CrazyBoards.org

DammitJanet

Foods/meds that affect amphetamine absorption? (Especially meds)

Just now, Iceberg said:

Lithium can affect amphetamine levels 

Well at least I’m not on that one! Thanks!

There is nothing that can negate amphetamine that you eat or drink.  pH has a lot to do with absorption. If the urine or stomach contents are too acidic there will be less absorption. Too basic and there will be more absorption.  

The ER treatment for amphetamine "OD" is to make things acidic, some other stuff, and general supportive measures. 

Edited by notloki

I did see that acid/ph can affect, but my post ECT brain can’t figure out how it pertains to me when I wake every morning with gastric reflux and then take nexium. 

7 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

I did see that acid/ph can affect, but my post ECT brain can’t figure out how it pertains to me when I wake every morning with gastric reflux and then take nexium. 

If you have acid reflux in the morning, have you considered taking the Nexium in the evening? It takes several hours to work for me, but when it does, it lasts for a whole day. I take mine in the evening to get coverage all night.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jt07 said:

If you have acid reflux in the morning, have you considered taking the Nexium in the evening? It takes several hours to work for me, but when it does, it lasts for a whole day. I take mine in the evening to get coverage all night.

Aw doh I’m an idiot! Great idea! Wonder why I didn’t think of that...

thanks so much!

On 9/13/2018 at 3:07 PM, DammitJanet said:

Gastric reflux has nothing to do with this. I take Zantac for reflux every morning and have not noticed a difference but taking Tums just prior to taking my amphetamine makes a difference. Zantac and especially Nexium take time to work (hours), you don't take them and suddenly your stomach contents don't change in pH. Taking Tums causes a quick change in pH. Tums is basic so it lowers acidic environments. Keep in mind the pH of the urine has a lot to do with elimination. Nexium, Zantac and all the acid reducers lower the amount of acid but don't change the pH.

Sorry but this is basic high school chemistry. You learn about pH and acid/base reactions in high school.

Edited by notloki
Nexium, Zantac and all the acid reducers lower the amount of acid but don't change the pH.

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Gastric reflux has nothing to do with this. I take Zantac for reflux every morning and have not noticed a difference but taking Tums just prior to taking my amphetamine makes a difference. Zantac and especially Nexium take time to work (hours), you don't take them and suddenly your stomach contents don't change in pH. Taking Tums causes a quick change in pH. Tums is basic so it lowers acidic environments. Keep in mind the pH of the urine has a lot to do with absorption and elimination. 

Sorry but this is basic high school chemistry. You learn about pH and acid/base reactions in high school.

Ignored.  No one here appreciates your smarmy superiority complex. 

@DammitJanet I have similar issues with acid that lithium seems to make worse. If I don't take something it can get bad...as in I wake up in the middle of the night and  throw up several times. However, I find that the symptoms are not as bad in the afternoon. So I take Pepcid about 2 hours before my meds so when I fall asleep or holds me through the night and morning when things are worse...my point is just it may take some playing around with the timing 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

@DammitJanet I have similar issues with acid that lithium seems to make worse. If I don't take something it can get bad...as in I wake up in the middle of the night and  throw up several times. However, I find that the symptoms are not as bad in the afternoon. So I take Pepcid about 2 hours before my meds so when I fall asleep or holds me through the night and morning when things are worse...my point is just it may take some playing around with the timing 

Thanks. I did take it in the early evening yesterday and woke up without it coming up my throat, mouth, and nose. That was a huge relief.