. I see the doctor and I know she will just want to up it to 150. I still have anxious thoughts about my heart (which is a phobia for me). Do I need to give it a couple more weeks at this dosage ? I also take 2 or 3 mg of klonopin daily. I try to stay at 2mg. My early morning sleep has been off lately.   

@Ethansmom it's hard to say what's what if this is the first day you've woken up with those symptoms. it may be med related or it may be something else. given that you've gone up and been fine for the past nine days, i'd be more inclined to say it's not the effexor, but it's totally possible. give it a few more days to see if the morning anxiety continues.

for me, i got total anxiety relief at 150, so you may have to go up. If you're not comfortable going up yet, tell your doc that you want to wait a bit. you're in control here.

Given that you made it nine days, I’d attribute it to something else.  This may sound out there, but is it possible you had a bad nightmare and still experienced the shock of it when you woke up? You don’t have to actually remember it.  That’s what comes to mind first, though it might just be because I’ve had it happen recently.

@echolocation and @dancesintherain   Yes, I have been having bad dreams the last couples of nights and am not sleeping well. I will definitely give it a few more days before I go up to 150. I know the doc thinks i'll need a higher dosage to feel better. I wish for complete anxiety relief! Did it get rid of your anxious thoughts or just the physical symptoms. My thoughts are anxious thoughts! Also I've been more sleepy the past couple of days (probably due to lack of sleep from upping the meds), and taking klonopin.  I hope to wean off of that one day when my Effexor kicks in.

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

Did it get rid of your anxious thoughts or just the physical symptoms. My thoughts are anxious thoughts!

it did both. things that made me anxious and seemed impossible just no longer bother me. i stopped getting random anxiety pangs through the day. i can leave my room and use my shared kitchen without being afraid. i can hang out with friends without shaking in fear. talking became easier, and i've become looser in social situations. i still get anxious thoughts but it's now infinitely easier to cast them off. i can push them out of my brain and they just stop bothering me.

it did change my anxiety attacks, though. i still get them every once in a while (usually when i have situational stress going on) and they still have the uncomfortable physical sensations, but strangely deadened. i feel like curling up into a ball and just shaking, but without sweating, chest pain, hyperventilating, etc. it feels like my inner core is cold. on the mental side, it's like i can't think. everything is too much, even if i'm in a quiet, dark room. this comes with some of the general emotional blunting that came from effexor for me, but they sure are a strange experience.

150 Effexor felt totally different to me from 75mg and yes, the fatigue is really bad at 150mg and up, not sure why, maybe just loaded with serotonin?

I personally hated 150mg of Effexor, I'd try a different dosage if I were you, ask you PDoc.  Sometimes we have to find that sweet spot.

Ok that you both for replying . Both of your comments really helped. I guess it’s a matter of playing with dosages. If it helps then I can try to deal with the tiredness. Right now I’m in a stressful situation and the anxiety is getting to me. I hope this med shuts in down. Mornings are the worst for me.

For the past 4 days I've been getting acid reflux- burping and a weird acid taste in the back of the throat. I just upped my dose of Effexor about 10 days ago. Could this be causing it? I'm due to increase again tomorrow to 150MG.  I also take iron pills and the doctor did say those can cause acid reflux (OR it could be something new I'm eating). I have drinking an extra cup of coffee during the day and wondering if that's causing it? I hope it's not the Effexor because I'm finding that it's actually helping my panic a bit! Tums helps, but I can't take that forever!

On 9/20/2018 at 3:51 PM, Ethansmom said:

For the past 4 days I've been getting acid reflux- burping and a weird acid taste in the back of the throat. I just upped my dose of Effexor about 10 days ago. Could this be causing it? I'm due to increase again tomorrow to 150MG.  I also take iron pills and the doctor did say those can cause acid reflux (OR it could be something new I'm eating). I have drinking an extra cup of coffee during the day and wondering if that's causing it? I hope it's not the Effexor because I'm finding that it's actually helping my panic a bit! Tums helps, but I can't take that forever!

Yes, Effexor can cause stomach issues, especially nausea.  I have acid reflux as well.  Although the anxiety is probably the bigger culprit overall.

Edited by BrianOCD

I've never really had acid reflux, so this is new to me. It is okay to take TUMS daily if that helps the acid reflux. I don't want to have to change meds if this is starting to actually help. I just bumped up my meds, so maybe the new coating on the capsule won't give me acid reflux. 

Nix the extra coffee, it makes reflux much worse. As long as your doctor knows you are taking Tums you can take it as long as you like. Consult with your pharmacist about which mds not to take at same time as Tums. 

ok, thank you @notloki   I'm just wondering if this will ever go away. I've always been a coffee drinker and just realized that my husband bought a different brand of coffee about the same time my reflux started. I had coffee this morning and 5 minutes later the reflux began! Could that be it???

21 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

ok, thank you @notloki   I'm just wondering if this will ever go away. I've always been a coffee drinker and just realized that my husband bought a different brand of coffee about the same time my reflux started. I had coffee this morning and 5 minutes later the reflux began! Could that be it???

Yes.

I’m so depressed. I finally found Effexor helping but the acid reflux comes about two hour after taking it. I am taking Pepcid ac, but cannot take that forever. What do I do? Switch meds or give it a few more weeks? My doctor tried switching me to tablets to see if that works, but tried it for two days, still got acid reflux and made me feel like I was in withdrawal from the effexor. So today back to the capsules and now have burning acid reflux. I worried about damaging my throat and it feels awful. 

I do drink cofee but it never bothered me before! This morning I had some eggs , bacon and pancakes ( small portion) —— reflux instantly after taking it! That was two hours after I took effexor.   Do I just keep taking the Pepcid ac for two weeks while I take my normal capsules of Effexor? I read on another forum that one person said it took her 6 weeks for the reflux to go away

23 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

I do drink cofee but it never bothered me before! This morning I had some eggs , bacon and pancakes ( small portion) —— reflux instantly after taking it! That was two hours after I took effexor.   Do I just keep taking the Pepcid ac for two weeks while I take my normal capsules of Effexor? I read on another forum that one person said it took her 6 weeks for the reflux to go away

Well it clearly does now !

On 10/1/2018 at 1:00 PM, notloki said:

On 10/1/2018 at 1:00 PM, notloki said:

I’m having so much anxiety and panic after upping my Effexor dosage to 150mg. It’s been two weeks on that dose. Why am I feeling anxious now? Will this settle in the next few weeks? I don’t want to keep going up if this is going to keep happening 

You eventually felt a better from the last increase—it just took time.  I believe that that trend will probably remain until you’re at your set therapeutic goal.