CrazyBoards.org

I just found out that I have an overactive thyroid. I’m also brutally detoxing off of gabapentin again.

so I’m not quite sure what is causing my anxiety. 

Has as anyone here been treated for Graves’ disease and gotten better?

Well, an overactive thyroid can certainly ratchet up the anxiety. How bad is it?

Severe. Enough to want me to hurt myself. I haven’t gone that far and I see the endocrinologist on the 18th. 

I have so many many symptoms but they all can also be the gabapentin withdrawals. 

I’m sorry you’re going through this again, Sonic. The combination sounds dire.

Are there things you do (not take) in situations like this that can calm you? Beloved movies you can watch? Prayer? Hot bath?

They really called it Graves' disease? Something that can cause depression and anxiety and can lead to thoughts of self harm and maybe suicide, and they called it Graves'? That's not helpful. I don't have any experience of this but I do have experience of hurting myself and I do understand but don't do it. No-one has ever looked back and thought how glad they are that they self-harmed.

1 hour ago, Fluent In Silence said:

They really called it Graves' disease? 

Yes, and like alot of diseases and illnesses, it is named after a person. 

4 minutes ago, helenllama said:

Yes, and like alot of diseases and illnesses, it is named after a person. 

I presumed that was the case but still, if Dr Certaindeath discovers a disease you'd think that they might have enough tact to call it something different. "You have Certaindeath disease but it's nothing to worry about." Who the hell wants to have a disease named after them anyway? You can't really feel any pride to hear that every year so many people die from a disease named after you. And Graves' obviously makes you think about death, which isn't a good thing for an illness which can cause depression and anxiety. If Dr Graves wanted to have his name forever linked with people's suffering then there was something wrong with him. Call it Unicorn Herpes or whatever, it doesn't really matter, except when it does. If I hadn't read this post and gained a little understanding of what it was then if someone had said "I have Graves' disease." I probably would've assumed that it was fatal.

Oh I'm probably making too much of this.

They did another blood test while in IP and it shows everything perfect so idk what’s up.