CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone had any noticeable side effects from Levothyroxine? I was on it for quite awhile and then I ran out of RX so I was off it last 2 months. I didn't really notice much during the 2 months i didn't take it. My bloods are normal also, so I wonder if it does anything at all for me (TSH was a bit high previously).

Anyway, did anyone have any weight loss, more energy or improvement in depression?  Any gastro issues? Also do you take it morning (i took it right before bed bc I get up at different times and eat breakfast immediately). I've been feeling slightly more tired & suddenly gaining weight, so might go back on it.

Edited by Blahblah

I was extremely tired and diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroid plus a couple other less chronic things, and I did feel better after starting meds. I’ve been on them for years and my labs on them are fine. It wasn’t magic like I’d hoped but not interested in going off, since I see no reason the underlying cause would be gone. 

On 9/11/2018 at 3:48 AM, Blahblah said:

Has anyone had any noticeable side effects from Levothyroxine? I was on it for quite awhile and then I ran out of RX so I was off it last 2 months. I didn't really notice much during the 2 months i didn't take it. My bloods are normal also, so I wonder if it does anything at all for me (TSH was a bit high previously).

Anyway, did anyone have any weight loss, more energy or improvement in depression?  Any gastro issues? Also do you take it morning (i took it right before bed bc I get up at different times and eat breakfast immediately). I've been feeling slightly more tired & suddenly gaining weight, so might go back on it.

If your blood work is normal I don’t understand why your dr would put you back on levothyroxine? Maybe I misunderstood. 

To answer your questions, I don’t think I could go without it for 2 months. What dose were you on? Were your TSH and other levels still high while on it? 

I had some weight loss, I didn’t notice much more energy or a ton of less tiredness (still need nuvigil unfortunately, but I also have sleep disorders too so ymmv), and lastly I didn’t notice any improvement in my depression or MH symptoms in general unfortunately.

I’ve never had any gastro issues really. Is levothyroxine supposed to cause some in some people? I have zero side effects from it.

I take it in the morning as that is how I was instructed to do so. Then I wait an hour minimum like it says to eat anything. I usually get ready or check email, etc. until an hour has passed then I’ll eat. 

I would get your TSH levels checked if you have been feeling tired and gaining weight for no other reason. Talk to your endocrinologist dr about getting the labs done. Mine has me get them done at least every 3-6 months. 3 ish months if I’ve had a dose change in the levothyroxine, or more like 6 months if I’ve not recently had a dose change. I have a great endocrinologist. I’m lucky. My TSH was recently high again but not OMG concerning high, but since I was having a lot of symptoms he increased my levothyroxine dose a tiny bit to see if that would help. So far not really but it might take a little while to notice benefit. It was a recent increase so...

Anyway, good luck! I know how much these thyroid disorders can suck. I’m just lucky my two ultrasounds showed nothing serious! Just excess tissue. I do have swallowing issues because of this. Nothing major like choking but it does feel horrible. Like the food won’t go down my throat.

I hope you get things figured out for you so that you are feeling your best. 

For treating mental illnesses the idea is to push the level(s) to the top of normal or higher.

I was put in it initially (about 3 years ago now) because my TSH was 10 and i had noticed severe lethargy, more depression, always cold hands/feet,  dry skin (classic hypo symtpoms) etc. TSH quickly went down to around 2-3 (where it should be, doc wants it between 1-2) Last I tested (after being off it) it was 3-something (so creeping up a bit).

My eye doctor said it is causing Dry eye and gave me drops to take. The dry eye went away the last month that i stopped the med. Now I've reinstated, but having some upset stomach issues in morning. Maybe because my body is just adjusting to the dose again? Basically, they said it's for "prevention" even though I'm only very subclinical Hypo, I should think about staying on it, so symptoms above don't come back. So I guess I'll go back on it .25 mcg dose).

Most people stay on Levo their entire life right? Even if they are very subclinical? I'm one of those borderline cases I guess.

Thyroid disease (autoimmune, Hashimoto's) are lifetime illnesses requiring a lifetime of treatment. The goal in supplementation is to return levels to normal, which is a range.

It sounds like this is not a mental health question.

36 minutes ago, notloki said:

Thyroid disease (autoimmune, Hashimoto's) are lifetime illnesses requiring a lifetime of treatment. The goal in supplementation is to return levels to normal, which is a range.

It sounds like this is not a mental health question.

My doctor (GP) told me that I wouldn't need to necessarily take it for life, which I find strange. She said she believed it was the psych med at the time could have been messing with my TSH level (and prolactin levels, which also also went high on this psych med).  So I don't know...I will get a 2nd opinion, maybe from an endo, since I am not taking that psych med anymore.

Yes, thyroid stuff is a question of hormones, but thyroid issues often directly affect your mental health, right?  I am still very depressed, even when my thyroid is the "perfect level" though....I don't know.

Edited by Blahblah