CrazyBoards.org

Towards the end of August of this year and the beginning of this month, I was a bit manic, and then on 9/5/18, I saw my pdoc, and she put me on divalproex sodium ER (Depakote ER) 500 mg every morning and olanzapine (Zyprexa) 10 mg as needed for mania.

Since starting the Depakote, I've already noticed that I am feeling rather flat and unmotivated, and that I'm slowly becoming depressed. It's been about four days into taking the Depakote, not long really, but I'm a little alarmed. A good friend of mine who's very knowledgeable with medications said that this is a very small dose, and I deduced that I would not feel much of anything, but I'm wondering if I'm sensitive to the anti-manic effects of it and that it might be putting me "too far on the other side" of euthymia...

Does anyone maybe have any insight on this, or has anyone maybe even experienced this same thing? Could this possibly be the Depakote this quickly into taking it, or is this maybe just "post-manic depression," or what? 

I've also been taking the olanzapine (Zyprexa) nightly since it was prescribed to me to make sure I get good sleep, as getting good sleep was one of the things my pdoc instructed me to do since the main thing that precipitated my manic episode was lack of sleep. This probably confounds the clinical picture a bit, but I figured I would mention this.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Towards the end of August of this year and the beginning of this month, I was a bit manic, and then on 9/5/18, I saw my pdoc, and she put me on divalproex sodium ER (Depakote ER) 500 mg every morning and olanzapine (Zyprexa) 10 mg as needed for mania.

Since starting the Depakote, I've already noticed that I am feeling rather flat and unmotivated, and that I'm slowly becoming depressed. It's been about four days into taking the Depakote, not long really, but I'm a little alarmed. A good friend of mine who's very knowledgeable with medications said that this is a very small dose, and I deduced that I would not feel much of anything, but I'm wondering if I'm sensitive to the anti-manic effects of it and that it might be putting me "too far on the other side" of euthymia...

Does anyone maybe have any insight on this, or has anyone maybe even experienced this same thing? Could this possibly be the Depakote this quickly into taking it, or is this maybe just "post-manic depression," or what? 

I've also been taking the olanzapine (Zyprexa) nightly since it was prescribed to me to make sure I get good sleep, as getting good sleep was one of the things my pdoc instructed me to do since the main thing that precipitated my manic episode was lack of sleep. This probably confounds the clinical picture a bit, but I figured I would mention this.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Yes. The same thing happened to me on it around 20 years ago. Hated that one. 

Zyprexa makes me more depressed but does help with sleep. 

3 hours ago, gb84 said:

Zyprexa makes me more depressed but does help with sleep. 

Yes, I too find that Zyprexa makes me a bit more depressed. Yet this time around (I started taking it before my appointment with my pdoc, about 2 or 3 days before), I'm finding that it is brightening my mood just a tad. But I guess maybe that effect might have worn off or has reverted back to making me feel depressed again. Who knows... maybe I should stop taking it. I've been reading lots of good things about trimipramine (Surmontil) as far as helping with sleep and depression. I'm thinking about making a post about it, but it's pretty obscure. I doubt if anyone on here has taken it.

Depakote made my depression worse. I also ate everything that wasn't nailed down. I think I was on 1000 mg, but I don't really remember for sure. YMMV.

I hated Depakote. Sucked the life right out of me.

• Like 1

For an anti-manic, Depakote is the only thing that's provided me complete relief. Everyone knows that lamotrigine is a mood stabilizer but it wasn't exactly "calming" and I tried oxcarbazepine which worked fairly well but I just needed something more calming. Depakote really was it for me. Hasn't had an appreciable effect on my weight or appetite, but I have gained some, and I'm also on Rexulti which doesn't help matters.

500mg of ER really is a small dose in the grand scheme of things, but 500mg of Depakote ER with Zyprexa is a bit different I suppose as they are both potent anti-manics. My recommendation really would be to move the Depakote to the evening if your pdoc doesn't have a problem with it. Might further assist with sleep and help to keep the VPA levels lower during the day.

For me, the depressive feelings came at about 1500mg. It's possible that you might just be sensitive to it. I think we determined that you have high MAO-A and COMT correct? Depakote will further increase MAO-A and inhibit synthesis of catecholamines (exacerbating the COMT problem). So you could be looking at some monoamine/catecholamine "depletion" (if you want to call it that). But post-manic depression seems more likely.

I guess I just don't see any reason to use moderate dose olanzapine with small dose valproate. 10-15mg of Zyprexa should be able to squash most things. I personally never took more than 5mg of it.

• Thanks 1

It is kind of a quandary what’s doing what when you’re on two mania-stompers at once. 

Have you checked your blood pressure? In 2016 I went sufficiently nuts that my pnurse put me on Zyprexa to try to shut down the mania. It didn’t work, but it tanked my BP -dropped it into 80/40 range- and made me feel speshul weird

When I started depakote, the dr told me it can level you out, but leave you depressed. She said I might need to add something else in to combat depression. I had a bad reaction and didn't keep taking it, so I never got that far.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      How do you go about most of your days when you're feeling totally ignored, neglected, unloved, lonely, invisible, and useless, like you don't matter to anyone? I can accept that I will always have depression (and the emptiness & struggle that comes with that) that i must (and do) treat, but it is becoming more and more difficult to accept that I don't deeply matter to anyone but the 2 people that gave birth to me (who will soon be gone).
      No one else gives a damn. No one is really truly there for you (especially when the chips are down). This is where much of my suffering comes from and why life often does not seem worth living. Does having "self-love" make up for this pain & isolation? And if so, how do you "love yourself"? I already do millions of "self-care' activities everyday, regular therapy appointments, read too many self-help books, and I still have this crushing pain, emptiness and self-hatred inside.

• By Blahblah
      So, I guess this post is about how I can deal with this issue...My SO is on his iPhone 24/7, even while walking down the street, eating meals with me, and when we are watching TV or a film at home. I cannot get him to get off it! I look over his shoulder and its crap (not important stuff), like stupid memes, Twitter feed, sports scores.
      I've told him constantly that it really irritates me and makes me feel like I do not matter. I feel ignored. Yet he keeps going back on it. What else can I do??? Then I start going on my iPhone too, and this gets me depressed. I try to go out, and keep myself occupied away from him, but then when we're together he's non-stop digitally connected.
    • By sming
      Heyup,
      I'm taking Vyvanse for my 20+ year treatment-resistant depression and it's working better than anything I've ever tried (the bad news is that the last 3-4 days it's losing its potency and/or taking longer to kick in, but that's another story). 
      I am asking about its variable effectiveness since I also found it to vary even when it was still potent. E.g. Monday my mood would be 6/10 depression (10/10 is best mood) then Tues 4/10 then Weds 7/10. 
      Anyone know why this variability happens? Anyone got any tips?
      FTR I'm on 150mg Brand Lamictal, Abilify 5mg, 15mg Percocet (for chronic pain), 60mg Vyvanse, 36mg concerta (since the Vyvanse lasts 8 hours max), 20mg Omeprazole (for NERD, GERD's geeky cousin), 100mg trazodone (for sleep), 300 ranitidine (for NERD). I take the meds at the same times every day.
      Many thanks!
      Pete

• By Blahblah
      Do any of you here successfully function in an "Open work environment"? Seems it's the norm in the workplace now: no cubicles, no offices or privacy. Only a big open area where you are squished by coworkers along long tables 24/7. It is loud, anxiety producing and distractable, especially for introverts with MI like me. Coworkers hear your phone calls, see your computer screen....and supposedly, this "encourages better communication" whatever....
      I used to work at a place set up like this, couldn't hack it. Looking for a new job, but I'm really afraid that all places are like this nowadays and it makes me super anxious. I WISH I could work mainly remote, but it's not a possibility with most roles, or unless you've been at a place for a long time.  (I don't do tech/programming work that can be done remote)
      Would you decline a great job in this environment? Or would you try to negotiate set remote days up front?
    • By Rabidtears
      Since starting Wellbutrin last august i have felt fairly stable as far as my depression goes. I have felt normal and sometimes almost upbeat in a way that did not slip into euphoria. I started taking Ritalin last year or this year due to insurance issues with my nuvigil for narcolepsy. I also had a......traumatic?? life experience where I learned that my husband had cheated on me and may have gotten this girl knocked up. We are trying to work things out, and I've been dealing, but it is hard. It constantly plays through my mind. She is always between us. That had a big triggering effect on me. Since then, back in April, I have been utilizing my support group and working on building myself back up and redefining my reality. It is a lot of work, but I have managed and I am learning to deal with it better.
      Lately though, I have felt my anxiety crawling up. I have also been super emotional. Crying for no obvious reason (in that moment, i will be fine and then something as minor as a sigh can trigger tears). I am aware that wellbutrin can cause issues with anxiety. Mine has always been very high though. Can anxiety cause you to cry like depression does? I'm not saying I'm not depressed right now....Just...I don't even know what I am trying to say or ask. I can't think. My thoughts are so disorganized right now. I did have two cups of coffee this morning..
      One day I'll be perfectly fine and stable. The next day I may be overly emotional. The next day I may be good again. The next,awful or bad. I started keeping a mood chart about a month ago and it looks like an active seismograph! From day to day I cannot say how I might feel. To my knowledge I have not been diagnosed with rapid cycling anything, but my pdoc is still getting to know me. I was already medicated when I started seeing him with tweaks here and there.
      I've also learned I do not deal well with change. My husband started a new job and works as a mechanic during the day and a tow truck driver on nights and weekends so it feels like he is always gone. It going to take a lot of adjustment and I have not been handling it well.
      I've spent the last year applying for jobs and I cannot get hired anywhere. Part of me is thankful because I"m not sure how I would handle working around people, but a part of me is highly disappointed because I want to work. It feels so controversial. I do not want to just bum around and be completely dependent on anyone, but at the same time I am TERRIFIED of getting into the workforce again. I haven't worked in years because I have been home caring for children. Now, they are all in school and I worry, if I find a job then who will be home with them when they are sick? Who will take them to appointments? Things like that. What if I get a job and I can't control my emotions? I break down or have a very irritable day/s? I stay irritable. I always have. I can fake the happy personality, but I won't excel at my job doing that I don't think. I learn slow. I would once again have to adjust  to something new. I avoid watching most tv, and listening to a lot of music as well as being around most people because I'm worried I'll be triggered into one emotion or another and not be able to pull myself out of it.
      People have asked me more than once why have I not applied for SSI?
      It seems so final I guess. I guess I'm worried that there will be no turning back if I do that. What else am I going to do though? I'm not doing anything currently except for being a money pit. I need to do something to help our household. I feel...what is the word...inept? useless? I'm not sure. I do not even know if my symptoms are uncontrolled enough to qualify if that is a thing. Do you have to be constantly uncontrolled to qualify?
      I am sorry the post was so long. I apologize again for being all over the place. I needed to get all of that out, but I had no idea how.
      I tell everyone that "I am fine."  /sigh